XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an 03-05 coupe reliable enough for this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is an 03-05 coupe reliable enough for this?

This is my third post and after lurking for a while, I registered, introduced myself and commented about a car needed rotors. Now that I have all of the self-confidence I need (lol) I could use some wise and sage advice. I drive about 20k a year for work and spend 48 weeks a year on the road. I am a consultant to the automotive industry and I do management leadership and other areas of operations training. Because I spend so much time behind the wheel, I want a car I will enjoy driving, enjoy driving and enjoy driving. So, will an 03-05 (budget) be reliable for this type of driving which is mostly highway. I can do a lot of my own maintenance and will maintain it by the book and then some. The challenges are finding a nice one and a conv. is just not the ticket for me. Am I better off looking for a highway cruiser and buy the Jag for the weekends? What say all of the wiser than me folks here. I will have it serviced at Bill Knight in Tulsa for the difficult work.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is an 03-05 coupe reliable enough for this...

I bought my 02 Coupe as a daily driver 3 1/2 years ago at 45,000 miles. She is now at 145,000 miles and has been very reliable. Any repairs (usual stuff: bearings, thermostat, brake switch etc) was done without being towed (ooops fuel pump required towing...but that was after it sat for two weeks...) and on my schedule.

I live near Cape Cod and finally bought a Mercedes Sedan to haul people and boat stuff around and to pamper her a bit when the snow flies. I see no reason why you should have a problem...especially when you monitor this great forum and can be pro-active.

Caveat: When you drive her every day you lose some appreciation of what you have. Another side benefit of a second car. You get to say ahhhhh when you slip behind the wheel.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:08 PM

You are right about the ahhhhh factor! I wish it was in the budget for two cars but then it would be 3 as the wifey needs a new car as well. I will be patient to find the right car. I have a great work relationship with a Jag dealer in Tulsa. They are great people. A 03,04,05 black with light interior is my perfect car especially an XKR. But these cars are really hard to find. Patience grasshopper I remind myself.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 PM

Outside of a late Aston these are the sexiest cars on the road and for the3 money hands down the best lines. I knew all those art classes in high school were not wasted! I am just stunned by how good looking the coupe is.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I have had a 2005 XKR coupe for over three years and it has been great...no major problems. If you find a well-cared for 2003-2006 XK8 or XKR coupe and continue realistic PM the car should be very reliable and a great highway ride. However, you are correct; the 2003-2006 cars are getting really hard to find, particularly in mint/good condition. Keep scanning ebay, edmonds and autotrader on a weekly basis and you will eventually spot one. When you do get ready to move quick as it is likely to be snapped up fast. In fact, if I had an extra bay in the garage I would be parking a 2003-2006 XKR drop top right next to my 2005 XKR coupe. Of course that is with the wife's permission.

Good luck and enjoy the road ahead.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi, Ajag!

Just go for it. I drove a 99 XK8 coupe for six years as a daily driver: 100 mi RT commute, mostly freeway miles. Main issues for me were O2 sensors replaced, throttle body cleaning, tires/brakes/oil changes and a pollution control valve in the gas tank had to be replaced when it failed and prevented filling the tank (!). Otherwise I had no other real problems with the car until an idiot cut me off and totaled it. It had more than 135,000 miles on the OD when I said goodbye. You will relish your time in the Jag, and if anything does pop up, the forum is here to help.

Best of luck finding a nice one. You might want to also check wholesalers and dealers that specialize in higher-end toys, like speedboats, yachts, etc. I bought my car from Steve Pound Wholesale in Portland, Ore. If one of these wholesalers knows you are looking, they might consider keeping an eye peeled for a late-model XKR parked in someone's garage that needs a new home. My "new" 2000 XK8 convertible had a little over 9,000 miles on the OD when I bought it for a very fair price.

Good luck!

Last edited by Nce Kty; 01-05-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I bought my 03 convertible last spring. It had about 71,000 on it when I bought it. Two months later I took it on a 7500 mile trip, two week trip. I had two minor problems; the first was because of some bad gasoline I bought in the desert of Nevada. The second problem, a "gearbox fault" on the dashboard display, fixed itself and the cause is still unknown. Neither incident required a tow. I was very pleased with the performance of the car. I've put about 10,000 miles on it since I bought it, and even with over 80,000 miles on it now, I would not be afraid to use it as my daily driver.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 PM

Being in the automotive business, I learned there is a system called V-auto. It lists every car for sale anywhere in the US and how much it is. I can access that system to find the perfect and I just now reminded myself of it! Man I really appreciate the replies. I have already had my midlife crisis (ugly) and have decided the 48 weeks on the road and 50-60 hour work weeks for 25 years I have worked it's my time. Probably safer as well.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I was at a dealership a while back and he pulled up something on his computer which showed the auction price for every vehicle which had been sold at auction for the last several months. That's how he was estimating what he could give me for my trade. Is that V-auto? It was very cool. I just went to the vauto website but it wasn't very clear what services they offered, and I didn't feel like digging into the details to try to figure it out.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't compromise, I also wanted a 4.2l black coupe with light interior. Though i came close, I didn't compromise, and after a long search i finally found one, and ya i had to move very fast to get it. I had not seen a black coupe that was in pristine condition in person before, so when i saw it i was stunned and so very glad that i waited.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Go for it! My 2006 convertible was purchased new with 18 miles on it and now has 99,000. Although I work from home now it was my daily driver in some pretty bad traffic (SF Bay Area) In my opinion it has been very reliable and has never needed a tow. The most serious problem was a "limp home" issue about 2,000 miles ago. I had to drive it to my mechanic with one foot on the gas and one foot on the brake (I had to maintain 1,000 RPM to avoid it sending into a malfunctioning limp home mode). This turned out to be a bad throttle position sensor, which means a new throttle body - 950.00 installed for the later models about half the cost of the 4.0l cars. It wasn't fun but it was not catastrophic either.

I assume you are talking XK8, the maintenance cost should be much less as the brakes and shocks are considerably less expensive. However if you can afford it do not rule out an "R". Very nice on the highway, gas mileage is still great for the car segment and later model XKRs were typically fully equipped in North America so they are all fully optioned. Also I know the 03-05 coupes are very rare, the body is truly beautiful but if you are a little flexible do not rule out a convertible. With the top up it is quieter than a lot of other coupes and sedans out there, the only additional issue is with the hydraulic lines or "green shower" but that another thread.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:09 PM

Thanks to everyone who has replied here. I am curious just how many coupes were produced compared to the convertibles. It seems like 1 coupe for every 10 convertibles but that is just a wild guess.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Old 01-06-2011, 02:33 PM

Thanks form the info link!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

My 03 convertible has been my daily transportation the last four years and has served me very well. Also, I have a friend from the Jag club that works at Bill Knight.

Mike

Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2001 XKR convertible is turning into more of a daily driver than I planned on in the last 5 months. It's too much fun to drive!! But then again, I have a 4 mile commute.

I bought my Navigator from Bill Knight, different location but same dealer. Very recommended, live around the corner. Wish the Jag came from them but found it up the street at Jim Norton Toyota. Got a 48K, 4 yr warantee that covers darn near anything for $2500? BUT I have to go to them first and not Jag dealer (Bill Knight).

Small world...

Stratohammer -- you in T-Town?

Ajag -- I too have been lurking since I bought it in August. This forum has both incredible resources and people!! Fixed my headrest in a snap! Gotta figure out how the warrantee is gonna work w tensioner issue. And I plan on modifying the pump pressure on convertible top soon. ALSO -- BK did all the service on mine since new, I'd like to drop in there some time and try to get printouts of everything done to it. Think you can help? Afraid privacy laws might prevent it, but they can redact all that if needed.

Last edited by silverstone; 01-06-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Silverstone,

I'm in Owasso. Please consider meeting up with fellow Jaguar enthusiasts at our next club breakfast.

Details at http://www.jaguarcluboftulsainc.com/

Mike

The following users liked this post:
silverstone (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 09:43 PM

Silverstone,
PM me your info with VIN and I can get that info for you. I will be in Tulsa sometime in the next week and I will be stopping in to see them. I will call them and have them email the info with your permission.

The following users liked this post:
silverstone (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ajag -- I THINK I pm'd you, newbie to this, let me know if I screwed up and it didn't go thru. Thanks a ton, history on these is huge. Tensioner service and hydraulic top especially!! Don't rule out the convertible or XKR or BOTH!!! I love it.

Mike -- will check it out. I'm really new to this beast. I just upgraded from the ex-wifes 04 Volvo vert. It was a nice car, but just not me. A 'soccer mom's' convertible...

Thanks to all on this great forum!!

Old 01-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldlion
I have had a 2005 XKR coupe for over three years and it has been great...no major problems. If you find a well-cared for 2003-2006 XK8 or XKR coupe and continue realistic PM the car should be very reliable and a great highway ride. However, you are correct; the 2003-2006 cars are getting really hard to find, particularly in mint/good condition. Keep scanning ebay, edmonds and autotrader on a weekly basis and you will eventually spot one. When you do get ready to move quick as it is likely to be snapped up fast. In fact, if I had an extra bay in the garage I would be parking a 2003-2006 XKR drop top right next to my 2005 XKR coupe. Of course that is with the wife's permission.

Good luck and enjoy the road ahead.
It is easier to beg forgiveness then to obtain Permission!

Quick Reply: Is an 03-05 coupe reliable enough for this?