XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth For Audio Only XKR

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bluetooth For Audio Only XKR

I have a 2004 xkr and i would like to add Bluetooth for audio playback from my phone, i dont need to connect up the jaguar phone or use my mobile hands free for calls. Im hoping to find something at a budget price just for audio, is it easy to fit yourself or is it worth getting an installer to do it? I have searched for info but the stuff i find seems to cover hands free and using the phone etc.

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (05-27-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 07:35 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Bunch of different options and price points. All have been done by members and discussed in length. Search Bluetooth or stereo.

Cheapest: Audio Cassete to Bluetooth adapter:
Amazon Amazon

There are also, CD changer splices that add Bluetooth. Parrot MK kits to add more features. And of course, stereo replacement.

The following 2 users liked this post by dsd:
Orthodixie (05-27-2017), Rob L (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

I use the Ion cassette adapter in my '97 Jag & '04 Audi.

The following 2 users liked this post by MRomanik:
Orthodixie (05-27-2017), Rob L (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by MRomanik
I was just about to mention this--the best $20 I ever spent!

Doug

Rob L (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by dsd
Bunch of different options and price points. All have been done by members and discussed in length. Search Bluetooth or stereo.

Cheapest: Audio Cassete to Bluetooth adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I3...e+to+bluetooth

There are also, CD changer splices that add Bluetooth. Parrot MK kits to add more features. And of course, stereo replacement.
Thanks. Ill search again but i had not come across a set up that just used audio playback by bluetooth. I am at work now so i have time to do some research on my laptop.

The cassette is something to consider if it works well. Old tape heads can give off poor sound so i was unsure about going this route.

Originally Posted by MRomanik
I have seen the Ion adapter, does it have any drawbacks and how does the sound compare to cd?

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I was just about to mention this--the best $20 I ever spent!
Doug
I have seen the Ion adapter, does it have any drawbacks and how does the sound compare to cd?

Orthodixie (05-27-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 04:10 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

There are really 3 Bluetooth profiles of interest here:
Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
Hands Free Profile (HFP)

A2DP is just music streaming and maybe Next/Previous/Start/Stop

AVRCP is where you can browse your library and select tracks.

HFP is for phone.

Almost all cars solutions will have A2DP and HFP (like it or not). AVRCP requires a more upscale solution.

Orthodixie (05-27-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 04:14 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

I would look at the Parrot solutions if you don't want to replace stereo.

https://www.parrot.com

Orthodixie (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

[QUOTE=Rob L;1691937]Thanks. Ill search again but i had not come across a set up that just used audio playback by bluetooth. I am at work now so i have time to do some research on my laptop.

The cassette is something to consider if it works well. Old tape heads can give off poor sound so i was unsure about going this route.

It works well for me but I'm not an audiophile. It does have to be recharged after about 4-5 hours. I haven't tried to use it for phone calls though.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Nulaxy Bluetooth adapter

Any one tried this one? It plugs into the lighter or aux power port. Supposed to do everything but wash the car.
Saw it on Amazon.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:03 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

The Nulaxy device is an FM transmitter. It broadcast your music on an empty channel.

YMMV. In some places they work well, in others they are useless. The FM channels are very tight by me, so FM Xmitters never worked well for me. I'd go with a tape adapter over this.

Orthodixie (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rob L
Thanks. Ill search again but i had not come across a set up that just used audio playback by bluetooth. I am at work now so i have time to do some research on my laptop.

Again--keep in mind we are talking about 20 bucks here. The performance of this little device is absolutely astounding given that price. I stream Pandora at various times and you can also use it to talk on the cell phone. For me, the music quality is excellent--sounds like a CD in terms of quality as far as I can tell. But then again I am not an audiophile.

I investigated several times about doing a hard-wired upgrade using Parrot or something similar but we were now talking about $500+.

I went the $20 buck route and am smiling.

Doug

Orthodixie (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 10:49 PM

Guys many thanks for your helpful replies, after some consideration i have bought the bluetooth cassette adapter, there is one called DigitNow available in the uk, it may well be made by the same folk as Ion one, the Ion one is a lot more expensive.

DigitNow! Audio Bluetooth Cassette Adapter - Bluetooth audio streaming for casse | eBay

I got it for £20 off of Amazon, if i like it i will have saved a bundle, if i dont like it i can utilize it at my work in an old cassette player. I hope i like it. For the sake of £20 its worth a punt. I will report back my thoughts.

Orthodixie (05-28-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 01:31 PM

Hmm the good thing about Amazon, order on sunday for free delivery and it arrives on the bank holiday Monday afternoon. Good service.

The bluetooth cassette sounds ok however when i turn it up you can hear the mechanical turning noise of the cassette player motor coming through my speakers, it is not really acceptable, also when you push the tape about it with your finger it goes from dull to clear so your not always getting the best sound. I dont know if they will let me return it as i have obviously removed it from the packaging.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:18 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

Amazon should let you return-- especially if it was prime.

Tell us what your ideal solution is and we can point you in a better direction.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:27 AM
dsd
Veteran Member

Another member used this. No idea how well it works, but no reason to think it shouldn't.

AUX-JAG Auxiliary input for select Jaguar xJ and xK with CD Changer :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces

Old 05-31-2017, 02:37 AM
Received 267 Likes on 199 Posts

Slightly different solution, but I fitted a DAB receiver that runs through the exisiting head unit, and has an AUX in (wired rather than bluetooth). I have the aux-in emerging in the centre cubby box, and can plug any device in. The sound is excellent, plus I have DAB radio too. This is the device I used:
Kinetic digitizor DAB, DAB , DMB-A add-on car radio

Old 05-31-2017, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

If you just want bluetooth music, then a simple solution would be to buy a Bluetooth audio streamer and connect that to the audio L-R connections from the CD player in the boot. Something like this one:-

http://amzn.eu/7HPoEOZ

You would lose the ability to play CDs and instead get Bluetooth when you select CD on the head unit. To do this you need to splice into the audio lines in the cable that goes from the CD unit, leaving the other connections intact (so the head unit can still "see" the CD player). A car audio installer should be able to do it.

The cable you need to splice into:-

Pin out for the connector:-

Last edited by dibbit; 05-31-2017 at 02:51 AM.
Ungn (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

A while back I decided to dedicate my cassette player as the input for phones, etc.. I also wanted a solution that does not require removal/charging of the adapter. I am halfway thru the process.

First I "hard wired" the cassette adapter into the unit so that the 3.5mm jack is not dangling out of the front of the cassette flap.

Wire is routed out the back of the unit and into the console. I disabled the auto eject of the cassette so the flap stays down and hides the adapter entirely.

I already took care of setting up USB power under the console when I added phone chargers into the coin tray and inside the console.

All that is left for me to do is purchase one of these small bluetooth receivers that will output to 3.5mm and plug in my hidden wire. I plan to hide the BT receiver since it will be always powered when key is on.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01IV1H1...=1PFZ513S2M5SF

Old 05-31-2017, 11:42 AM
Received 267 Likes on 199 Posts

On a similar note, and if we're talking dismantling, I have previously wired a 3.5mm jack directly to the board where the tape head signal goes. This was on a 1998 Range Rover, but would work on any unit with a tape deck. I unplugged the small board that the tape head is actually mounted to. That stereo didn't object if there was no actual tape inserted (some will) so as long as the lever that indicates a tape being present was pushed back (using a screwdriver) it was happy. As long as you didn't accidently press eject you could happlily swap between inputs. And if you did hit eject, a quick prod with a screwdriver re-engaged the tape player.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rob L
Hmm the good thing about Amazon, order on sunday for free delivery and it arrives on the bank holiday Monday afternoon. Good service.

The bluetooth cassette sounds ok however when i turn it up you can hear the mechanical turning noise of the cassette player motor coming through my speakers, it is not really acceptable, also when you push the tape about it with your finger it goes from dull to clear so your not always getting the best sound. I dont know if they will let me return it as i have obviously removed it from the packaging.
I know what you are saying. When I first got the ION I also noticed that you can slightly hear the turning of the cassette (just like a real cassette) but that was only if I had the volume extremely low and the noise did not transmit through the speakers. The very slight mechanical noise was not noticeable once I turned the volume to normal listening. Also, not sure why you would be fiddling around with the cassette once it is in and operating. I have had others in the car when streaming music from my phone to the ION and everyone had thought it sounded just like bluetooth that is built into most cars these days.

Doug