XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery not charging light on

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default battery not charging light on

i got a 2002 jaguar xkr... i just change the alternator on it.. because the battery not charging light was on...i took the old alternator to get it tested and it tested good..the mechanic said if that not the problem.. check for a fusable link on it... the link good b stopping the alternator from charging the battery... have anyone had this problem.. if so help me come up with the solution.. n the location of this fusable link

Old 07-17-2009, 05:55 AM
Fjk
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Alternator output is fed to the battery through a fuse (500A) in the "high power protection module" located in the trunk adjacent to the battery. Check Alt. output at this point.

The charging indicator is driven by a separate line from the alternator to the major instrument pack, so this is a possibility.
ie: false indication

If you want a wiring diag. for your car, send me a PM with your Email Address. I will send you one. It is a PDF

Old 07-17-2009, 06:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Icyoung, open up the hood and trunk of your car. Connect a multimeter across the battery posts (engine turned off). Are you getting 12.6 VDC? If no, place the battery on a charger and get it up to 12.6 VDC. If yes, leaving the multimeter connected, start the car. Does the multimeter jump up to a voltage above 13.0 VDC? If yes, then it appears your problem is with your "battery" light on the dash, write me and I will give you some more checks to do. If no, move around to under the hood of your car and locate the alternator. Coming out of the alternator will be a small wire that is a white wire with a purple stripe on it. Place the red lead from the multimeter on this wire and the black multimeter lead to chassis ground. Are you getting above 12.0 VDC on this wire? If no, then check fuse #15 in the passenger side fuse box. If this fuse is good, then you have a wiring problem between the fuse box and the alternator. If you are getting 12 VDC on the white/purple wire, then verify that you are getting great than 13.0 VDC on the main terminal leaving the alternator. If you are getting more than 13.0 VDC on the main terminal, then you have a bad wire between the alternator and the starter. If you are not getting more than 13.0 VDC, you have a bad alternator.

It is possible that the wiring at the plug for the alternator is bad and can be giving you grief. So, before you replace the alternator, make sure to inspect the plug and verify no corrosion.

The following 3 users liked this post by Thermo:
1951sms (04-11-2021), Johnken (05-26-2016), MikeTracey (04-26-2022)
Old 08-18-2009, 04:14 PM

after going thru 4 alternators from o'reillys auto parts.. i finally went to the dealer and purchased they alternator and now my car work perfectly.. i take it that the xkr cant use aftermarket alternators

Old 08-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

That stinks, sorry for your luck. There's nothing wrng with installing a rebuilt alternator, so long as it is a quality job.

I had an XJ8 with a battery warning light and "low voltage " message, it was a faulty instrument pack as FJK intimated.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:30 PM

na there is nothing wrong with themm... just dont buy them from o'reillys

Old 08-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

I'll tack this bit on for future reference to anyone tuning in:

PPR is a rebuilder who supplies quality rebuilt starters and alternators, and the distributor I buy from gives a lifetime warranty. I have not installed any rebuilts on a Jaguar model later than 1994: all the later original units are highly reliable, and I have been installing good used components as a result without concern or added expense.

Installing rebuilt starters and alternators for all 1994 and earlier models is not a rarety, and the PPR units have proven to be almost completely reliable...and replaced free on the rare occasions they were not. I presume that they cover later model Jaguar applications at this point, and that's the first source I'll check when the need arises.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (05-26-2016)
Old 08-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I too have used my local auto electric shop for repairs. But I had them to repair a starter, for 1999 XK8, cost was about $100.00 vs a new one from Jag with a very high price.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man did you ever figure out why the battery not charging light was on ,because im having the same problem..

Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

dying alternator If I understand the thread and the posts above

Old 11-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Default Battery not charging light on

I have had this message go on and I am not able to understand why.

After changing the battery and rebuilding the alternator the message does not disappear

can someone help?

Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

The alternator gets its ground from a ground strap at the passenger side front exhaust from the frame to front of transmission bellhousing , by the catalytic converter,

they get wet, flex and turn green.

Attached Thumbnails battery not charging light on-img_4542.jpg  
Old 11-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Once I had issues with the car not starting and having no power at all when hot, dead battery..... Long story short. After I described the instances and situations when the problem would occur, the senior tech at the dealer knew exactly what the problem was and traced it down to corrosion in the positive and negative battery wires.

Not saying this is your problem but new cables might be the cheapest thing to replace first.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:46 AM

Hi, I have this same problem where I have had a new alternator fitted but now have the red light on volt meter, and also the battery not charging message. However it is charging as measured by voltmeter, seems to be just the monitoring system at fault?

Regards,
Mick

Old 03-11-2014, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Harroche
I have had this message go on and I am not able to understand why.

After changing the battery and rebuilding the alternator the message does not disappear

can someone help?
Hi, did you get any help with this problem please, as I have the same problem?

Thanks,
Mick

Old 03-11-2014, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by kbrown68
Hey man did you ever figure out why the battery not charging light was on ,because im having the same problem..
Same here, did you get yours sorted?

Thanks,
Mick

Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 AM

No still same problem. if someone has an idea how to solve it , it would be helpfull

Old 03-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

Take it Jaguar, pay the hour diagnostic fee,they have special scanners that can pinpoint faults that we cannot with our eyes.Don't tell them what you have been doing and all that stuff, because that will confuse the technician and may cause him to start his diagnosis elsewhere, instead of from the beginning. Our years Jaguars have advanced charging systems that are controlled by modules that communicate from one to the other,compared to your average car.

I have seen this happen with bad seat heaters, the ground strap at the tranny being bad,the cables and fusible link in trunk being bad, (if your cable is hot -its shot and you need a new one),the gold nut in the driver side door area fuse box loosening itself up, and last but rare a failed connection due to corrosion or bad module.

Last edited by aode06; 03-19-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:29 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default o'reillys alternator NFG?

I got stranded on the weekend with a charging system failure in the MiddleOfNowhere, OH where nobody has ever seen a Jaguar. Given how I had to get home ASAP and there are no dealers in the area, I got an alternator from O'Reillys installed by the one and only shop in the area. Now the new alternator does charge the battery, but the Battery Light and the "Battery Not Charging" message are both ON.
Does anybody have any experience with O'Reilly's alternators? What are the chances of it not being compatible with Jaguar voltage sensing? Are they really as crap as lcyoung stated?

Thanks,

XKR 2002 Coupe

Old 05-25-2016, 02:16 AM

Can i have the wiring digram for XK8
My email Hairoman@izouco.com

Originally Posted by Fjk
Alternator output is fed to the battery through a fuse (500A) in the "high power protection module" located in the trunk adjacent to the battery. Check Alt. output at this point.

The charging indicator is driven by a separate line from the alternator to the major instrument pack, so this is a possibility.
ie: false indication

If you want a wiring diag. for your car, send me a PM with your Email Address. I will send you one. It is a PDF

Quick Reply: battery not charging light on