XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 xk8 coupe with 145k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1997 xk8 coupe with 145k miles?

I am looking to buy my first XK8, have owned a 97 Vanden Plas that came from an estate where thousands had benn spent on it. Drove it for along time with nothing going wrong, I got spoiled. I have found a 97 XK8 Dk. Green coupe with 145K miles, that mileage scares me, after getting a very good education on this forum I believe I know what to look for. The owner has spend $8000 in the last year and I have verified the work thru the shop, which has worked on Jags for over 20 years, it has has the heads done, a valve job, top and bottom tensioners, guides done, idler pullys, the water pump, thermostate and housing upgrades, the main computer rebuilt, also has had the transmission rebuilt last year, cooling system, hoses ect done, all new coil packs and plugs. brakes, paint and body are a 8 out of a 10. Brand new Michlins, the own er has had the wheels powder coated which I dont care for but they do look great, car looks like an Aston Martin. also the a/c system done, compressor ect. We are at the $6500. cash price now. It is 150 miles over to the other coast in Florida. Any thoughts on a 145,000 mile xk8 with all of this work done on it for that price, WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. I have looked at at least a dozen Jags but they all fall short in some respect. thanks Dave in Tampa (Dercent)

Old 10-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Hmmm...that's a tough one. A quick search on cars.com shows several coupes with far fewer miles for a lower or comparable price. Some may have had a bit of updating and upgrades, but probably not to the level of the car you're considering.

It's a bit strange that the current owner would have spent $ 8000 in the last year, and then turn around and decide to sell for less than the work he's just done.

If it were me, I would really need to feel solid about the upgrades being done, when they were done, by who and at what level of quality. If everything checked out, and the car turns you on, then maybe.

Just as a point of reference, I bought my 97 coupe this past June, 109,000 miles, for $ 6,100 after taxes, registration, etc. It was a trade-in at a local Land Rover dealer, and they really wanted to get rid of it. It does have a paint issue in the rear that I will have to address.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Default 145k jag

The owner has all the bills and receipts,,I just talked to the owner/mechanic long distance, he confirms they/he did all the work, also did the wheel bearings. The shop has been in Daytona for 27 years and does have a good rep. for work and restorations on exotic cars. The price asking and getting rid of it could be a money issue. from the 30 photos , it looks very sharpe. I am going to think hard about that 145K miles.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

You know, miles are definitely something to consider, but truth is I plan on owning my coupe for a LONG time.

The market puts importance on miles because of 1) wear and tear on mechanical parts, and 2) resale value. Well, mechanicals can be reconditioned or replaced with new parts. Unless the body shell or frame become damaged or simply turn to dust, this car can live forever.

And since I plan on owning the car to my death, resale value means little to me. It's a car that I love and I want to take the best possible care of it, regardless of the resale value equation. My joy is found in the ownership, the driving, and the time spent improving it...not in the resale.

Go drive it this weekend and see if it stirs your blood.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Save your money pal. Wait till you get $15K and buy a newer one with less miles.
You asked!!

Old 10-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Default 145k jag

This car would be just a play car probably would not drive it a 100 miles per week, have 2 other vehicles, a new Sebring convt. and an older caddy. The money is not so much an issue, but hate to follow good money with a LOT more bucks. Gonna take a ride and see what it is like. If he would come down some I would gamble and take it and could always sell off the parts, new Michlins and wheels are worth a few hundred.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

If all of that work has really been done, and done well, then you should be OK.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Its definiltely worth the 2.5 hour drive...good call for a hands on look. For that money, you're getting alot of service history, not many other 97s will give you that level of assurance.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

The "amost guaranteed" stuff yet to be done would be all the front suspension bushings (including the upper shock mounts), shocks if they haven't been replaced, maybe brake rotors and calipers if only the pads have been changed, inside rear view mirror, stereo speakers (esp the rear), maybe some door seals.

If all that can be held to around $1000-1500, and you really like the car, it's not too bad a deal IF you plan on driving it for enough years to get past the depreciation. But even after 5 more years the car should still be worth $5-6000 if you take care of it.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

I will give you another view. Im a long time Jaguar owner and have 4 right now but the one thing you have to remember is you can't turn the miles back. If you truely believe you will drive the car about 100 miles a week, thats still 5200 a year and actually keeps the car in the better than average range for a standard 97 car. Im basing this on real wholesale dealer mile averages not the trumped up, 15K a year average that some services will tell you.

So, given the work done and the miles and what you plan on driving I say go for it. The only thing I have issue with is the price. Living in Arizona we have quite a few Jags for sale here and a 97 coupe with 150K can be bought for less than 6500. Thats more, retail car lot money, HERE. I would also make the trip... make sure its as clean as he says and yes, get on the ground and look under it to make sure nothing is rotting away.

The bottom line is go with your gut... if you see it and your heart skips a beat then ya know. If you look at it and think........your just not sure, then pass, another one will come along.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

If everything has fixed and you want a 97 model specifically, then go for it. Sounds like all of the potential issues have been recently addressed.

As for driving it, these cars like to be driven a lot. If you let them sit, problems seem to develop quickly.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:37 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

And, make sure it wasn't involved in any of the hurricanes over the past 14 years.

Autocheck/Carfax for sure.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts
Default View from the UK

I think that the only consideration is whether to go for an XK8 or an XKR. I'm really happy with the grunt of the XKR - I wonder if in the future you might regret not going for the extra power. Look also at the specs carefully; the adaptive cruise control is great to have! Dave, XKR convertible with LPG upgrade and smaller top supercharger pulley.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Default 145k jag

Well took a ride, spent 2 hrs. crawling under/over and ect. Had some paint work don e on hood and trunk no vin # on 1 door nor hood???????..Drove almost good but fair seemed to lack in pow er, liked it but did not fall in love, my gut said pass, I did, Had over $6000 in hundred dollar bills, tryed $5700, no, 58, no 59 no 6000, no then I said adios. the 145K and years were just too much, I will be in Vegas and Arizona in a month and will see what is out there. Thanks for all the great thoughts and input, I feel I was right.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

It is easier to get a really great deal when you learn to say no to the really good deals.

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 10-30-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:56 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dercent
Well took a ride, spent 2 hrs. crawling under/over and ect. Had some paint work don e on hood and trunk no vin # on 1 door nor hood???????..Drove almost good but fair seemed to lack in pow er, liked it but did not fall in love, my gut said pass, I did, Had over $6000 in hundred dollar bills, tryed $5700, no, 58, no 59 no 6000, no then I said adios. the 145K and years were just too much, I will be in Vegas and Arizona in a month and will see what is out there. Thanks for all the great thoughts and input, I feel I was right.
your gut feeling said pass..you did the right thing..145k miles scares the s*+t out of me..i looked at plenty till i got the one..even my wife liked the one i got and she hates me to have nice things

Old 10-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

I think it was a smart move to walk away from that no matter how many receipts he has. Given what you have discribed I would have walked away also. You will find a much nicer one I am sure. Let us know what you come up with.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Default 145k jag

I did feel a sort of relief when I said," It is a very nice car but I am going to pass, really wanted a rag top"

Old 10-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 145k XK8 1997 Coupe

Good Move. Still a lot of potential front end and looming transmission work, and without a total rebuild you have potentially diminishing power from the Nikasil linings. If the guy who loved it enough to put that much into it says "4th and 20" you probably should wait for something with more meat on the bone.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dercent
I did feel a sort of relief when I said," It is a very nice car but I am going to pass, really wanted a rag top"
That's pretty high mileage, and an early model car. I would have passed too.

I do personally like the XK coupes more than the rag tops though

Quick Reply: 1997 xk8 coupe with 145k miles?