XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you fit people in the back seats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can you fit people in the back seats?

I know the back seats are tiny. If you move the front seats up a bit, can you fit a normal sized person in the back? In a pinch, can you actully put 4 people in an XK8?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

The first time I seriously looked into buying one of these one of the first things I did was to see what the back seat was like. I would consider myself average build (about 5'-7" and 160 pounds) and I somehow managed to squeeze myself back there but there is really almost no legroom, even with the front seat moved up. Might be just adequate for a small child.

I really didn't care much about there being a back seat (the car that was being replaced--a 1995 Corvette--had no back seat) and I actually liked the fact that I couldn't haul around others but being a "4-seater" the insurance was probably a bit less.

The back seat does come in handy for small luggage or other things.

Doug

Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

You can just get a small adult in the back if the front passenger moves their seat forward.
For any normal sized driver the front seat needs to be back nearly touching the rear squab.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default everything is possible

This past weekend I managed to fit a rather petite female friend in the back seat with the front passenger seat moved as far forward as it would go. She did have to sit a bit diagonal though and did not really look all that comfortable.
I don't think I'd be able to drive with the seat in the frontmost position, so three people is the absolute maximum for me.

The following users liked this post:
B SMITH (03-10-2021)
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

On the rare occasions I have had to carry two passengers, the person in the front has had to move their seat as far forward as they can, while the rear passenger sits behind me with their feet behind the front passenger! I have never even attempted 3 passengers.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 722 Posts

I've managed to fit three girls my age in the back seat. I don't think any of them exceeded 125 lbs but at least two of them surpassed me in height. I'm 5'3". I think the tallest of them, was 5"5. The fourth passenger was my best friend. I think I even had a fifth passenger sitting in the lap of my best friend, it was another girl. The shortest of the bunch. With the roof lowered it was somewhat more comfortable for them in the headroom department. There wasn't much we could do for the leg room.

So in total, the most I've been able to fit in the XK8 is 6 people. 5 of which were quite drunk. Hahaha

Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

logically, not possible. only good for emergency cases.

the only reason they put those rear seats is for insurance reasons

Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just need room to occasionally drive the kids to school. Short trips where they don't need to be real comfortable.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

About a month ago, I took my friend and his 8 year old son for a ride in my XK and his kid was whining the whole time!

Although I understood his plight (having to sit sideways for 20 minutes,) when I was 20 years old, I rode from Kansas City to Denver and back again in the back of a 1978 Datsun 280Z - and NOT the 2+2 variety either! It sucked, but hey! We were going on a ski trip, dammit!

That being said, NO - the back seats are not for real humans (with legs!)

The "seats" are put there to qualify our cars for lower insurance premiums right?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Important to remember that, as a Judge (incorrectly) ruled of the Mini Cooper, adultery is impossible in an XKR.
And, giandanielxk8, that puts me in mind of a Beatles song...........

Last edited by steveinfrance; 01-07-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Six people in an XK8 at one time should be considered cruel and inhumane punishment, even when drunk!

We've never had anyone in my wife's XK8's pretend back seat, nor would we ever allow anyone to even try to get back there. It is solely for groceries, luggage, and occasionally her English Cocker Spaniel. But there's no way my Greyhound can fit back there, either....

Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

HA! This reminded me of a trip during my college years where five (5) of us took a trip from central Illinois to New Orleans for Mardi Gras in my 67 Camaro convertible. No one in the back seemed to complain, we were all just so happy to be on the road! Lots of good memories from that trip............one of which I have to relate: In those days the interstate was not complete all the way so we were roaring along a two lane blacktop with the 396 gobbling up the miles quite nicely when we spotted a roadside bar. Being ever thirsty college kids, we had to stop. The bar was just as you might imagine with 5-6 patrons and a shotgun laying across the cooler behind the bar. Ordered beers and the bartender asked if we want short ones or tall ones. We were all a bit puzzled but said sure, give us tall ones! He rolled out five _quart_ bottles of Bud (no glasses)!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by notopm3
I just need room to occasionally drive the kids to school. Short trips where they don't need to be real comfortable.
You're in luck, they WON'T be real comfortable. I hope they are elementary age, because if they are any bigger than the Lollipop Guild munchkins, two won't fit.

Is the real exercise to find some rationalization so the wife will allow a purchase? If that is the case the forum might be able to get you some better answers.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Jon, it didn't seem cruel to me; we were all having a blast. I guess a bunch of drunk 19 and 20 year old girls don't mind being packed like sardines in a nice car. Haha

Steve, coitus in an XK8 is something I will never again try to attempt. It was not impossible, but it was the most uncomfortable experience I've ever had. Btw, what Beetles song? I'm not the most familiar with their discography. :/

Old 01-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Sounds like the time I had four in a Fiat 124 Spider - with the top UP in the winter (ahhh, ...college days - lol).

I have 13 & 14 year old daughters. For trips of an hour or less, they manage. They've found that with the passenger seat forward, the other can stretch out across both rear seats and get a little comfortable. They'd probably complain if they both didn't love going for rides in "Kitty". I think there may be a little extra recline angle in the coupe's rear seat that may afford a tiny bit more room. I'm not sure what the back would be like in a rag-top while in "tanning" mode.

Ciao - Jim

Old 01-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Default The coupe has more legroom than the convertible

The rear seats are situated further back in the coupe since there is no need for convertible hood stowage/mechanism space.

Attached Thumbnails Can you fit people in the back seats?-xk8-legroom_zpsa38a03aa.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Btw, what Beetles song? I'm not the most familiar with their discography. :/
I suspect he meant, "Why Don't We Do It In the Road", says the man of a certain age.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Go figure. I expected the coupe to be slightly more comfortable. I don't know how girls manage in my car, I guess they put up with it.

I'll give that song a listen.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4
I suspect he meant, "Why Don't We Do It In the Road", says the man of a certain age.
It was actually 'Baby you can drive my car'

giandanielxk8 - there's a wonderful poll opportunity here but it would get us all thrown out of the Forum !

Old 01-08-2013, 07:02 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

My eight year old daughter went with me the day I fist saw my car for sale.

She figured out the perfect use for the back seats.

She carries her Mickey and Minnie dolls w/her wherever she goes.....and they fit in there perfectly, (with shoulder harnesses on).

They go w/us every time.

I won't bore you with the details of our trip from Rochester, NY to Boston MA in an Austin America back in 1978, but it was not cozy for the seven of us

Quick Reply: Can you fit people in the back seats?