Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Sensors

Hello Everyone,

On my 2002 XKR Convertible, everytime I put the car in reverse I get an audible sound that lasts for probably 2 or 3 seconds that I am assuming is for the backup sensors. But once the sound stops I have tried walking behind the car while my wife keeps the car in reverse and the car doesn't make any other sounds so I am assuming the sensors are not working, is there any way to test these or does anyone know what that initial sound is when I shift into reverse?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I does sound like your backup sensors are not functioning. There should be no sound from them when you put the car in reverse unless an object is within a few feet.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

put the car in reverse with the key on engine off. put your ear next to each sensor and you should hear them clicking. If one isnt then you need to replace it. The long tone does signal a system fault

Old 10-26-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
put the car in reverse with the key on engine off. put your ear next to each sensor and you should hear them clicking. If one isnt then you need to replace it. The long tone does signal a system fault

Ok so I did this and both corners are clicking but the center two are not, so I assume that this is the reason I am getting the audible noise when I put the car in reverse? How difficult is it to replace them, should I have the dealer do that or is that something I should be able to do fairly easy?

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Two out at once...thats odd. Check the sensor connections first, perhaps loose from previous body work? Just guessing.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Not too difficult to change if you have to. No need to remove the bumper just need small hands

From behind the bumper push the sensor towards the bumper and turn as they are held in by a bayonet type fitting with a spring, be careful as the tabs break very easy.

I have seen broken tabs many times and people then remove the springs and glue them in

Old 10-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm 6' 4" and my hands are like Mitts but I can get in the right position and install the sensors but it is a bitch, and a couple of scrapes fingers and knuckles. I did have a broken tab and was able to actually grind it a little deeper to make it work.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 10-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Sensors - Add'l comments

With ignition on and reverse selected, you should hear a continuous audible sound for 6-8 seconds - signals being sent to control module; however, should you go to neutral or drive, then back to reverse, the continuous audible sound will not reactivate. Beeps will be heard approaching an object and will be continuous for 3 seconds when within 8 inches of that object, then cancel itself. (Probably already hit something). A system fault is detected when going in reverse and no beeps are heard. You can isolate each sensor with a known object; however, one sensor may pick up what another should pick up. I like the clicking noise suggestion but have never heard of or tried it. Before removing sensors, check connection to each sensor and be sure wires going into holes through bumper bracket are not chafed. Sensors can be accessed by reaching into the holes through the bumper bracket, pushed towards the outer bumper, against spring tension and turned approx. 10-15 degrees to be released from the sleeve notch that is holding the sensor. Should you break the tip of the sleeve the sensor fits in, a larger notch may be cut to secure the sensor. I just went through a situation with my sensors whereas they would not stop beeping. One of my sensors had become recessed into the bumper and was reading the bumper itself as an object. Anyway, I think so, and my sensors are now fine. Those sensors are difficult to remove and install - PATIENCE!

Old 10-27-2010, 05:12 PM

Ok I will get under there within the next day or so, I will report back what I find. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:35 PM

Well it looks like both sensors are in bad shape. The wires connecting the sensor to the plug portion are broke or cut so the whole assembly was not connected to the bumper very securely. So I guess I am replacing them, anybody know the cost of those? Once again thanks for the help!!

Old 10-28-2010, 12:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Can't help you on price, but if you can't fix them by a little wire soldering to repair first, call Nalley Jaguar in Atlanta, or JPAM, a jag dealer in Las Vegas, both are forum sponsors and both have some of the best internet pricing around. You can find their contact info in the Vendor For-Sale / Classifieds area of the forum. Nalley keeps lots of odd parts in service, only once have they had to ship something to me from across the country. Support the sponsors if you have to buy OEM parts.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

In actuality, when selecting reverse, the parking alarm should NOT beep, if it does, there is a glitch as Brutal mentioned. It should only beep when close to an object.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Copesetic
Well it looks like both sensors are in bad shape. The wires connecting the sensor to the plug portion are broke or cut so the whole assembly was not connected to the bumper very securely. So I guess I am replacing them, anybody know the cost of those? Once again thanks for the help!!
Cost new is about $100 each. It would be about half that used from Coventry West or similar and you may be able to fix yours if it's just damaged wiring.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Just so i get this correctly. To remove the sensor. From underneath the car locate the suspect sensor inside the bumper. Grab the sensor and push on it towards the rear of the car and twist 10-15 degrees. Then the sensor should be free of the circular housing and remove it from inside the bumper?

Old 10-28-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by oldmots
Cost new is about $100 each. It would be about half that used from Coventry West or similar and you may be able to fix yours if it's just damaged wiring.
it looks like there are two wires connecting the sensor to the base, but on one of the sensors I am only seeing one wire and on the second one I don't think there is enough wire left to solder it.