XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 S-Type Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default 67 S-Type Update

Progressing on the 67. Suspension all off and apart. New suspension/steering parts in hand..about $1250 worth. Engine bay stripped; except for engine, to be rust-proofed and painted this week. Wiring needs some work; mostly under-hood but checkout the wiring in the dash!! Also showing the "Bad" ... rust; but body patch panels are available. One step at a time...this is a major restoration but it will be done in stages...mechanical/electrical, then engine overhaul if needed, then body work and then paint. The interior is nice, already redone. Typical of most half-assed restorations---cover the rusted panels with lots of body filler, make it look okay then worry about what else when it breaks. Checkout fiberglass fender repairs in picture #4--both fenders like this (patch panels available luckily). Normally I completely strip/disassemble a car rendering it undriveable for a few years. This is not a "historically significant" example, so i'll keep it together as I fix it up. Hope this won't dampen any interest out there but; I have to admit and tell you the lady didn't want to sell it..so I'm getting paid to fix it...shucks; really I would never buy a car this ruff underneath. So I get to play with it, enjoy it a bit and get paid to do so, without investing my money (gonna cost a bunch when it's all done)..win-win.

Moderators..some have expressed an interest in this car so I hope you can leave this thread here.

Attached Thumbnails 67 S-Type Update-dsc00538.jpg   67 S-Type Update-dsc00539.jpg   67 S-Type Update-dsc00540.jpg   67 S-Type Update-dsc00541.jpg   67 S-Type Update-dsc00543.jpg  

67 S-Type Update-dsc00545.jpg   67 S-Type Update-dsc00555.jpg   67 S-Type Update-dsc00544.jpg   67 S-Type Update-dsc00556.jpg   67 S-Type Update-dsc00553.jpg  

67 S-Type Update-dsc00455.jpg  

Last edited by Fla Steve; 03-22-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

That's a colossal project that I would not dare . Once it's finished you can't evaluate how valuable car it will be

Old 03-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice! Wimbledon White

Old 03-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

This one is similar compared to my 62 MK2 I have 2 cars, to build one perfect body, with wire wheeled 5 speed, 3.8L out of them. Rust looks very similar to mine, before entire car got sandblasted and placed on rolling stand. Good luck with your project, glad you are earning and not spending on this one.

Attached Thumbnails 67 S-Type Update-jg02.jpg   67 S-Type Update-weld92.jpg   67 S-Type Update-img_0062.jpg   67 S-Type Update-img_0374.jpg  
Old 03-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

I see in your 4th pic you cut off the sill/rocker panels. The one i'm fixing needs it too. I don't think the floors are so bad I'll have to replace them...but when I pressure washed the inner fenders it got wet inside. So I know the firewall is rotted by the door jam area behind the inner fenders. Guess you have to remove them to get access to the bulkhead by the door jams. I want to get it running, driving for her first. Then when she wants a new paint job I'll tackle the body rot. I have a 63 Vette to finish first. I have to admit I'm having fun with this...it's so different from all the American muscle I've restored. Thanks for your pictures. Id' enjoy any you care to send me. My email is "ssmoleroff@aol.com.

I am starting to want one of my own (I prefer the S-Type for the IRS, and MKIIs seem to command more money) but preferably a much nicer bodied one. If you know of any affordable ones I'd like to hear about them.

Last edited by Fla Steve; 03-24-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Steve, your project got me interested in finding a similar car to work on. They aren't very common. But then a few days ago someone posted an ad for a '66 MKII on the local craigslist! It looked pretty decent in the pics on Craigslist, but then when I asked him to email me more pictures, the ugly truth was revealed. All 4 doors were just full of Bondo which had then cracked and been repainted, apparently without even repairing the bad bondo job. The doors alone were so bad it looked like all four would at least need to be re-skinned, if not replaced outright. If the doors were that bad, there's no telling what the frame looked like. I can work on engines and electrics, but I'm not a metalworker. It's too bad, too. It was a 1966, which is the year I was born. It would be cool to own a car that was born the same year as me.

He was asking $9000 and not a penny less. Apparently he either sold it already, or he took down the ad. I just looked and it's not there anymore. I emailed him links to this thread and your first thread to show him what you purchased for a mere $2000. Your car looks like it's in much better shape than his was.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd be interested to know how your car got in that condition. Maybe a flood?

Old 03-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
I see in your 4th pic you cut off the sill/rocker panels. The one i'm fixing needs it too. I don't think the floors are so bad I'll have to replace them...but when I pressure washed the inner fenders it got wet inside. So I know the firewall is rotted by the door jam area behind the inner fenders. Guess you have to remove them to get access to the bulkhead by the door jams. I want to get it running, driving for her first. Then when she wants a new paint job I'll tackle the body rot. I have a 63 Vette to finish first. I have to admit I'm having fun with this...it's so different from all the American muscle I've restored. Thanks for your pictures. Id' enjoy any you care to send me. My email is "ssmoleroff@aol.com.

I am starting to want one of my own (I prefer the S-Type for the IRS, and MKIIs seem to command more money) but preferably a much nicer bodied one. If you know of any affordable ones I'd like to hear about them.
I sent you some pictures to your e-mail.
Thanks
mike