XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can worn rear wheel bearing cause traction/stability failure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Can worn rear wheel bearing cause traction/stability failure?

I ask because I thought I may remember one of us finding worn bearing & wheel wobble caused his intermittent ABS light Traction & Stability failure amber light.

My left rear wheel bearing is worn, now making noise. Cleaned wheel sensors, now before I pull the ABS module to evaluate solder joints, I wanted to bounce the bearing question off you.

If this cab and does happen, is there any way to verify a worn bearing, wobbling wheel is mis aligning the ABS wheel and causing This?

My amber failure is intermittent, mostly caused by quick hard right turning motion (like you'd have to do if a deer was about to jump out all of a sudden from the hedge on the right).

Just trying to pick the best next step for trouble shooting this one. Btw, if I forgot to ask, how bad would the bearing have to be to cause this traction stability failure message?

Thanks John

Old 10-12-2017, 10:42 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

It absolutely can. I was getting a very sporadic ABS/DSC fault on the dash, sometimes preceded by a sharp judder felt through the whole car. The fault would always disappear on the next start up.

I cleaned the wheel rear wheel sensors, which were dirty, and it cleared the fault for a while, but it seems around the time the right rear wheel bearing started to howl, I had another fault appear.

Because the ABS wheel will follow movement of the hub and wheel bearings, whereas the ABS sensor is mounted solidly on the hub assembly, independent of the hub itself, if the wheel bearings allow the hub to rock, it can cause a misreading on the part of the ABS sensor due to misalignment. When I jacked the rear end of my car up before bearing replacement, I had noticeable 6-12 movement in the suspect wheel, as well as 3-9 play. I posted a video of this wheel movement in response to a question in another thread. I will repost here so you can see/hear how much was causing my faults to appear. It was not as mich as you would think would be necessary to cause a fault.

I don't know the state of your ABS module, but it you have an audible howl from the rear wheel bearing, and you are getting an intermittent ABS/DSC fault, I would replace the bearing before meddling with the ABS module. After I replaced my rear wheel bearings I have not had any ABS/DSC faults appear.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks so much ChillyPhilly, that helps a bunch! Looks like I now have a new job to master (ha ha) the rear bearings. I will be coming back for your great advice as I dive into it, hope you don't mind!

Once again - a Big Thank You. I appreciate you and everyone here. This helps with my direction a lot. Here we go, a new job to learn live (Yikes!!).

John

Old 10-13-2017, 10:30 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If it is your wheel bearings you might not want to rack up a lot of miles until you can attend to it. I had to replace the hub, ABS wheel, rear rotors and pads because of damage caused by excess runout or “wobble” that the bad bearing allowed.

The rocking action that chillyphilly describes so well is what allowed my brake rotor to contact the inside of the caliper, cutting a groove in the rotor. Luckily the caliper was ok. Genuine Jaguar rotors are 800 each and the pad set is around 375 for the optional R package brakes. Of course rotors should be replaced in pairs using new pads. If the carrier bore gets ruined by a spun bearing, that’s 1500 part from Jag.

Good luck with your project. It's not that bad of a job once you get into it & see how it's all put together.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Flat6, thanks! I bet you have an R version. The rotors on the 8 are about $60. But I do take your warning seriously.

Thanks john