XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 XK8 Central Locking fuse keeps popping

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 XK8 Central Locking fuse keeps popping

I have a 1999 XK8 convertible - one of the best choices I have ever made (some minor inconveniences notwithstanding ).
I was wondering if anyone had a situation when the 10A central locking fuse keeps popping.
The symptoms are that, when locking the car with a key fob, the central locking relay clicks three times, then the lights go off, but the door locks don't lock. I can lock driver's door using the car key - no problem.
In a number of posts on this site similar situations were described and were usually cured by replacing the 10A fuse #2 in the passenger side fuse box.
I also replaced the fuse and the central locking resumed its normal operation. However, two days later it went back to not locking the doors in response to the fob or to the gear shifter moving to Drive from Park.

Any thoughts as to what can be the underlying problem that causes the fuse to trip?

One additional consideration - i had the problem with convertible roof hydraulics and converted it to manual latch operation. Don't know whether this may be a contributing factor to the central locking fuse issue, but thought I'd mention it for completeness sake.

Thank you.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The SLCM (security locking control module) is mounted in a location that causes problems. The SLCM is mounted to the underside of the fuse box in the boot (trunk). The location causes moisture build up and corrosion of the connections.
I would recommend disconnecting the battery and removing the module for a thorough cleaning of the contacts on the module and the connector. Also check for obstructions to the boot drains and make sure the battery vent is properly installed.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, Vern. I'll check the module connections and let you know what I found.