Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

boot/trunk wont open

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 02:40 PM
dpm
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default boot/trunk wont open

Car in bodyshop, got called to a problem they have. They had the boot/trunk open to try and adjust alignment, did not adjust anything but when they closed the boot/trunk it will not now open. Cant use the manual key method as the new rear bumper covers the hole between the XK. the car locks and unlocks O.K. with the fob, only difference now is that when I lock the car it gives a beep but no flash of the indicators, where as before when I locked the car I got no beep but the indicators flashed. Did a search and came up with a thread that said there is a red lever next to the lock mechanism that if moved locks the boot/trunk permanantly, hope they did not move this. Anyone got any idea how to unlock the boot/trunk without ripping the rear end apart?

Old 07-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by dpm
Cant use the manual key method as the new rear bumper covers the hole
I do not understand...is this a modified bumper cover? If so, can't they remove the bumper cover?

Old 07-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

How is the hole between the x and k covered?

Attached Thumbnails boot/trunk wont open-x8.jpg  

Last edited by stevepaa; 07-10-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:19 PM
dpm

The new rear bumper is the Granley design rear end which wraps around the rear and is bonded into place covering the hole for manually locking/unlocking the boot/trunk. The new bumper sits further away from the body of the car so even if a hole was drilled the shaft of the key would not even reach into the lock. The fact that using the fob has a different beep/flash sequence to before makes me wonder if some sort of valet inhibit has been activated or if the battery voltage is low there is not enough power to release the solioid holding the lid down.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Starting the car with a Black Non-Valet Key should clear the Valet Status. Then (with the engine running if possible) press the Trunk Open Button on the Dash.

Also: according to the Owner's Manual, the Trunk Button on the Key Fob should Release the Trunk even if the Valet Status is in effect.

Last edited by Paul Pavlik; 07-10-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:05 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by dpm
The new rear bumper is the Granley design rear end which wraps around the rear and is bonded into place covering the hole for manually locking/unlocking the boot/trunk.....................
I'm probably not the only one interested to see how or why anyone would want to cover up the lock:

This is from the Grantley website.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails boot/trunk wont open-rear-bumper-fitting.jpg  
Old 07-10-2013, 06:07 PM
dpm

Didn't have much time to really look at it today so going back to the bodyshop in the moring, will try starting the car and see if that makes any difference. Don't want to remove the rear bumper if poss but I have a feeling that is what we will end up doing.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

You could make a hole, (probably need the bumper off to get the right location) and make a long "emergency key" for the future.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:11 PM
dpm

Graham that is the bumper I have fitted, not easy to see but it does sit away from the body of the car where the key hole is, and the shaft of the key would not be long enough to reach into the lock.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:22 PM
GGG

If you have two black Master Keys, you could cut the shaft off one and braze it to a rod or into a suitable tube to give sufficient length to reach the lock.

Only a Master key will open the boot but it doesn't need the transponder chip in the head to do this.

Graham

Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
If you have two black Master Keys, you could cut the shaft off one and braze it to a rod or into a suitable tube to give sufficient length to reach the lock.

Only a Master key will open the boot but it doesn't need the transponder chip in the head to do this.

Graham
That would be remarkably like my "emergency key"

Old 07-10-2013, 06:34 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by Norri
That would be remarkably like my "emergency key"
Perhaps - although this is the regular 'emergency' key.

Attached Thumbnails boot/trunk wont open-emergency_key_box.jpg  
Old 07-10-2013, 06:38 PM
dpm

I'm sure we can come up with some kind of mechanical solution or even take the rear end off but was hoping it would be a more simple solution something around the fob/valet/locking sequence or too low a voltage to release the solinoid. As I say I will try starting the car in the morning and see what happens. just looked at the time and it is the morning already, on a night shift at work at moment so can keep anwering through the night in between going out on site, the joys of shift work LOL.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

If the problem is too low a voltage, you can place a charger (+) lead on the bolt in the corner of the fuesbox under the hood, and use a chassis bolt for ground.

DO NOT use this to jump start the car however. This wiring cannot handle starting current.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:45 PM

It could be battery voltage, it is possible to connect to the posts in the engine compartment to open the trunk NOT start the car.

Original pic from Paul Plavik I believe.

Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2013, 06:47 PM
GGG

If the vehicle has been sitting with the boot open whilst they've been working on it, the battery will be well down.

If they've disconnected the battery before playing with the electrics, you wont be doing anything with the fob.

Graham

Old 07-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Almost no one uses the key lock. I tried mine several years ago to make sure that the keys/lock worked and have not since. Guess I should go lube the lock since disuse seems to be the greatest failure problem.

Make sure the battery is fully charged, try and report the dash trunk release button, try and report the key fob trunk release button. Reprogram the fob is all else fails.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:44 PM
dpm

Car has been in the corner of workshop for 3 weeks, maybe Graham you are right with the doors open and the boot/trunk open and closed then open again the battery may be too low to release the solinoid. The solinoid goes with a loud clunk when released so may need the battery to have a good voltage. I will take my battery pack with me just in case the car wont start, at least I will be able to connect to the pin under the bonnet/hood and put 12 volts to the car that may release the boot/trunk.The one thing that confuses me is the fob locking and unlocking the doors O.K. but as I said before the indicators flashed but no beep, now there is a beep but the indicators dont flash. Not sure what the correct sequance should be when locking unlocking using the fob.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

The lock behavior can be very weird and unpredictable when the battery is low on this car.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:01 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by dpm
.................. but as I said before the indicators flashed but no beep, now there is a beep but the indicators dont flash. Not sure what the correct sequance should be when locking unlocking using the fob.
A beep with no flashing indicators on the UK spec security system is usually because either a door, the bonnet or the boot is not properly closed and the alarm system cannot arm.

Graham

Quick Reply: boot/trunk wont open