XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 XKR Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 XKR Stalling

In desperate need of help, here is everything that has happened. Was driving around town just fine when the car suddenly died on me. I could start the car right up with out any hesitation but couldn't keep it running for more then a few seconds, even if I pushed down on the gas the car would not stay running. At the time the only code that was coming up previously that morning was a knock sensor code. I had the car towed to the shop where I was told the MAF was not working so we ordered the new MAF and installed and now the car starts rough and will stay on only if the engine is being revved. Fuel pressure test showed I had good pressure and now they are telling me they believe its some kind of short. Now typically I would be doing the work myself oddly enough the day the car died I had some medical stuff and was in the hospital so I had to have a shop look into it. They were also spitting some nonsense about the alternator being bad all of a sudden but after talking with them a few times haven't heard anymore of that. My question is what could cause the engine to stall like that without throwing any kind of codes? If it is a short which with the sudden acting up leads me to believe its electrical where do I start?

Old 10-03-2017, 02:16 AM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Bjphillips
..... the only code that was coming up previously that morning was a knock sensor code. .....
Welcome to the forum Bjphillips,

I'd have thought 'fuel' but this appears to have been eliminated. What was the actual code?

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 10-03-2017, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Bjphillips
In desperate need of help, here is everything that has happened. Was driving around town just fine when the car suddenly died on me. I could start the car right up with out any hesitation but couldn't keep it running for more then a few seconds, even if I pushed down on the gas the car would not stay running. At the time the only code that was coming up previously that morning was a knock sensor code. I had the car towed to the shop where I was told the MAF was not working so we ordered the new MAF and installed and now the car starts rough and will stay on only if the engine is being revved. Fuel pressure test showed I had good pressure and now they are telling me they believe its some kind of short. Now typically I would be doing the work myself oddly enough the day the car died I had some medical stuff and was in the hospital so I had to have a shop look into it. They were also spitting some nonsense about the alternator being bad all of a sudden but after talking with them a few times haven't heard anymore of that. My question is what could cause the engine to stall like that without throwing any kind of codes? If it is a short which with the sudden acting up leads me to believe its electrical where do I start?
symptom is very much same as out of fuel.
I had a recent failure of fuel level sender and ran out of fuel as a result with guage showing 1/3 tank. Very much the same as your description.
Assuming pressure check was correctly done that may just be coincidence.
I believe the second pump can be forced by pulling the relay for first pump, this may at least rule out pump malfunction.
Edit. Only just read lower in your post. Above advice probably irrelevant.

Last edited by baxtor; 10-03-2017 at 02:37 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I had a similar problem with my XJ8. Turned out to be a bad fuel filter. I had good pressure when checked but not enough flow to run.