XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bonnet Ground Strap

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 02:19 PM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Bonnet Ground Strap

I am needing to replace the ground strap on the hood/bonnet of my XKR. While looking it over today, I have noticed that the strap is secured above the three bolt body hood hinge mounting gusset, but it is secured with a plastic bolt, plastic washer and plastic nut; is this the correct attachment point for this strap and the correct mounting hardware?

I ask because the manual shows the location with a line and ball diagram to point out the general location on the vehicle, but is not an actual representation of the mounting point itself. Also evidence of a re-spray is evident, so I will be removing the strap to replace it and grind any paint away from the mounting surfaces.

I also noticed the multi-plug for the Forward Alert Module is askew, so I will be re-seating that as well; hopefully this is what is causing the Forward Alert Button LED to slowly blink continuously after I shut the car off, but I think it is the ignition cylinder that is fouled with hardened white lithium lubricant, that is ultimately not allowing the car to consistently go into 'Sleep Mode'.

Any information on the correct/original mounting location of the hood ground strap and hardware, would be greatly appreciated; Thanks to all in advance.

Last edited by 03 XKR; 11-28-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

03, sounds like you are interested in the factory set up as opposed to the purpose behind this strap. All I could offer is a look on my 1998 XK8 and report how/where that connects. Let me know.

John

The following users liked this post:
03 XKR (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken
03, sounds like you are interested in the factory set up as opposed to the purpose behind this strap. All I could offer is a look on my 1998 XK8 and report how/where that connects. Let me know.

John
I would assume that regardless of the purpose intended it would be mounted to a clean metallic surface that had not been thoroughly re-sprayed with paint before the strap was re-installed to the now freshly painted surface with plastic fasteners. I do not see how it can make contact in it's current state, without a type of eye loop that could pierce through the painted surface to make contact with a clean metal surface, the strap on my car does not have ends that can pierce through the paint, it has flat ends without any type of spikes to make that contact, I do not think it is original. But if the original purpose of the strap does not require it to reach ground, than I guess I do not have anything to worry about. If you have a picture of where it mounts to, I could compare it to where mine is mounted and see if there is a difference, thanks.

Last edited by 03 XKR; 11-29-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Hope it helps

The following users liked this post:
03 XKR (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 02:09 AM

OK, now I know for sure; my strap is not original, not by a long shot. The one on my car bears no resemblance to yours. It is not mounted in the same location on the hood, or by the same means.

Although it would have been a good idea on my part to actually specify that I was concerned with the mounting location of the other end of the strap which mounts to the car body itself, seeing your picture confirms that the top of my strap is incorrectly mounted to the hood over a painted surface as well.

Do you have a photo of where the other end of the strap is supposed to attach under the hood? The lower attachment point, if it is supposed to be mounted under the plate, as the upper end is on the hood, is in the completely wrong place as well, and again over a shiny painted surface and attached with plastic fasteners, and not under the lower hood hinge mounting plate; I cannot imagine it would provide any sort of ground at all the way it is configured on my vehicle, even if the strap was intact. Could explain a few things. Thank you for the picture of the upper mounting location, I would guess the lower end mounts at the lower hinge plate, but it would be nice to know for sure.