XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 XK8 Convertible premium sound conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 06:49 AM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 2000 XK8 Convertible premium sound conversion

I am a bit dense. My car is equipped with the base alpine system with cd changer. I recently acquired a premium jaguar amp and premium speakers from another member. My question is will I need to buy another wiring harness to accommodate the introduction of the amplifier?
I have not removed the rack that holds the hyd pump and cd changer to see if there are unused connectors hiding there. The premium amp has plugs in the side which according the information I have gathered are for nav and speakers. I don't have the dvd player for the nav and do not want one.
Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Denny

Last edited by GGG; 04-20-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:05 AM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Denny!
I have the same procedure in my todo-list, although with the coupe ( 1 additional center woofer ). AFAIK the connectors for the amp are for power-source and for the speakers. The audio- and control-signals come from the Ai-Net bus-cable, that goes into the cd-changer in a std.-equipped system.
I think, one has to add the missing connectors for the amp ( AMP Multilock 070 ) and connect them to existing cabling in the trunk area. The wiring to the speakers goes from radio to a connector in the armrest and from there to the individual speaker-locations. By this connector ( AMP Multilock 070) you have access to the additional speaker cabling for the premium-only speakers. So you have to add at least a wire-loom from center-armrest to the rack in the trunk. I dont have the audio-amp at hand atm, but from my memory, the Ai-Net connector ( a round, black thingy ~0,5" dia ) from the radio has to go into the amp, the CD-Changer Ai-Net must be plugged into the Amp, too.
At the HU ( Radio) there is a small microswitch at the underside, labeled with 'STD-PRM'. This has to be changed to PReMium to feed the audio-signal into the amp in trunk by Ai-Net.
Do you have the electric-guide for your car?

Greetings
Wolf

Attached Files
Old 04-20-2016, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Not 100% sure this is correct but .......... on the "base" system, the CD changer is connected to the head unit. On the "premium" system, the CD changer is connected to the amplifier and that same cable (from head unit) now connects to the amplifier (see the 'Note' on the PDF). so you will need a short 'flying lead' to connect the CD changer to the amplifier (both in trunk).
Otherwise, I think all the necessary cables are installed - not worth Jaguar making up two totally different looms for "base" and "premium" systems.

The following users liked this post:
dennysjag (04-21-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

DevonDavid:Not 100% sure this is correct but .......... on the "base" system, the CD changer is connected to the head unit. On the "premium" system, the CD changer is connected to the amplifier and that same cable (from head unit) now connects to the amplifier (see the 'Note' on the PDF). so you will need a short 'flying lead' to connect the CD changer to the amplifier (both in trunk).
You're right, in parts...
The Ai-net cable from HU connects to the Amp (there's a short pigtail), but the CD-Changer has also a short pigtail, wich with Premium-Option, has to be connected to the Amp.

The wiring for the speakers, as said before, is identical for both variants until the connector in the central armrest. From there on, the Std.-Audio is missing the harness from armrest to trunk. This has to be added...

Greetings
Wolf

The following 2 users liked this post by neatcat:
dennysjag (04-21-2016), DevonDavid (04-20-2016)