Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the throttlebody..

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Changing the throttlebody..

Hello guys!

I contacted Jaguar Norway, and asked them if they changed the throttlebody as a service item. They wheren't too happy it seemed, but they agreed to change it. He said that they didn't have a lot of cars in with this problem, and that my car was 11 years old, so he reckoned the problem would have happened already.. Anyway, I asked him if he would do the job for free if the throttlebody gave up on me 01.01.2010.. He said no, and then I said that he could probably guess what I wanted him to do

Many on the forum experienced the throttlebody problem first hand? Do the problem have other consequences?

My car is a 1998 and the VIN was inside the requirements.

Cheers, Jarle

Old 11-18-2009, 04:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2000 XK8 and 52,000 miles on the clock. I purchased the car last November with 27,000 miles on the clock. Two weeks ago I started to receive engine failure messages. I shut the engine off, waited a minute then restarted and things were fine for a few minutes of driving. The message then popped up again and the engine went into limp mode after the second time the message was displayed.

The engine would not rev above 1200 rpm. Just enough to get me to the side of the road or 20 mph or so on a flat/level street. It would not climb any type of incline due to lack of power.

The throttle body was replaced. I now have more power than I ever had. I suspect my TB was on its last leg when I purchased the car but I didn't know this at that time, never having driven a Jaguar in the past.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by GreenJewel
I have a 2000 XK8 and 52,000 miles on the clock. I purchased the car last November with 27,000 miles on the clock. Two weeks ago I started to receive engine failure messages. I shut the engine off, waited a minute then restarted and things were fine for a few minutes of driving. The message then popped up again and the engine went into limp mode after the second time the message was displayed.

The engine would not rev above 1200 rpm. Just enough to get me to the side of the road or 20 mph or so on a flat/level street. It would not climb any type of incline due to lack of power.

The throttle body was replaced. I now have more power than I ever had. I suspect my TB was on its last leg when I purchased the car but I didn't know this at that time, never having driven a Jaguar in the past.
Good, glad that someone actually has experienced problems this many years after the car was new. Means I twisted their arm for a good reason

Thanks!

Cheers, Jarle

Old 11-18-2009, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by JagNor
Good, glad that someone actually has experienced problems this many years after the car was new. Means I twisted their arm for a good reason

Thanks!

Cheers, Jarle
Jaguar didn't replace the unit, I purchased a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty when I purchased the car and the work was done by an independent Jaguar shop. Good luck!!

Old 11-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

To my knowledge of cars these days, isn't the throttle body a rather innocuous piece of hardware that is basically an air valve and really much less complicated than carburetors I have had on old musclecars where both fuel and air were handled by the carb? With a fuel injection car, the throttle body really just amounts to a hunk of metal with a butterfly to let air in and I do not see much that can go wrong with that. I suspect the so-called "throttle body" problem has more to do with the various sensors on the throttle body that let the computer know the position of the butterfly--no?

Doug

Old 11-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The Jaguar TB is a little more complicated than that as it is a fly-by-wire setup. The throttle pedal moves a sensor that reports position to the ECM. The ECM measures position and determines the rate of change of the throttle and then activates a stepper motor to respond to the drivers pedal action.

Ever notice that there is not a cruise control unit on the '99 up cars?

Old 11-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I knew it was a drive-by-wire so it really comes down to all of the sensors, solenoids, and other electronic bric-a-brat that goes between the foot on the pedal and the action on the throttle body. Call me a fuddy-duddy but I really preferred the old fashioned cable to move the butterfly.

Doug

Old 11-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like you Jarle,have had no problems with my throttle body, but after reading & learning about the recall expiring @ the end of the year, I too had mine looked at by the Jaguar dealer in Cary NC & what they did was reprogram the ECM with n/c which I thought was great being my car is a 1st yr production "1997" with 74000 miles and they also washed & vacumed with no charge pretty good being I didn't even buy the car there !
Hats off to Leigh Jaguar Cary NC

Old 11-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Go to this webpage http://www.xclusively-jaguar.co.uk/xj04_fandi.html#1 See if this information helps you.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Location: Capitola, Calif - beach town - sunny side of Monterey Bay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jagnor - I have a '98 XK8 with 55,000 miles. No throttle body problems but when I heard about the tsb still valid until December, I called the dealer in Monterey and had a new one installed at no cost. The motivation was the independent shop that works on my car stated to replace it is about $2300 if it went bad. Getting it replaced for free now could save you a bundle in the future.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:21 AM

Thanks for all of the replies, seems that it was wise of me to get it done.
Also reading that there are owners experiencing problems with the TB after 10 years convinces me my wallet will be happy too

Cheers, Jarle

Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Wink P0121 and Throttle Body

I'm in the middle of this issue right now. A couple of nights ago my 2000 XK8 with 54,000 miles dropped into reduced power mode. An engine stop/start cycle cleared it but it came back intermittantly over the evening.

Codes revealed a P0121 - throttle body to ECM connection problem. The JTIS says to examine the problem by: Key ON Engine OFF, cycle the accelerator pedal slowly for 40 seconds and see if you can cause the code to trip. (Mine didn't, so it's not a systemic problem, but intermittant - pointing to a connector rather than a component)

The Level 1 repair is to disconnect, clean and grease the electrical connections to the TB. I found 4 on mine - 2 on each side. That repair "solved" the problem for now - I'll sent my test pilot out (my GF) to see if it's really fixed.

The Level 2 repair is that on a "customer complaint" basis they should change out the large multi-pin connector with Tin elements to one with gold ones. There is a recognized incompatability between the 2 metals.

The Level 3 repair is not well specified, but basically says the Throttle Body is not functioning properly. That probably means that one or another of the the internal electronic components is fried.

Thanks for the info about the TB prelacement! I didn't know. I called my dealer in WI to see if I qualify...

Old 11-20-2009, 07:00 AM

Spurlee the Jag shop did the level 2 and also did the resolder of the ABS module. The P121 came back so they changed out the throttle body.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Level 1 worked

Originally Posted by GreenJewel
Spurlee the Jag shop did the level 2 and also did the resolder of the ABS module. The P121 came back so they changed out the throttle body.
That sounds like a good solution. My VIN is our of range for the free TB exchange. maybe it just dosen't need it. Anyway, I sent my girlfriend out and about in the car and the problem seems to be fixed. I took it on a 200 mile trip and it is good.

Seems like a stupid problem overall, expecially for an expensive sutomobile.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:52 AM

Mine came then reset, then returned, reset again, then it returned but never went away. The first trip to the Jag shop and the connector was changed for one with gold plated connector. That fix lasted a week. Then it went into limp home mode. I had it placed on a flatbed tow truck and taken to the Jag shop where the Throttle body was replaced.