Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black suede detailed interior

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Black suede detailed interior

I'm thinking about having my front seats refurbished and had an idea to have black suede inserts to replace the centers. They would still have the stitching detail and I would also cover the padded door panels above the arm rest.
I'd have enough to also do the a pillars and small section above the window.

Would it be terrible to leave the back seats alone and the gray headliner as is? I'd change the headliner but I can't find one in black and the cost to custom make one is HUGE!!! When the top is down, you cant see the headliner, all you see is the window surround anyway.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Funny, I was thinking to do the same thing. Difference in my case is a cashmere interior, but I think a black insert in a tan seat could look good. Maybe it's time for some photoshop fun...

If your rear seats are all black, then it probably wouldn't be too noticeable.

The headliner would probably bother me and eventually I'd cave and re-do it. If you aren't doing the headliner I'd probably leave the a-pillars alone.

One other idea I had was to cover the dash top and door caps with a carbon fiber wrap. I had a good experience doing the coil covers and think it could be done fairly easily.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Funny, I was thinking to do the same thing. Difference in my case is a cashmere interior, but I think a black insert in a tan seat could look good. Maybe it's time for some photoshop fun...

If your rear seats are all black, then it probably wouldn't be too noticeable.

The headliner would probably bother me and eventually I'd cave and re-do it. If you aren't doing the headliner I'd probably leave the a-pillars alone.

One other idea I had was to cover the dash top and door caps with a carbon fiber wrap. I had a good experience doing the coil covers and think it could be done fairly easily.
I've used carbon wrap on a couple cars but I'd rather have the real deal in my jaguar. I have a Prius for long business trips and did a lot of carbon wrap on it.
I was thinking about it in my XF as well and still may in that car since its a dove grey interior, but I'm afraid the faux wrap in an all black interior may look a little cheap. I found a new old stock complete carbon XK8 interior for 1200.00. I'm trying to talk him down to 800 then I may go for it.
I can wrap the suede on my door panels and pillars myself and the seats will only cost about 100.00.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,355 Likes on 729 Posts

I was thinking instead of suede, contrasting alcantara and contrasting stitching (white, red, tan or terra-cotta). That would look real nice with the black in the rest of the car.

CF dash, is, to me, less imperative. I've always been in jags with burl walnut wood... I'm biased.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

That was standard in the 2005 Carbon Fiber edition. Included seat inserts, door inserts, carbon fiber dash and aluminum accents. There is actually one on e-Bay now: - Rarissimo 2005 Jaguar XK8 Carbon Fibre Pack Alcantara GPS 1 200 Edition Speciale | eBay?

Last edited by MarcB; 08-08-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarcB
That was standard in the 2005 Carbon Fiber edition. Included seat inserts, door inserts, carbon fiber dash and aluminum accents. There is actually one on e-Bay now: - Rarissimo 2005 Jaguar XK8 Carbon Fibre Pack Alcantara GPS 1 200 Edition Speciale | eBay?
Love that edition. That's actually the dash set I'm hopefully buying. I found a still in its package set new old stock complete.
Only issue is steering wheel. It should be all leather.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,355 Likes on 729 Posts

That was an incredibly beautiful interior. I hope to be able to do something like that to mine. Except that, since mine is a black interior, I'd have to use contrasting alcantara. I'm thinking either the terra-cota/tan or the red. Which clashes least with the burl walnut veneer? I would go with white, were it not so easy to stain.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
That was an incredibly beautiful interior. I hope to be able to do something like that to mine. Except that, since mine is a black interior, I'd have to use contrasting alcantara. I'm thinking either the terra-cota/tan or the red. Which clashes least with the burl walnut veneer? I would go with white, were it not so easy to stain.
Charcoal would be nice also. But just the contrast in texture will pop as well!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

A little photoshop over morning coffee.

What I was thinking for my own car:
Black suede detailed interior-black_insert.jpg

giandanielxk8's idea sounded pretty good too:
Black suede detailed interior-terracotta_insert.jpg

Black suede detailed interior-tan_insert.jpg

Black suede detailed interior-red_insert.jpg

Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Pift.... Lord NO !

Old 08-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Velcro!

I've got it! Instead of using black suede, use black Velcro. Then, you can either wear a Velcro suit or have some stitched onto the back of your favorite driving shirt and jeans. Now, you're truly ready to take on the corners! =)

Old 08-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
I've got it! Instead of using black suede, use black Velcro. Then, you can either wear a Velcro suit or have some stitched onto the back of your favorite driving shirt and jeans. Now, you're truly ready to take on the corners! =)
Brilliant!

Old 08-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Received 679 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Headliner

I had my headliner done in black Alcantara suede.

I just ran into the garage and took a couple of shots of it.

Attached Thumbnails Black suede detailed interior-wp_20130809_13_13_19_pro.jpg   Black suede detailed interior-wp_20130809_13_13_28_pro.jpg   Black suede detailed interior-wp_20130809_13_12_50_pro.jpg  
Old 08-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle

Enderle,

Please tell us how you were able to get your visors recovered in your chosen fabric, and whether you're happy with the results...

Old 08-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enderle

That's exactly what I want. I think we've talked about it too, I just can't find anyone local that will make it for me.
Hell, I'd even take regular black headliner fabric! I just HATE the gray!! Wen the tops down, it kills me that everything on my car is black or wood then there's that damn crap gray pillar trim!

Old 08-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccfulton
A little photoshop over morning coffee.

What I was thinking for my own car:
Attachment 50454

giandanielxk8's idea sounded pretty good too:
Attachment 50455

Attachment 50457

Attachment 50456
I vote oyster.
And jazzcat, what's wrong with contrasting seats? They even came from the factory that way on several models.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Received 679 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Part of the deal

Originally Posted by The Coupe
Enderle,

Please tell us how you were able to get your visors recovered in your chosen fabric, and whether you're happy with the results...

Tony did it as part of the deal. All told about $1,500, with $500 for the Italian suede. Pricey stuff. He also painted the plastic which I'm going to have to touch up regularly, but the visors look great and he even fixed the mirrors in them when he did the work. If you have this done watch out for the wires in the headliner over the windshield, if they are shorted out you'll get stuck in park, your interior lights stop working along with your windshield wipers and your trunk won't open. It is a simple fix (correct the short and replace the fuse) but a pain in the *** to figure out. Other than that I love the result and had he known about the wires he wouldn't have shorted them). I'm having him redo my arm rest and cup holders will post when done.

Here is the outfit that did the work: Top Notch Upholstery - San Jose, CA

Old 08-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Can't talk you out of this one. My S8 has a full Alcantara interior. And it is... amazing.

Kinda German though. Jag is more 'Corinthian leather'.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe I'm spoiled but I have access to the finest leather and suede for the furniture industry!! I figure if it will hold up on a 20,000.00 versace sofa, it should work for my car. And if not, I'll just replace later!!
I just can't find a headliner fix!!!! HELP!!! I want black headliner!!!
I've actually got some yardage in Louis Vuitton fabric but I think that could be over the top!! Can you believe that the LV material isn't even leather!!! It's a vinyl!!!
And if any of you follow my threads, you KNOW I'd use the LV!! (If it was leather!)

Old 08-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Lol. you can't use use LV design in your car, unless you upgrade your wheels to 24". Otherwise it just won't look right
In all seriousness, if you'd like to see some interesting interior design design for cars, check out: Gallery | Vilner - Your Style Inside

Quick Reply: Black suede detailed interior