XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying An 05 Jaguar XKR Convertible For $23,500 Is This A Good Deal ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default RE: Buying An 05 Jaguar XKR Convertible For $23,500 Is This A Good Deal ?

That's definitely a good price kyle, i'd inspect it really good, perhaps take to a jag mechanic for a thorough inspection, even if you have to pay a small fee to do so. To put it into perspective, i purchased my 03 in 2006 for $35k. Only thing perhaps to consider is the etended warranty. Convertible top lines have are prone to rupturing at 3-6 years into their use, and i also had a issue with the telescoping steering column, whole thing had to be replaced, and the CCV valve and vent tube replaced due to corrosion and caused an emission leak, but thankfully had jag's select edition warranty...and this car is in TX, not up north like that one obviously is. May be worth considering the extended warranty for a little extra if you do choose to get it. They're great cars once you get past some of the minor trouble areas.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts
Default RE: Buying An 05 Jaguar XKR Convertible For $23,500 Is This A Good Deal ?

Seems like an awesome deal. Make sure you check out the history, etc real well. I can't believe a dealer would not know the value. Unless they figure they are going to have a tough time moving it at this time of year.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

For that price I would almost guess that the car came in pieces and you would need to assemble. Is this thing for real??

Doug

Old 11-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Are you really just a guy looking to buy a Jag or are you shilling for auction houses and/or other websites? Of course auctions are probably the best way to get a great deal on a car but my understanding is that they are more for folks in the auto-biz rather than just us plain folk looking to get a car.

Doug

Old 11-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

So it looks like we have some troll here looking to gin up some business for himself. Reported to moderator.

Doug

Old 11-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

So, you buy your vehicles at auction prices and then a few months later sell them privately at retail prices? Sounds like a business to me, not an interest in a vehicle. Unluckily some of us don't have the access to good auctions and try and make the best retail deal we can on a vehicle we may have a passion for...maybe some us end up being your retail buyers.

Base your decision on investment and what profit you can make, not whether the XKR is a good car to own.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default RE: Not My Fault You Overpaid

Kyle, do me a favor, please consider the advice we have given and make a decision. No more discussion that sounds like you're convincing us as opposed to yourself. It may be just a coincidence, but your sounding alot like a previous poster that was banned pretty quickly. If your legit, we all wish you luck, and post up when you pick up your car.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

According to black book values and manheim MMR, Seismac might have overpaid by $5k or so. not $14k as you claim. His example might be beyond clean and justify the higher price.

I go to manheim auctions twice a week usually and also get new black books every week pretty much. These two sources are by far the most predicatable and reliable ways to value vehicles besides looking on the market.

The car you show is at a Ford dealership. Most jaguar buyers dont shop at a domestic dealer. Have you paint metered the car? chances are its probably been wrecked. As well it has the plain 18" wheels, not that 19s or 20s most Rs have....the wheels make or break the XKs.

The interior also looks rough and I dont like how the passenger rear quarter panel and wheel angle looks. good luck with it though.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

I gotta say that if you are soooooo savvy about car values, WHY your original question? Is this a good deal? If you KNOW all dealers rip you off by highly inflating prices you should also KNOW that ALL warranty programs are designed to deny your claims and cause you a hassle. Why ask? If you make a HOBBY out of driving luxury vehicles, changing them every 3-4 months you should know more about what you dabble in. What benefit is it to you asking ANY advice on this Forum?

I think you are just playing...BYE!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: bmw745ion19s

According to black book values and manheim MMR, Seismac might have overpaid by $5k or so. not $14k as you claim. His example might be beyond clean and justify the higher price.

I go to manheim auctions twice a week usually and also get new black books every week pretty much. These two sources are by far the most predicatable and reliable ways to value vehicles besides looking on the market.

The car you show is at a Ford dealership. Most jaguar buyers dont shop at a domestic dealer. Have you paint metered the car? chances are its probably been wrecked. As well it has the plain 18" wheels, not that 19s or 20s most Rs have....the wheels make or break the XKs.

The interior also looks rough and I dont like how the passenger rear quarter panel and wheel angle looks. good luck with it though.
I'll probably kick myself for getting sucked into this stupid youpaidtoomuch youpaidtoolittle debate. If time and location are no object and/or you are willing to buy site unseen, sure you can research forever and travel from auction to auction or take chances on ebay and perhaps save some money. In my case, I keep cars for many years and tend to get attached to them, and I did not have the time or inclination to auction shop or travel across country to look at cars. That being said, after looking locally (and even studying prices beyond local as well as ebay and other sources) for at least 6 months, I came across a private seller 2 miles from my house who was selling for about $10K less than similar vintage/mileage/condition vehicles were selling for at various dealers. I was quite satisfied at the purchase I made and do not feel 'suckered'.

Doug

Quick Reply: Buying An 05 Jaguar XKR Convertible For $23,500 Is This A Good Deal ?