Sponsored by:

2nd tensioner project

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 AM
jjf
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2nd tensioner project

(1998 XK8 convertible)

After owning this car for 6 weeks and reading alot of these posts, it was time to find out which tensioners I have. Last night I removed the valve covers and found the original tensioners. Hard to tell, but looks like a small crack on the bottom of one.

Have a couple questions I hope someone can help me with:

1. I've noticed a couple different part numbers for the tensioners on this forum (ie-C2A1511 and 2W9Z6K254BA). Not sure if I have know the part number or just tell them year and make of car. Also, can someone suggest the best place to purchase these tesioners and gaskets (or do I just go to Ford dealer?).

2. I had trouble getting the wire connectors off the coil packs and I broke clips on two connectors (damn). Are these connectors replaceable without replaceing the whole cable?

3. Is there some special 'sealant' that I should use on the valve cover gasket in the 2 spots where the front cover joint is?

4. I noticed that the primary chain had some slack between the sprockets on the lower side... is this normal?

Thanks for any help and any other tips before I tackle this repair...

JJ

Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by jjf
(1998 XK8 convertible)

After owning this car for 6 weeks and reading alot of these posts, it was time to find out which tensioners I have. Last night I removed the valve covers and found the original tensioners. Hard to tell, but looks like a small crack on the bottom of one.

Have a couple questions I hope someone can help me with:

1. I've noticed a couple different part numbers for the tensioners on this forum (ie-C2A1511 and 2W9Z6K254BA). Not sure if I have know the part number or just tell them year and make of car. Also, can someone suggest the best place to purchase these tesioners and gaskets (or do I just go to Ford dealer?).

2. I had trouble getting the wire connectors off the coil packs and I broke clips on two connectors (damn). Are these connectors replaceable without replaceing the whole cable?

3. Is there some special 'sealant' that I should use on the valve cover gasket in the 2 spots where the front cover joint is?

4. I noticed that the primary chain had some slack between the sprockets on the lower side... is this normal?

Thanks for any help and any other tips before I tackle this repair...

JJ

1.The C2A1511 and C2A1512 are the Jaguar part numbers - the 2W9Z6K254BA is, I believe, a Ford part number - the Ford and Jaguar tensioners are interchangeable apparently.Make sure you get the new bolts as well,JFB10607E (4 required). Christophers Foreign Car Parts on ebay seems to have reasonable prices. I think I sent you a pm with the gasket details.
2.From what I've read on this forum any of the plastic connectors on the harness are only available as part of the complete engine harness - I'll be interested if anyone has managed to source these elsewhere (since my VVT connectors are shot :0( )
3, I used a dab of high temp.RTV sealant on the joint.
4. Don't know on that one - but someone else on this forum will

Old 05-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

jjf,
I used Ford parts also. 2W9Z6K254BA and 2W9Z6K254CA. Bolts W500304S300.
I also suffered broken connector locks and put a dab of high temp RTV on the joints after sliding them back together. So far no problem.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:24 PM
jjf
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default thanx

I may try the RTV or a zip tie...