XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 engine oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 2005 engine oil cooler

Not finding that for which I search! OK, the oil cooler on my 05 is seeping oil. I note that there are about 6 or 7 rows, that the mounting tabs are on the top, adjacent to the inlet / outlet connections, and that the tear-drop shaped bosses that mate with the oil pipes are angled, such that the attachment bolt is skewed toward the radiator. I have not found an image anywhere on the web of this exact configuration; either the tear-drops have their small ends pointing at each other, or the mounting tabs are on the bottom, rather than the top. The suggested p/n is C2N2908-0 (cannot discover if there is significance to the -0 bit) but, for each supplier contacted, this results in the correct skewed bosses but with mounting tabs on the bottom. It might be possible to remount from the bottom by inverting the mounting bushes, but it doesn't look like the metal pipes are flexible enough to allow much misalignment.
There are coolers such as MJF7440AA that are said to fit, but with lugs on the bottom. Certain R-type coolers have tabs top and bottom, but also sometimes have inward facing tear drop bosses.
Please, can anyone throw some light on any of this?

Old 12-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts

About 3 months ago I split mine open on a curb, left a lot of oil on a Tim Hortons Parking lot. It wasn't cheap and I had the shipping to Canada. Your description sounds just like mine for the 2004 XK8. I also ended up replacing the pressure side oil line because it was what was doing the seeping on mine, not the cooler. I ordered mine from SNG Barratt.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:24 PM

Can you confirm the p/n, Daro31?

Old 12-12-2016, 12:52 PM

When I get home from work, I will check the invoice and get the P/N and I can send you a picture of the one I took out.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Default Oil Cooler for 2004 XK8

This is a picture of the Invoice with Part number

Hopefully this shows the orientartion of the connectors you are looking for

The following users liked this post:
Atlastajag1 (12-23-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 03:39 PM

I added a piece of 1/2 aluminum corner to the front bottom edge, hopefully if I ever get to close to a curb again it will forgive me a bit.

The following users liked this post:
Atlastajag1 (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 12:46 PM

Daro31, that was VERY helpful indeed: That looks exactly (less some of the collision damage) like mine! I think that the C2N9580 number that all Jag dealers and suppliers keep coming up with are wrong, notwithstanding the VIN number on my car, and that the MJF7440AA is correct for 2004 and at least some of 2005. The instramounts are no doubt identical. Fellowship on the Forums, just in time for Christmas. Magnificent, and thanks again!

Old 12-23-2016, 09:43 AM
Default Cooler p/n puzzle

After a few weeks of web searches and emails, another puzzle has appeared. First, Daro's photo of his '04 cooler IS in fact the 6 row type used in my 2005, namely p/n MJF7440AA. There is a label on top of my cooler but it is illegible, but everything tallies beween Daro's posting and my car.
The mystery of how both this cooler and the mating pipework came to be on a 2005, which uses - so searches invariably say for 2005 model year VIN ... 41765 - is type C2N2908, which has "in-line' pipe mounting bosses (plinths), 9 rows, and top mounting tabs, will probably remain a mystery.
Trying to locate an array of vendors here and in the UK, so as to get the lowest price (given that one can pay as much as $400 or as little as $200 for the same p/n, has proven difficult.
When one Googles or Google-Images the MJF p/n one can easily locate vendors with coolers having the required skewed mounting 'bosses' (plinths) but ... not so fast! Count the rows: there are only 4 or 5 air slots, not 6 as on mine. Oh, and look: the mounting tabs are at the bottom. Useless on my car because the pipework and the mounting fittings are only an inch apart vertically, and the welded fixtures are set up for top mount. I would have to make extension brackets that bolted to the bottom tabs and brought the 'instrumount' platform up by about 2 inches. Some offerings have tabs top and bottom, which is sensible enough, but not one of these has 6 slots.
So far, 10 out of 12 sites offering the identical MJF p/n are selling a cooler that either will not fit, or that does not have 6 rows, or both. Because Jag and Jag dealers / direct sellers insist on using the generic parts-book sketches (which show nothing but an amorphous detail-less cooler with vestigial low mounting tabs for all XK8s) the drawings cannot serve as a confirmation that ordering the p/n will result in receiving the correct part. Ditto with vendors that use the same photo for all manner of p/ns. Conclusion: It's risky to order without seeing an actual photograph of the item from several angles, taken by the vendor.