XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD changer in truck skips bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 08:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CD changer in truck skips bad

Is there anything I can do to stop the cd player from skipping? Every little bump in the road it skips.
2001 XK8

Old 03-05-2017, 02:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Tough question. Does the quality of the cd have any impact on how bad it skips? (Brand new vs. Old with some visible scratches)

If yes, that's acting some what normal. If no, which I suspect, it verifies suspicions of a faulty cd player.

A properly working cd changer in these cars almost never skips. I don't think mine has skipped more than 3 times in the last year.

I'm sure you'd have mentioned it if you had the cd changer out or opened so any mechanical stabilizers inside the unit aren't the culprit.

Could anything have slipped behind the unit?

As I type this I remember one time when I put something in the trunk it's shape, mass, and position transferred energy from every little bump into the cd changer causing skips. You don't have anything in the trunk right?

Back in paragraph #3 I noted that the superior quality of the car's ride meant few skips. Are you sure your suspension is working correctly?

Going to be tough to figure out but they are easy to find on ebay. Good luck

John

Old 03-05-2017, 07:36 AM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts

Mine would skip on occasion, then progressed to giving codes/messages such as not recognizing a disc. I cleaned the optics and have not had any problems since. Also, since then, I have not had to mess with that worm gear/arm alignment thing anymore. That has been 4 years ago, so if you have not already, it may be worth a free cleaning to see if it helps.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:51 AM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Buy a cleaning disc and use it. People rarely clean the lens in a CD player. I assume your tire pressure is at spec? Not over inflated?

Old 03-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

you should also check your shocks and springs. I had the same problem with my XKR turned out to be bad shocks after changing them no more problems