XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 XK8 Driver window is off, wont close. Reset power window memory?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 XK8 Driver window is off, wont close. Reset power window memory?

The drive side power window is not working correctly.
When i open the down, the window shifts down a little bit so it can open freely. But It does not do the same when i go to close it. It does not shift properly, shifts when i lift the handle and also will raise too high for the door to close.

Ive read online that you can reset the power windows or reset the memory for the window heigth. Does anyone know how to do it on a 05 xk8?

Thank you for your time.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Ignition on, doors closed.

Lower the window all the way down, and keep the button depressed until you hear a faint clicking sound (about three seconds or so after the window has fully lowered). Release the button.

Then raise the window all the way up, and keep the button depressed until you hear a faint clicking sound (about three seconds or so after the window has fully raised). Release the button.

Repeat for the other window and you're done.

The following 2 users liked this post by The Coupe:
Frog (10-24-2013), Yann (12-29-2017)
Old 03-01-2012, 12:56 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe

Lower the window all the way down, and keep the button depressed until you hear a faint clicking sound (about three seconds or so after the window has fully lowered). Release the button.

Then raise the window all the way up, and keep the button depressed until you hear a faint clicking sound (about three seconds or so after the window has fully raised). Release the button.

+1

This may have happened because you don't use the vehicle regularly and the battery is slightly discharged.

If the vehicle is used regularly, it's often an early warning sign the battery is on the way out.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Frog (10-24-2013)
Old 03-01-2012, 02:18 PM

Tried those steps several times, and no luck.
I can hear the click after three seconds. Still hasn't fixed it.

With ignition in II, i can open the door, and the window lowers normally, but then it raises up again, to the point where the door wont close.
Also while the door is open and you lift the inner or outer door handle, the window will shift down and then back up when you release it. But it still wont close normally when its down or up.

The battery voltage is 12.50

Old 03-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Leichardti
Tried those steps several times, and no luck.
I can hear the click after three seconds. Still hasn't fixed it.

With ignition in II, i can open the door, and the window lowers normally, but then it raises up again, to the point where the door wont close.
Also while the door is open and you lift the inner or outer door handle, the window will shift down and then back up when you release it. But it still wont close normally when its down or up.

The battery voltage is 12.50
its the door open/close micro switch in the lock mechanism thats failed,,its an easy repair ..look at sams video..if you need more info i have it.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 PM

Just remove and replace?
Ill look up some videos on you tube. Do you have a link to any videos/similar pages handy?

Old 03-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

When you are resetting the window are you in the car with the door closed?

Old 03-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Originally Posted by Leichardti
Just remove and replace?
Ill look up some videos on you tube. Do you have a link to any videos/similar pages handy?
The links are in the FAQs.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:08 PM

I am in the car with the door closed when resetting. Ill find somewhere to order the switch, and fallow the instructions on the FAQ. Thank you for your time.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Before you pull the door apart spray the door latch with WD40 and work the door closed and open. At times all it needs is a little TLC. If that does not work then pull it apart. If you need the micro switches for the door I have them on my web page.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This problem comes up so often that I think a test sequence should be put in the FAQs section by one of you moderators.

The sequence would go something like this:

1) Try the standard reset procedure. This should probably be done with the engine running to make sure that you have sufficient battery voltage.

2) If the problem is solved with the engine running and recurs a day later with the engine off it is probably the battery. Try charging the battery, or get it tested.

3) While sitting in the car with the engine running open the drivers door. The interior lights should come on AND you should get the DRIVERS DOOR OPEN warning. The same goes for the passenger door. If not it is probably the microswitch.

4) If it is not the battery and not the microswitch try spraying a small amount of WD40 into the door latch to make sure that it opens fully when you open the door. You can check to see that the latch is open fully by comparing the latches on both doors with both open. This worked for me. I also lowered the striker on the door jamb by about 3/32 inch to make sure that it helped make the latch open fully.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
Before you pull the door apart spray the door latch with WD40 and work the door closed and open. At times all it needs is a little TLC. If that does not work then pull it apart. If you need the micro switches for the door I have them on my web page.

Gus, we were both typing at the same time. Looks like you can type faster than me!!

Gus (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

It sounds like you have been down this road before like me. It seems WD40 works every time I recommend it. I only hope it works for him. I had a latch mechanism apart on my bench when I found all it needed was a little lubricant. It is used at least two times when the car is taken out and is never treated with respect.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Default Thanks!

Really appreciate this...do you have any advice for "Fail Safe Engine Mode?" Never had the issue, car, 99xk8 was parked for last few months...took it out for a winters drive yesterday and this msg came up. Going to reset codes now...

Originally Posted by The Coupe

Old 02-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Reset the codes and see which ones, if any return. Then post the code numbers up here for advice.

Start a new thread on your issue alone. That way more people will see your question and it makes the forum easier to follow.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window reset 05 XK

I've had two seperate situations happen with the window set. First time was a disconnection of the battery at dealer. They did not reset the windows and when opening the door the window would drop and when closing the door the window did not go back up. Everytime you pull the door handle the window would drop a little more each time. The reset worked.

This time is different. This time the window drops when pulling the handle and when you let go of the handle the window goes back up and does not close solid leaving a gap in the window/door seal. Battery seems strong at 12.5-13.

I got the car washed today right before this happened. I'm now thinking when they wipe the door jam the towel got caught in the door latch spinning it a bit. When light out tomorrow, I will attempt the WD-40 trick and let you know the outcome. Thank you everyone for this forum. I've found a lot of useful info.

Jaime

Old 10-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Have to just stop by to thank you all again for your invaluable help. I have found a buyer for my XKR and he's due to collect the car on Saturday. As I was getting everything ready this afternoon, the windows, central locking and alarm began to behave strangely.

I reset the windows, as described above, and recharged the battery, as I have barely used the car over the last couple of months. Now everything is working perfectly again.

Thanks all

P.S. I realised how pointless it was keeping the car when checking the various documents: I have done just over 600 miles since January

GGG (10-25-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Good to hear you found a buyer, I'm sure they will be happy.

Don't forget where we live.

Frog (10-24-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 03:03 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog
............ I have found a buyer for my XKR and he's due to collect the car on Saturday. ..............
A shame it has to go but the lucky buyer will be getting one of the best Final Series available. It always looks immaculate.

I'm sure that won't be your last Jaguar!

Graham

Frog (10-25-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Congratulations on the sale, but sorry to see you go. Yours was one of my favorite cars on the forum. Guess I'll miss you both.

Be sure and send the new owner our way and let us know what the next car adventure is for you.

Quick Reply: 05 XK8 Driver window is off, wont close. Reset power window memory?