Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brembo brakes 'How to' ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:23 AM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Brembo brakes 'How to' ??

Cant find a 'how to' on 2006 xkr brakes. I'd like to get all my tools in order before I take apart. I'll be also changing the rotors. Anyone know if there's one online? It's not on the sticky

Old 12-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

The workshop manual has all the details.

Third_Edition_Released_in_2003.pdf

Old 12-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

The Brembos are easy. Tap the pins out to remove the spring plate and pads. Use anything you can find to retract the pistons (make sure the reservoir doesn't overflow). Two bolts hold the calipers in place just like any other disc brakes. Once the calipers are off, a little "motivation" (read: hammer taps) is all that's necessary to get the rotors off. Make sure to wire-brush the centering ridge on the hub before putting the new rotor back on. Remove all the grit that might keep the rotor from fitting perfectly flush to the hub. The caliper bolts require a fair amount of torque when installing - get that right.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:27 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

The only unusual thing I found when do this same job with the Brembo brakes on my 2005 XK8 was the pad retaining pins were distorted. This is probably because they are much smaller diameter than the pins on standard brakes.

I replaced all the pins and the small spring retaining clips (arrowed in red):

Brembo brakes 'How to' ??-brembo.jpg

I wasn't expecting this and completion of the work was delayed waiting for delivery of these addiitional parts. If I'd inspected the calipers before just ordering discs and pads, this could have been avoided.

Graham

Old 12-06-2016, 01:58 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Jaguar TV on youtube shows them doing it.. it doesn't look TOO hard.. this spring I'll probably tackle the front and rears on mine since the pads were low. Lost my job so I'm holding off but compared to normal pads - looks like it's an easy slide pads in and out procedure.

Video might help *shrugs*

Old 12-06-2016, 02:12 PM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chidester
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYAHYbuITDk

Jaguar TV on youtube shows them doing it.. it doesn't look TOO hard.. this spring I'll probably tackle the front and rears on mine since the pads were low. Lost my job so I'm holding off but compared to normal pads - looks like it's an easy slide pads in and out procedure.

Video might help *shrugs*

Didnt think it would be that easy. On the video, they left the 'lipped' rotor on? I would guess it must at least be resurfaced