Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air intake silencer tubes

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 06:23 PM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Air intake silencer tubes

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if a 2003 XKR air intake pipe/snorkel is supposed to have the silencer tubes coming out of it? I have searched and cannot find a definitive answer. I see that an XK8 does not have the silencer tubes but that XKRs do but it seems like it might only be with the 4.0 engines. The reason I ask, I just threw P0171 and P0174. I read that many in the forum have had problems with chips and leaks in the snorkel so I went to inspect mine. I do have a very small area that would leak in the accordion section that is about the width of a dime and a few millimeters long. This is likely not the cause but I noticed that I do not have silencer tubes on mine. My indy mechanic replaced it a couple of years ago and I am thinking they may have used the wrong snorkel, perhaps one for an XK8.

If this is the case, then I definitely would like to fit a proper snorkel which will also fix a very small air leak. As for my codes, I am going to learn how to do a smoke test and use my OBDII to read the fuel trims and try to work through it. Also, I cleaned the MAF sensor a few months ago while working on something else. I might try and replace it with a new Denso unit if the codes persist after sourcing and fixing all air leaks.

Thanks for any input.

Corey

Old 01-13-2021, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,355 Likes on 729 Posts

I think the 03' XKR does have them, but that doesn't mean you must keep them. I replaced my entire intake pipe with an aluminum version from Mina, which doesn't have the silencers. Never again will I have an air leak due to the brittle plastic of the intake.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:22 AM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by cs81srq
I read that many in the forum have had problems with chips and leaks in the snorkel so I went to inspect mine. I do have a very small area that would leak in the accordion section that is about the width of a dime and a few millimeters long. This is likely not the cause but I noticed that I do not have silencer tubes on mine.

Thanks for any input.

Corey
Hello Corey:
My experience has been that a leak less than that size in my part load breather circuit would in time (depending on driving conditions) throw P0171/ P0174 codes. Since the accordian section and the part load breather circuit are both behind the MAF, I would suggest closing that leak first.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. D:
cs81srq (01-14-2021), michaelh (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 12:24 PM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Just an update on my research. The 03 XKR does in fact have the silencers on them. They are a different configuration than the 4.0 supercharged. Really hard to find online but I did find one from UK parts dealer that was used and looked in good shape. Part price was pretty reasonable but shipping was more than the part!

On a side note, I brought this up with the mechanic and mentioned that he installed the wrong air intake pipe/duct/snorkel on my car. I asked if he had the right one lying around and asked if he could switch out. Needless to say, he was not happy with that suggestion. Unreal, it was a while back but they seriously sold me and installed the wrong part! He even tried to say that he mentioned it was the XK8 part but my texts do not confirm that at all. Crazy.

Thank you for the suggestions on where to start. I am going to start with the new snorkel and closely examine the breather hoses.