XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 XKR brake options?

Old 06-11-2009, 02:02 PM
VX1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 XKR brake options?

Some may consider it blasphemous to even ask, but has anyone ever changed out their Brembo brakes, or at least tried different pads?

I was told that all the rotors have to be changed when changing the pads. The dealer wants $2500.00. The parts alone will be $1500+, if I do it myself.

The price isn’t so much the problem, as is the black brake dust. Go to the store and back, and the wheels look like they haven’t been washed in ages. Go on a long trip on the highway, and the wheels look like they’ve never been cleaned.

These brakes may be the shizit and perfect for the track, but I don’t take my XKR to the track. Hell, with traffic cameras everywhere in this fascist police state we’re moving into, it’s hard to break a sweat in the XKR anymore. I hate to spend so much on brakes, only to have the same dust problem.

EDIT: I did search and found all kinds of brake pad options (including low dust) that fit right into the Brembo caliper:

http://www.speedycarparts.com/catalo...238+11921+9183

How much BS was it that the rotors always had to be changed? (and has anyone tried these aftermarket pads?)

Old 06-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

EBC Red Stuff's. The best pads you can buy and barely any dust. You can also get away with resurfacing the rotors once or twice. That's what I do with mine, just check the thickness to make sure its within tolerance and not too badly warped.. Eric

Old 06-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

In my experience, the Akebono's Euro ceramics produce even less than the EBC Reds, I had the EBC first, then replaced w/ the Akebonos after 1 week of the reds. Huge difference.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:30 PM
VX1

That's great news; thanks for the information guys.

I'm not able to find the Akebono's for the front wheels (Brembo 'R' performance), so I might just pull the trigger on the EBCs. I'm going to get some new Yokohama rubber and 20" OEM wheels at the same time.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Veteran member

I found this site that says it is used on the 05 XKR, you could email akebono, they're really good at communications.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:36 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VX1
. I'm going to get some new Yokohama rubber and 20" OEM wheels at the same time.
I have a set of Yoko's on my "Plastic" car and they really stick!

Old 06-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The best brake pads are ones that are compression molded regardless of pad material with regards to consistency and quality. The only pads for street use that I know of using this construction method is Performance Friction.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Really like the Hawk Ceramics (am on my 3rd set now), are low dust and have a good grip, comparable to stock Brembos, but then without the dust. Had the Red stuff before, and these I can't recommend at all as they only start biting when very warm.

The following 2 users liked this post by avos:
Arland Green (05-29-2014), mcbeefsteak (11-02-2011)
Old 06-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Andre, how's your transmission holding up in the XKR?? I'm on my second one in the STR so I was wondering what an extra 50+hp does to it?

Old 06-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Hi, I have the Mercedes 5 speed unit, which is a pretty strong one, at least from the 2000 up model year. The 4.2 StypeR is using the 6HP26 from ZF, which should be able to deal with some extra torque (box is rated to max sustained 442 lbf/ft), as is the torque that is most damaging to the box not top end HP. What was the cause with your 1st box to fail?

Old 06-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know exactly.. The fluid was completely burnt when they pulled it out and it was shifting like a th400 for the last week (throwing you forward into the dash every time it shifted). The only explanation I could get from the techs is that I have a heavy right foot. I actually had to have a Lamborghini service center install the transmission due to exclusions in my aftermarket warranty, but they did a great job.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:25 PM
VX1

The EBC Reds are going in the trash. Despite changing out the rotors and trying about every brake-quiet product in existence, they emit an earpercing chalkboard screech at every stop. If that wasn't bad enough, I wouldn't have thought a set of pads could possibly beat the OEMs in the dusting category, but they do, by far. Their claim of 50% less dust than OEM is a big crock. I'm going to try the Hawk HPS next; seems to rate even higher than the ceramics. I would try Akebono, but just can't find a reliable source that sells the fronts.

Last edited by VX1; 12-30-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:44 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

hmmm, I dont know why ya'll have a problem with EBC reds. I not only run on my cars, but have run many different pads on all kinds of Jags.
1 I hate Aakebono's brake performance sucks
2 Stock OEM pads are great, but
3 EBC reds beat them in braking distance, and less dust
4 Hawks are moderate
I have never had problem with brake noise, but when I was married and my wife drove the Jaguar and her Bmw, she made the brakes squeel all the time...So brake like a man, not a girl. Dont glaze the pads and rotors with light brake application, 1/2 mile before a stop light. Im not saying drive like youre on the track, brake when you brake. That and you if you applied brake lube to the slides, pins and pad backs you should never have pad noise.
I have 4 turns and 3 stop signs out of the subdivision to warm the pads and they flat beat all others Ive used. No fade, and consistent strong brake performance. I would rather stop a couple feet short of someones back bumper any day. You can always spray your wheels with a product to repel brake dust. On the rotors, I nor does Jaguar recommend turning. I put a new set on the old(true non warped) rotors and bed them in for proper brake in. Most people ruin pads with improper breakin. Replace rotors generally with 2nd set of pads, most of the time at that point, theyre at or below min. thickness recommendation. And Vx1 mail me your reds, Ill take em and pay for shipping if youre really gonna throw them away

Old 12-31-2009, 10:41 AM
VX1

"Brake like a man, not a girl"

That advice is right about the same caliber I got from the local Jaguar dealership. They said all non-Jaguar pads squeal, and even Jaguar [Brembo] pads squeal after 50% wear. Not making this stuff up. I once took my VehiCross to an Isuzu dealership for a noise that later turned out to be a loose O2 sensor. The dealership's solution was to "turn up the stereo".

Old 12-31-2009, 11:44 AM

fine, I am relating what I KNOW FROM EXPERIANCE, if you think I give the same ole dealership reterick youre solely mistaken. I would tell you this same thing if you where a family member or friend, and have to be alittle more sugar coated if a customer. How do you explain that the same cars with the same brakes driven by a husband and wife exhibit brake squeel and no brake squeel? Same car, same pads, but different drivers and differant brake application/pedal pressue etc...
1 time I went to a Doctor who said I didnt have cancer, then to another that found out I did. I guess that meens all Doctors are idiots and cant diagnose or know what theyre theyre talking about.
I can take a customers car that squeels every time they brake, go deglaze the pads, and the squeel is gone. Then only to return because they still brake the way theyve always braked. The definition of insanity is what "doing the same thing, and expecting differant results" Maybe you didnt "bed in" the pads properly and therefore get poor performance from them. I dont know, but I come here to give informative info without BS, I dont represent a dealership or reterick, but my own knowledge, experiance, and personal observations over decades of being a tech and road, dragracer/builder..............

Old 12-31-2009, 12:20 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Thank You Bill! I value you comments and your input. The way I see it this forum is to help and advise. Comments in poor taste should be kept to yourself or put in a PM. Do not ask the question if you do not want to hear the answer.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:51 PM

sorry Gus I just guess I live up to my screen name
I dont have to be "dealership PC" here and can be truthfully direct

Old 12-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Bill, not a problem!

Old 12-31-2009, 01:41 PM
Veteran member

Lots of different opinions on these EBCs, I have a front & rear set brutal you're welcome to. PM me your address, and i'll mail it to you.

I've also got a set of Akebono EURO 592 ceramics that were totally wrong for my car, still unopened. I have no idea what car it is supposed to go on, I think an 03 XJR, dunno.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:18 PM
VX1

deleted

Last edited by H20boy; 12-31-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: moderated

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 XKR brake options?