Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake switch switcheroo, 2006 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,292 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by jrnsr
I was afraid my Jag might've drown in a flood, too, but Carfax said it hadn't, so I took my chances on it. I was dealing with a tiny trickle short in the wiring, pulling the tailight relay in, for a 4A constant drain, killing the battery, but had the advantage of bright brake lights helping me in my search. I pulled every single fuse on the car and they did not go out! Unplugging connectors in the trunk helped isolate my problem to the trunk but by then, the melted insulation was evident.

First, see if the little door on the ignition switch is closing, it energizes a lot of devices in preparation for switching the car on. Maybe a shot of WD40 will end that mystery. Everytime I inserted or removed the key, the little door shut off and turned on my brake lights, driving me nuts because there's nothing turning those lights on and off except the brake switch. Even disconnecting the brake switch didn't shut them off. Insane!

Afterwards, I might suggest starting with 12mm socket disconnecting the heavy positive leads on the fuse boxes one at a time to segregate large clumps of hardware quickly. From there, track down connectors and modules to disconnect. Good luck!
Ha! When I was reading thru your troubles I'd wondered whether or not yours had maybe been for a swim, or maybe someone had kept it from ya.

I also have an 02 XK8 that, at first, whenever I'd turn on the lights I would get the check rear lights on the dash. Never solved it and am sick of it. Maybe I'll take another stab at it. At the time, with help of folks here, it seemed everything led to the SCLM,,, but maybe that's not the case. It's been a while,,, I'll go back for a look see.

I will also definitely check on the key latch. You are RIGHT, I know it doesn't always fall back into place BUT I never new it was as vital or connected to things in such a way. Great info, thank you.

And yes, thanks again, I posted in my "rescue" thread today asking about the major lead going into the fuse box junctions. Hoping that that would be a way to eliminate major subsections of the car quickly. Was wondering (and still am) if I could get a nice jump start (pardon the pun) on this seemingly massive problem by approaching it that way.

This thread has been a great help, thanks so much to all!