XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ac blows cold, sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 09:24 AM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Ac blows cold, sometimes

Anyone have the steps to getting the ac to blow ice cold again? I sort of need it in this 100° weather. It works and all, doesn't whine or leak.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Likely needs a recharge, some say don't do it but mine would blow cold at sped but get warm in town, I used a quick charge can from an auto parts store over a year ago and it works perfect now.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

The recharge low pressure port is on the upper rear left firewall area. Look behind the air intake hose.

Question about this while we are on the topic: I used a autoparts recharge, I am suspicious of the guage's accuracy. If one charges enough to get ice air, but technically not as much as you would put in for 100% charge - does this stress the system?

Thanks,

John

Old 07-15-2017, 10:14 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

It's taking a chance when you charge any system without emptying completely and re-filling by weight. Every system is designed to work optimally within some fairly tight margins and you can't KNOW what's in there without emptying it first.

That said, I have a set of inexpensive gauges I use all the time and will watch the high side pressure as I add a little refrigerant at a time to an undercharged system if I don't think it has a significant leak. You need to know the limits of the system and be aware of the effects of ambient temperature on those readings.

Overcharging gets you not only warm interior air, but can also burst a hose or stress the compressor. That's why I say to be cautious if you don't at least have a set of gauges. As soon as it starts to blow cold.......STOP.

Unfortunately, if you are losing refrigerant you need to fix it, and I would never add stop leak to any of my systems. It can gum up the expansion valve or orifice and cause a blockage.

If it's leaking out more than a few ounces a year......fixing the source of the problem would be advised before bigger problems are created.

Hope this helps.

Jim

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (07-16-2017)