XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Squeak / Chirp Question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Another Squeak / Chirp Question!

Looks like this is a popular topic today for the 1998s. Hey I wanted to please run this by you.

Ever since I replaced my front wheel bearings, I get a very short chirp like squeak from the left front wheel area at times when making a right turn from a stop. This doesn't happen always and is more likely to happen when it is a hard turn (IOW, wheel turned further than normal). It is a very brief noise, but loud enough a passenger can hear it.

Now the truth is that the day I was reassembling the right front wheel, I was under pressure to help someone out and realized that I forgot to reinsert one of the thick spacer washers upper mount, forward side for this wheel. This couldn't throw the alignment off enough that the tire is squeaking from being dragged in the wrong direction at these low speeds right?

Upper shock mounts are less than 6 months old (Welsh Poly). Car drives great. If there was a defect in the new bearing, it would make noise much more often, right? Any ideas?

This isn't urgent, just bugging me a bit so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks,

John

Old 09-28-2017, 07:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

258 Views and 0 Replies as i write this! Let's see if we can prompt some debate and suggestions.

A squeaking wheel bearing usually shows some excess play or stiffness when checked in the normal way.

With the steering on full lock, have you tried jacking the LH under the lower wishbone to load the suspension and rotating the wheel? If something is catching you may be able to detect the source.

One spacer missing may result in premature tyre wear but I can't see it being sufficient to drag as you describe.

Graham

Old 09-28-2017, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Thanks Graham, that's what I thought. I heard the noise yesterday, then pulled I to a large empty parking lot. Couldnt force the noise with any turns or anything! Its curious.

John