XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Jaguar XK8 Base Model Coupe key Locks Behaving Strange

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 07:25 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2002 Jaguar XK8 Base Model Coupe key Locks Behaving Strange

2002 XK8 Base Model, Non Adaptive, 4.0. Manufacture: England.

Depressing red icon on key fob causes locks to cycle, alarm to sound, drivers side door locks but not passenger. Twist key fast left in door lock sometimes locks both doors other times not, or, drivers door locks and not passenger then alarm sounds. ??? Ignore this post if unintentionally repeated.

EJR

Old 06-30-2017, 10:32 AM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

First thought. Hood, trunk or a door not fully shut? Did you just buy this car? How old is the car's battery?

Old 06-30-2017, 10:42 AM
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default key locks

My best bet would be the passenger door locking micro switch

Old 06-30-2017, 10:51 AM
Received 267 Likes on 199 Posts

Can you clarify a couple of things:

When you say 'locks cycle' do you mean they lock and then immediately unlock (or vice-versa), or do you mean they just lock?

What do you mean by 'alarm sounds' - does the alarm siren actually activate as if a theft was occuring or do you mean you get a 'beep'

Old 07-02-2017, 06:12 AM
Default 2002 XK8 Locks Cycling

Greetings,

It sounds as if the locks are locking and unlocking like 3 successive times then the drivers door locks and passenger is unlocked. Trunk gets locked. Other time when I press the lock button on the key fob everything locks up correctly, other times the locks start cycling again and I have to press the unlock button to prevent the theft alarm from sounding/activating. Possible micro switch?

EJR

Old 07-02-2017, 06:16 AM

All doors and trunk closed properly, battery was tested by mech and said it was good, vehicle is recent acquisition. Micro switch in passenger door failing?

Old 07-02-2017, 06:19 AM

Micro switch is located behind the small rubber disc in door jamb or where? Best way to test it's function before replacing?

Old 07-02-2017, 06:27 AM
GGG
Received 16,791 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Provided the vehicle battery is in good condition and charged, this issue is a classic indication of Door Latch micro switch on the way out.

Good news is micro switches are available separately from Jaguar (P/N C2N 1908) and can be sourced elsewhere.

See the fourth item in 'HOW TO' Videos (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-videos-77768/) for details on removing the Door Latch.

Graham

Old 07-02-2017, 07:25 AM

Graham,

Appreciate your input regarding your door locks suggestion.

EJR

Old 07-02-2017, 07:49 AM

If it proves the micro switch has gone south is it the divers side door latch/micro switch that get's switched out with replacement part? Not the passenger door?

Old 07-02-2017, 10:57 AM

I'm assuming the micro switch is contained within the door latch mechanism which must then be disassembled for removing old switch and inserting new? But only if the door latch unit is not a sealed contained unit can I perform the fix, option is to replace the entire door latch part it self...

Old 07-04-2017, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

I had almost same symptoms. I was the Door Processor Model in the DS door.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:32 AM
GGG
Received 16,791 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguar51
I'm assuming the micro switch is contained within the door latch mechanism which must then be disassembled for removing old switch and inserting new? But only if the door latch unit is not a sealed contained unit can I perform the fix, option is to replace the entire door latch part it self...
The latch mechanism can be disassembled to replace the micro switch. See the attachment in post #1 of this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oswitch-52579/

There is also a relevant TSB:

TSB 501-54 Door Ajar Switch.pdf

Graham

Old 07-10-2017, 05:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any resolution on this? I am having a similar problem.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:59 PM

B. Dunn

I have yet to take the recommended actions for the door lock issue, (replace micro switch yourself in door latch of affected door and/or replace door module located inside of door above speaker, speaker may or may not have to be removed depending on your particular vehicle?) Disconnect negative battery terminal before performing above fix. Would a code scanner help locate and define the actual door lock issue allowing you to know what action to take straight from the beginning and correct the problem without having to guess if it's a micro switch or door module or what ever multitude of other electrical/mechanical causes that come into play?

ER

Old 07-11-2017, 08:31 AM

Got me, I think we are at the same stage of mulling it over.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:00 AM

Did you insert your key into the drivers side door and make one quick turn to the left which electrically activates the locks and locks up the doors on my model car, and possibly yours operates identically? My car eventually locks up with a few try's of either using the key fob or a fast turn to the left with the key inserted into the lock. Try the quick left turn key method if you already haven't and see the result.

ER

Old 07-11-2017, 01:48 PM

Thanks, but I've not gotten the key to turn left since I bought car last year. Using the fob, the lock cycles(clicks) and the alarm goes off every time. Fob open key cancels the alarm but door finishes unlocked.
SO NOW:
After messing around I found I could open the window and lock from the inside handle then I could turn the key left and roll up the windows. Door is locked.
OR I found I can insert the key and hit lock on the fob then turn the key right to quickly disarm the alarm. At this point I CAN turn key left and door is locked.

I have a door actuator on the way but probably won't not get it installed until Sept.

B

Old 07-11-2017, 02:24 PM

Also, try a short spray of lube into the door latches and activate the locks, then determine result. Upon replacing the door actuator please respond to me with your result.

ER

Old 09-29-2017, 11:52 AM

After being out of town for awhile I got the new door actuator installed and that got the driver door to lock/unlock with key and with fob. BUT the fob locking will start a clicking and sound the alarm unless I hit fob's open. Then door stays locked, tho, and if I wait a few seconds or later the fob open unlocks the door. The driver door locks/unlocks as should when car moves. Because of the alarm sounding I replaced the driver DCM. This didn't seem to change anything.
Thinking the pass door could be the reason for the clicking followed by alarm problem I put the removed DCM (thinking it was good to start with) into the pass side. That got BOTH doors to lock on moving and voila, both sides seemed to work correctly. I then drove the car to a store down the street, came back and the locks no longer lock with the fob (alarm sets, tho) and using the key locks/unlocks the driver door but not the pass door.
I guess the pass DCM made the driver DCM unlearn its job). Being totally confused I now just lock the pass door from the inside then use the key to lock the driver side. Fob only works the alarming.
I am thinking the parts are all good but I need to get the dealer to reprogram the DCMs ,or just use the key.