XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brembo discs xkr

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brembo discs xkr

Hello, i am trying to understand or figure out if it is possible or if not recommended or if actually better to have
Brembo Drilled Brake Discs front and standard brembo discs rear (not drilled) ? on a xkr coupe 2003

i ve been reading here and there about the pros and cons and i wonder if there are some data about combining two types of discs or if one has to have the same type of discs rear and front.. many thanks

Old 08-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Good day,

I do not believe you have to have the same brand name front and back...

Cheers!!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:20 AM

in fact i have seen several xkr with brembo drilled discs for the front but not at the back and i wonder why

Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I would suggest that the disks be replaced with what came on it. Since drilled disks have a different friction coefficient from non-drilled, the ABS may not like the difference in certain situations. It may mean nothing in real world use, but I would hate to be the tester. The drilled disks are a lot more expensive so that is probably the reason they are mixed. I like the look of the drilled disks so I use them, but I would not mix them. In reality, the solid ones work better in street use as they have more surface area.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:35 AM

many thanks for your comments, indeed it could be a question of cost with nothing rational behind in term of performance

Old 08-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

I would replace all four corners instead of just the front and I don't think you'll have any problems. some of the members have upgraded with no problems Drilled rotors perform better than solid on the road or on the track Here's more information about drilled rotors. The cracking usually is from a cheaper rotor so I would be careful of which brand I purchased.
Drilled brake rotors, as the name implies, have holes drilled in them. Having a holes drilled into any of your brake parts may seem counter intuitive, especially the brake rotors -- after all, a rotor full of holes means that there's less surface area for the brake pads to grab and stop the car -- but there are a few reasons drilled rotors make sense. The first is heat. When the brake pad grabs the rotor, it creates friction, which creates heat. If that heat can't escape, it leads to brake fade, which reduces the brakes' stopping power. The second reason is gas build up. This actually isn't much of a problem any more; however, the materials used in some older types of brake pads caused gas to build up between the rotors and pads. That gas also limited stopping power. The last reason is water. If a car drives through a puddle, a carwash or even a rainstorm, the brake rotors can get wet. A wet brake rotor is slippery and difficult for the brake pads to grab. Having drilled holes on a brake rotor makes it easy for heat, gas and water to be quickly moved away from the rotor surface, keeping the brake performance strong.

The following users liked this post:
Calahonda (09-21-2014)
Old 08-14-2012, 03:51 AM

are there some real data on comparisons of rotors for this kind of brake or people who have been trying to combine them or to compare holes and no holes on xk8/xkr ? could it be only that they look good and some marketing but nothing really clear on safety and performance ? strange that i can not find data, at least so far

Old 08-14-2012, 04:09 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Anyone else checked the holes in their drilled Brembo discs?

Although they looked OK from a walk past, I had to clean mine out with a small drill bit. They were almost all plugged with brake dust which, getting wet, then goes to a paste and sets.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Calahonda (09-21-2014)
Old 08-14-2012, 04:57 AM

mine are not clean for sure

Old 08-14-2012, 05:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

I'll strap on my crash hat and don the flame suit before suggesting:

It's a lot more about visual appeal with cross drilled discs than any measurable performance improvement for normal road use.

Graham

Old 08-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased new disks for my car. It was recommended by several authorities not to use drilled disks because the will always crack because of heating under extreme braking action. I purchased my disks from BrakePerformance.com. The disks that I purchased were their premium dimpled and slotted ones, additionally I use Hawk pads. The combination works great, with fantastic stopping power and little or no brake dust. Check out their website for lots on information.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

Hi Rweber, I went to the BrakePerformance.com site and according to their site and a rep. They don't make a dimpled slotted rotor for the XKR's only the XK8's . I told them I did not have brembo rotors. They said we don't make a dimpled rotor for the XKR?
Which rotors did you actually get? Can you give part number? Did you get all silver or silver and black?
were your hawk pads metallic or ceramic any part numbers for them?
THANKS FOR INFO.

HAPPY MOTORING...

Old 08-17-2012, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
It's a lot more about visual appeal with cross drilled discs than any measurable performance improvement for normal road use.
I will agree with that and also the cracking between holes, cross drilled look cool, take looking after as you need to clean the holes out, if you dont this also causes cracking..

I prefer grooved which you dont see very often, I bought plain Brembo discs (these were also fitted by Jaguar as were the cross drilled both were an option) and slotted them myself

Name:  IMG_0964.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  76.1 KB

Old 08-17-2012, 03:52 AM

thanks a lot for these suggestions
b

Old 08-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Newest info from Brake Performance: I e-mailed them the part numbers of the disks that I purchased from them and their reply is that they changed the castings and only the rear cross drilled are available. Sure glad I bought mine when I did.