Airbag Flash Code 51

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 05:19 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Airbag Flash Code 51

All,

I just had my seats recovered and the installer noted that the Airbag light started flashing.

I now have the car back and Flash Code 51 appears to be displaying. Not Codes I could read from an OBD2 port. I'm pretty sure its a connection between the seat and the harness or seatbelt and harness. The installer noted that the airbag wire was never connected on either side (red wire dangling).

Do I need to pull the seats and see the connections? Does anyone have pics on how the seatbelt and seat connect in.

Thanks!
dsd

Old 06-29-2017, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Flash code 51 indicates "drivers seat belt buckle switch" "open Circuit"

It sounds like when they removed the seat belt buckle (which is bolted to the seat) to replace the seat covers they have either unplugged or damaged the wire to the switch.
You can unbolt the seat from the rails, unplug the wiring harness, lay it on it's side and check for damaged or disconnected leads from the buckle assembly.

The following 2 users liked this post by avern1:
dsd (06-29-2017), Orthodixie (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 08:50 PM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I've just been working on this. Make sure you follow JTIS instructions for access to the seat mounting bolts. Probably not desirable to trigger the airbag. After removing the mounting bolts I found that I could tilt the seat up far enough and prop it to access the connectors under the seat. In my case a clean with electronic cleaning solvent seems to have solved the problem (for the moment anyway).

The following 2 users liked this post by bazjag:
dsd (06-29-2017), Orthodixie (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 09:32 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bazjag
I've just been working on this. Make sure you follow JTIS instructions for access to the seat mounting bolts. Probably not desirable to trigger the airbag. After removing the mounting bolts I found that I could tilt the seat up far enough and prop it to access the connectors under the seat. In my case a clean with electronic cleaning solvent seems to have solved the problem (for the moment anyway).
Do you know which connector it is? I have thevwiring diagram but still not 100% which connector it is.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:11 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Once you can see under the seat it's fairly obvious. There is a wire from the base of the seat belt buckle. Just follow that to the connector. From memory it's a smaller connector located towards the rear of the seat and adjacent to the seat belt buckle. The connector is secured to the seat frame by a plastic plug (part of the connector). I didn't have to remove it as I was able to separate the connector in situ. If your connector is damaged then you will have a bit more to do. The attached pdf might assist.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
X100 Seat Removal.pdf (102.9 KB, 101 views)
The following users liked this post:
dsd (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 10:55 AM
dsd
Veteran Member

Thank you all for the assistance. The problem is resolved. There was a connector that had come loose. I was able to see it once I undid the bolts and tipped the seat.