Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05-06 XK8 - Driver Seat Module and Cruise Control Switch Different

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 10:32 AM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 05-06 XK8 - Driver Seat Module and Cruise Control Switch Different

Hi Guys,

This site has been very helpful for me over the years. And I ran into an issue awhile back and the site wasn't able to help me. But I have solved the problems and now wish to share the answer with others.

Driver's Seat Module: About 18 months ago my driver seat module stopped letting the seat back move forward or backward. I came here to the board and saw the threads about soldering a jumper wire on the board. I have lots of electronic experience and tried to tackle the problem but could not get the wire onto the board where it needed to be. I took the car to my mechanic. He swapped the module out and sent me on my way. It wasn't for a few months till I went to use the seat heater and it did not function - No light on - No hot seat. I lived with it, 8 weeks ago whenever I moved the seat forward or back the fuse blew. And when you use the button to raise and lower the seat the side mirrors fold in. Fortunately I kept my original seat module. The Driver Seat Module for a 2005/2006 XK8 is an LJE2160AB. Earlier years are LNC2160** to LJE2160AA. There are a slew of letter combos at the end of the LN2160.

The LNC2160 can be purchased very easily for $150. And if you wait a few weeks on ebay you can buy it for $80. But in the past 18 months there have been no LJE2160AB on ebay. I finally folded and decided to buy a new on. The Jaguar dealership network has the part listed from $373 to $450. But once you get to the part page to purchase it -it tells you the part is discontinued. I finally found Royal Jaguar of Tucson with the part in stock bought and paid for it. Only to be refunded two days later that the part was not available. There are several Jaguar used parts vendors online and they are asking $1050 to $1250 for the module.

I have been actively searching for the parts online and this past week a local Jag junk yard got a 2005 XK8 in they were parting out. I called and they had the seat module. $300. I went and bought it. And boom everything works again.

The next part is a little more challenging. My 06 XK8 is a Copper Black Victory Edition with the light almost white interior. The car came with a beautifully fully wrapped leather steering wheel. I drive with one had on the top of the wheel and the other on the shifter. And the leather where I keep my hand on the wheel disintegrated. Quotes from local upholstery shops to repair the steer wheel were over $1k.

I waited patiently and boom one day on Ebay a brand new steering wheel in the right color and fully leather wrapped (no visible wood on steering wheel) pops up on Ebay. Price $115. New part was around $800. I got the wheel, was delighted it was brand new, perfect and the correct color. I read the instructions on this forum and swapped the steering wheel out, without blowing up the air bag and swapped the steering wheel. Took 30 mins to wait for the battery to drain. And only 12 minutes to change the wheel and put it back together.

I was really delighted with my project. I looked at the old wheel. I recently had spent thousands and thousands of dollars having all kinds of crap hauled away from my house because I keep and save everything. I looked at the wheel. And told myself - Dave you will never use a steering wheel with trashed leather - So I tossed it in the trash bin. And a few hours later the truck grabbed the trash can and it was gone.

The next day I go to use the car. And 90 seconds after I start the car I get the orange warning light on the dash and a message that Cruise Control Unavailable. And if I his the ASL button I get Speed Limiter Unavailable.

I came on to this forum and did some searching. I even made a post asking for health. Someone posted that there could be different resistance for different years. I spent hours and hours researching and couldn't find an answer. I went shopping for a cruise control switch. There is one part number that comes up C2C17363 / C2C17364. And from the diagrams it appears to be the correct part.

The Jaguars parts network comes up with these part numbers when you run a search for 2006 Cruise Control Switch. And the web page with the steering wheel exploded parts diagram says 2000-2006 Steer ing Wheel or 2003-2006 Steering Wheel. But when you click on the actual cruise control switch part - the site / webpage then says the cruise switch is only for year 2003-2004 and that it does not work for 2006.

I did more research and did find a part numbers for the 2006 Cruise switch C2N3286 - And that part number comes up on lots of sites. But when you click to the actual part number, it is not the correct switch pack for the steering wheel, its a square button for the center console.

Also to note, while the cruise control switch did not function the phone and Volume buttons did work without a problem.

I purchased 2 different switch packs off ebay - listed as being for years including 2006 but when I installed them the problem persisted. I went to my local Jag dealer. No Help. I contacted several big online Jag parts vendors, but they could not help. I emailed Jaguar UK and Jaguar North America, and could not get an answer.

When I went to pick up the Drivers seat Module from the Jaguar junk yard I also asked to buy the cruise control switch from the XK8 being parted out. They made me buy the entire wheel ($130). I got home. swapped the stupid switch pack......... and the message is gone.

I closely inspected the 3 different Cruise control switch packs --- There is no part number. No part sticker. No identifying impression in the case. All the wires are the exact same colors. You cannot tell the packs apart. But there is a difference on the inside. The steering wheel I had bought with the wrong switch pack was a HJB9181BB. The steering wheel needed for the 2005/2006 is and HJG9181.

I hope this information will be able to help someone else out in the future. This is a pretty confusing issue to resolve, as the answers don't seem to be anywhere.

Dave B

PS - I am in Los Angeles. I have available a Oatmeal Steering wheel with the wood in good shape. I have a cruise control switch for a 99 to 2004 XK car. And I have a Driver Programmable Seat Module (working) that all need to find a new home.

I also need to have the headrest fix done to get the headrests working. This is not my cup of tea. If anyone has done this in Los Angeles and would like to help me do mine. I would be willing to compensate.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Congrats on your persistence. These cars can certainly cause a massive headache sometimes....