Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken cupholder cogs

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Broken cupholder cogs

Good day all!,
Curious as to has anyone experienced broken (split) cogs on the bottom inside of your cupholder mechanism
Both of mine have split, but the rest of the cupholder is in great shape. Have seen Sam's great cupholder repair video (all your vids well done Sam!), but nothing regarding this. Should anyone have a trashed cupholder, (but with good cogs), or good cogs themselves, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to purchase them. Although fuzzy, I have included a couple of pics.
I must conclude in saying I have found this Forum to be most enjoyable, hearing everyones experiences and the wealth of info presented has been such great help in bringing My Cat into as perfect shape as possible. Thanks to everyone!!

Attached Thumbnails Broken cupholder cogs-cupholder-gears-001.jpg   Broken cupholder cogs-cupholder-gears-003.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe Jaguar themselves actually do a repair kit for cup-holders , used to be very cheap (for a change)

Hope this helps

NikasilNik

The following users liked this post:
Hdpartsman00XKR (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 06:03 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

The cupholder repair kit Part Number is GNA7692AB

Sit down when you ask the cost.

Graham

Old 01-13-2013, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the info NIK and Graham, I'll have my chair ready, after selling Harley parts for 30 years, nothing comes as a surprise when it comes to exclusivity!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

One of the cogs on my XJ6 was cracked, but the teeth were all there. I repaired it with JB Weld and so far it's holding up. Then again, I don't open it very often since it's almost useless.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ237
One of the cogs on my XJ6 was cracked, but the teeth were all there. I repaired it with JB Weld and so far it's holding up. Then again, I don't open it very often since it's almost useless.
+1

I used mine once or twice when I first bought my car. Hardly anything fits in it, and when I went around a curve and the cup flew out and spilled all over everything, I was done with it.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
The cupholder repair kit Part Number is GNA7692AB

Sit down when you ask the cost.

Graham
£98.26 at british parts..+vat and post and packing....
not got one in my car

Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy a new armrest complete with cup holder for just over $100 from the usual suspects. Part number GNA7670BF + whatever color code.

You can then replace the whole lot or just extract the mechanism.

weisberg (02-04-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:03 PM

I've tried the J.B.Weld treatment, didnt hold, mine are also broken w/no teeth missing. Approx $200.00 for repair kit (ouch)!, so now going to try Loctite Plastc Epoxy. RJ237 and Kevin D, your so right, so small almost useless, I too have experienced the "spilled all over everything", maybe I just expect to much in the pursuit of perfection. Gonna do the epoxy repair and let it rock & roll from there, have new armrest cover from Topsonline(Thanks Vic), once all back together I'll lay this one to rest.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Wills
You can buy a new armrest complete with cup holder for just over $100 from the usual suspects. Part number GNA7670BF + whatever color code.

You can then replace the whole lot or just extract the mechanism.
I'd be interested to learn where you can buy a "new armrest with cupholder for just over $100".

The last cost I saw from Jaguar was $719.

Graham

99ragtop (03-05-2014)
Old 01-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

When I used the JB Weld I didn't just use it as a glue in the crack. I joined the cog to the shaft with it, then built a mound on the surface of the cog, I think. One of these days I have to repair my XK8 cupholder and will ask a friend to take pictures of the process I used, incorporating a piece of brass tubing to rebuild the hinge.
While visiting Coventry West recently I saw a cover with working cupholder available for $200.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
I'd be interested to learn where you can buy a "new armrest with cupholder for just over $100".

The last cost I saw from Jaguar was $719.

Graham

SNG Barratt sell them for $138.75 in Nimbus Grey. Which i believe is technically an XJ8 only color? but you could extract the cup holder.
http://www.sngbarrattusa.com/catalog...gepos=0&back=n
I've also seen similar items pop up on eBay in varying colors for simular prices.

Last edited by Wills; 01-16-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Default rotten cup holder

Three times now I have cleaned up the back seat from coffee with cream and sugar. First time Jag's fault. Second and third my own from forgetting what a piece of junk it is. My '99 has a broken hinge and the split gear. It seems that the plastic has given up most of the volatile chemicals and is now the consistency of a potato chip. Fix one bit and the next breaks. Short of sealing it closed, I'm about to give it one more try. JB weld hasn't stuck, and it does not appear to be ABS since that solvent also does not work. There's a fellow on EBAY who fixes these for $79 exchange plus postage. In looking at his photos it looks like Jag provides a couple of metal hinges which are screwed to the underside of the lid and the body of the holder. hundred bucks a hinge....a true bargain from Jag. I will attempt to alter whatever hinges I can find, and clamp my cog to its shaft and carefully melt the plastics together with my soldering iron. Of course, if I seal it closed I won't be tempted to decorate the interior with beverages. If I succeed, I'll post info on the hinges I found.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I just had my '98 XK8 cupholder repaired by this guy: Jaguar XK8 XJ8 XJ6 XKR XJR X300 X308 Cup Holder Repair Kit Exchange | eBay

You don't actually buy it on ebay. You call him in San Bernardino, CA at (909) 882-4144, name Jerry and give him your email address. His is jerryjag-at -msn-dot-com and you send him your broken cupholder. He rebuilds it for $75 plus postage, one day turnaround. You pay through ebay when he sends a request.

Just had mine done and very pleased. Here's another of his links: Central console arm-rest « JaguarMaster He will also re-cover your worn armrest if you want but subject to his having your color available. He didn't have mine, though, so I did it myself with original precut leather, purchased from: JAGUAR NEW ARMREST COVER,COVER for ARM REST IVORY TRIM

All in all, a successful project!

Sam

Old 01-31-2013, 03:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked for three years to buy an arm rest with a cup holder.
Found a new one on eBay for £120.00
What a waste of money. Unless you like expresso only small cups fit and then your elbow knocks it all over the carpet.
Window clip on that fits real size cups £5.00
You live and learn.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Default it's fixed!

My '99 holder would not accept hinges...no place on the body to screw into. I finally took a copper insert tube used for plumbing compression fittings of 1/4" plastic tube and cut the length to the width of the remaining hinge point. Its purpose is to keep the plastic from crushing completely when the compression sleeve is tightened. The inner diameter is just right for the nubs on the holder....enlarged the half a hole on the broken bit and filed a recess in the outboard surface to accept the flare in the copper tube. JB weld went on and was hand turned for an hour because it sags until it sets up enough. I put on enough to make a blob the size of the good side and it came to the end of the copper. I let it cure for two days and it held well and accepted the hinge pins of the center section. I also put ABS solvent on the split cog's axle and lightly clamped the cog together....with a blob of JB over the end....careful not to get it between the gear teeth. The cog doesn't rotate on the axle, the whole thing rotates inside the housing, so gluing it together makes sense. It's been about a week and seems to be holding together well. I don't think spending hard earned dollars to have old ones repaired makes sense because all of the plastic seems to now be very brittle and I think one part after another will come apart. I don't intend to use the holder since it really doesn't work, but at least now my armrest is closed up and looks normal.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

That's almost exactly what I did. I used a piece from brass tubing commonly available in hobby shops, the same fix on the cog that you used.

Last edited by RJ237; 02-04-2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Did not finish sentance
Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default replacement armrest $100 easiest job

Like Wills, I fixed mine by simply replacing the armrest from an earlier model. My original was more nicely padded but it was easy.

I only replaced mine in an attempt to having too many minor things broken and feeling like a beater.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Default To cuphold, or not?

You know, now upon reflecting on everyones "cupholder hell", and even though I have recovered my armrest, added a scoche extra padding, and evenmore, it looks good, Frogs earlier post, and yours weisburg, have driven me to the conclusion that a "cupholder delete" armrest would be more to my liking. I admit, my OCD has kicked in, since mine doesnt work perfectly,(and is useless to boot!), its now time to find a replacement minus the cupholder, and then recover to match, I guess only then will I be happy. Hey, we all have our quirks,lol!!

Old 02-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Same problem. Used crazy glue then squeezed the cog shut with a vise grip. You have to be careful and use the bolt on the end of the handle to close grip. Now let the piece sit for a full 24 hours at room temp. Mine has lasted 3 years so far. Jack

Quick Reply: Broken cupholder cogs