XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet removal XK8 to enable footwell welding RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

If you look up you will notice I edited it I had just got off the phone with my parents and that is where they live so I had cornwall on the brain lol.

I am 5 miles north of Norwich about 2 hrs away from you, I can do your welding if you want, just like below.....

Name:  IMG_0715.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  45.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0719.jpg
Views: 1852
Size:  42.9 KB

The following 2 users liked this post by XKRacer:
majoreyeswater (10-23-2012), volkris (08-16-2019)
Old 10-23-2012, 05:39 AM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

You've given me the idea of perhaps just having the nice square hole cut in the floor without the replacement plate, and turning it in to a Flintstones car.
In the event of breakdown i can then just call on Wilma

But seriously folks, does the floor weld dispense with the need for the existing cover plate underneath?

And is the black stuff paint or underseal?

Last edited by Roadhogg; 06-04-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadhogg
Does anyone have any recommendations for someone that can do the welding as well?

This job is on my cars to do list as well, and after my problems with mechanical bits, i wouldn't fancy having to use a welding gun.

They'd have to evacuate the area before letting me near it.

I'm also wondering how a guy named Lance with identical email addresses, moved from Kings Lynn to Cornwall so fast

He must have an XKR.

Kings Lynn is in Norfolk! But to those who don't know the difference the accents sound very similar?? lol
When welding the plates in be very aware that there is a Fuel Pipe running under the Passenger's side (UK) or Driver's side (USA)..
You Guys have been amazing and so helpful Thanks so much?

Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Roadhogg
But seriously folks, does the floor weld dispense with the need for the existing cover plate underneath?

And is the black stuff paint or underseal?

The strengthener plate underneath was only there for production purposes, this is what the sheels were bolted to as the car went around the assembly line.... so no need...

The black stuff is paint, underneath I use Gravitex, depending how bad a soaking your carpets have got you may need to hang them for a few days, you will be amazed how much water they hold...

Once the paint has gone off I stick on a rubber mat for sound deadening

Name:  IMG_0721.jpg
Views: 1903
Size:  58.2 KB

Last edited by XKRacer; 10-23-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Banned

Kings Lynn is in Norfolk! But to those who don't know the difference the accents sound very similar?? lol

Either Cornwall locals or Norfolk locals may add you to their hit list for that one majoreyeswater

My text format seems to have changed all by itself and i've forgotten how to add the "originally posted by" bit to quotes already.
Oh well never mind.

Thankyou for informing me of the fuel pipe under the floor, means it's a definite that i shouldn't attempt it myself unless i want to set something on fire.

On a slightly more serious note i hope nobody thinks of my questions on this thread as a hijacking, i would never do such a thing intentionally.
Honest guv.

Unfortunately for you majoreyeswater you've brought up a common problem with these cars, and my car won't get through it's next MOT without this fix.

Please forgive me.

Never heard of Gravitex but i'll Google it

My local garage welded a lower seal on my Mondeo for it's last MOT, but it's worse now than before they welded it (rust).

I didn't want the same fate to afflict the Jag, which means avoiding my local garage at all costs and finding someone who knows what they're doing.

Last edited by Roadhogg; 06-04-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:04 PM

My local garage welded a lower seal on my Mondeo for it's last MOT, but it's worse now than before they welded it (rust).

I didn't want the same fate to afflict the Jag, which means avoiding my local garage at all costs and finding someone who knows what they're doing.

Looks like i found him XKRacer

Very Sensible! The old rust must be cut out before the new plate is welded in place otherwise the rust continues to eat away at the new metal.. it spreads like a fungus so it must be killed Dead as soon as it is spotted! It would be good to have a Jag get together at the coast next summer? I drove over to Hunstanton and Sherringham for a nice sunny day out (Yes there was ONE Sunny Day) Just to give my Jag an airing! Mrs beside me and the dog in the back seat, hood down.. Brilliant!.. As a matter of interest I am the local co-ordinator for The Association of British Drivers for the Rutland area our website is well worth a visit? The Association of British Drivers We are making great headway for Drivers here in the UK, Cheers.. John

You da man
[/QUOTE]

Old 10-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Banned

I'd love to attend meets and gatherings in the jag majoreyes, i just have to get it roadworthy first.

As for the welding, my local garage taught me the lesson of how NOT to do things properly

Old 04-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

, Fine video Jagwrangler. Can you tell me how to remove/refit the shift pattern surround? Thanks, Bob OB

Old 05-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All

I thought I’d put up some pictures related to removing the carpet prior to welding in the foot-well area.

I removed the cover plates using a hairdryer to warm up the glue and then prised up one end of the cover plate with a fine bladed screwdriver, slipped a piece of 1mm copper wire under the plate and using a sawing motion, heated the plate and drew the wire along to un-stick the plate. Maybe adding rings (like on key rings) to the end of the wire would make it easier and stop the wire cutting into your hands?

The plate got slightly curved during the lifting process, but was easy to straighten by hand. I cleaned off most of the old glue and grime from the mating surfaces with an aluminium scraper and methylated sprits. To replace I used double sided carpet tape. Just ensure that when replacing the strip that the plate is offered up centrally and butted against the ‘well’ edge, then laying down into the ‘well’ smooth from the centre outwards, which will ensure no rippling and the plate will bed down flat.

I used carpet shampoo with a vax to clean up the carpet, and the results are great.

Attached Thumbnails Carpet removal XK8 to enable footwell welding RESOLVED-carpet-clean.jpg   Carpet removal XK8 to enable footwell welding RESOLVED-cleaning-stuff.jpg   Carpet removal XK8 to enable footwell welding RESOLVED-floor-rot.jpg   Carpet removal XK8 to enable footwell welding RESOLVED-strip-fitted.jpg   Carpet removal XK8 to enable footwell welding RESOLVED-strips.jpg  

Old 05-29-2013, 06:10 AM

[QUOTE=Roadhogg;605835]Does anyone have any recommendations for someone that can do the welding as well?

This job is on my cars to do list as well, and after my problems with mechanical bits, i wouldn't fancy having to use a welding gun.

My Friend Ray Matthewson in Thorneywood Nottingham Has the workshop and the Skills to do a quality GAS Welding Job.. cutting out and removing ALL of the rust and then butt welding the new panels in place, This method is far superior to Mig Welding! It is also far better that just welding a Patch over the rust which only enables the existing rust to continue it's work!! IF you need an excellent Motor Engineer and you live close to Nottingham you can contact Ray on 07711648052 Mention my name and you will get an excellent Deal!
(Ray is an Retired Fire Chief and Driver Training Officer for the Nottinghamshire Fire Brigade, He has travelled extensively in his 30' Sailing Boat and has done more welding and Mechanical repairs on Boats than you can imagine!..)

Old 06-04-2013, 06:06 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

I've deleted the last several posts, the argument needs to be resolved between yourselves and this is not the place or the way to do it.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Banned

Thank you for the recommendation majoreyeswater.

If you haven't been here the last 24 hours, the argument Norri is referring to above was between myself and the owner of the place I eventually went to to get the work done.
That's one place i'll never go again.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Suggestion --

For all you Brits with the rusty Jags I strongly recommend a move to Florida. No rust-buckets may be found here.

Life is sunny and bright here in the colonies.

Sam

Old 04-19-2014, 10:34 AM

Just started this on my car, seems like a good opportunity to do a few other jobs as well, done the power steering mod, gonna put in some parking aids, fix the lights in the J-Gate maybe even plumb in a bluetooth phone, also ripped out all the archaic Nokia phone stuff.

Must admit stripping out the interior was easier than I expected, although getting the carpet back should be fun.....

One question, what is the best tool to cut out the floor, especially with that fuel line there..... would steel snips work?

Old 04-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Undo the clips holding the brake and fuel lines and fit a piece of 2x2 in there to hold the pipes down out of the way..... Snips will not be man enough you will need a grinder with a 1mm cutting disc

Old 04-20-2014, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Undo the clips holding the brake and fuel lines and fit a piece of 2x2 in there to hold the pipes down out of the way..... Snips will not be man enough you will need a grinder with a 1mm cutting disc
Thanks, do you cut from the inside or the outside?

Old 04-20-2014, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member

Inside

The following users liked this post:
Bass-man (04-21-2014)
Old 02-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Florida Jags have rust problems too.

Originally Posted by Sambo21
For all you Brits with the rusty Jags I strongly recommend a move to Florida. No rust-buckets may be found here.

Life is sunny and bright here in the colonies.

Sam
I live in Florida and yes in general Jags here are fairly rust free. But my 2001 XKR has floor problems too? After some resurch i found out it had spent time in a local river!!!

Old 10-18-2017, 05:22 PM
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

With the aid of this thread and the replacement floor panels (they are left and right sided) from Dave at DCR AutoParts, my XKR floor looks great. Many thanks all of you.

The chap from King's Lynn mentioned, who I emailed tells me he no longer supplies the replacement floor panels. He now only supplies rear sills, UK 07880745518.

Happy to recommend the chap who did my welding if anyone in the UK's Eastern Region is interested.

I took the carpets out myself to save on labour and wondered what this part under the accelerator pedal was responsible for, anyone able to tell me please?

Old 10-19-2017, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member

It's your kick down switch........ When you are feeling extra heavy footed...

Quick Reply: Carpet removal XK8 to enable footwell welding RESOLVED