Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code scanner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code scanner?

Hi

What kind of fault code reader/ fault diagnostic scanners do you recommend...those on ebay, are they any good?

Old 05-01-2017, 09:37 PM
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLLER8
Hi

What kind of fault code reader/ fault diagnostic scanners do you recommend...those on ebay, are they any good?
There's several threads on here covering scanners, but here's what I use:

1. In the glovebox, keep an
iCarSoft i930 iCarSoft i930
it's quick and easy to use and seems to cover most of the major stuff. It's also pretty cheap (about $120).

2. If you are doing in-depth trouble shooting, and need to capture/save info, run tests etc I use AutoEnginuity with the Jaguar pack. However, it's fairly expensive, and involves using a laptop. It's also slower to use than the i930 - more of a 'garage tool' than on the road trouble shooting.

-Steve

The following users liked this post:
IXLLER8 (05-01-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Don't even think about this twice, whatever better device you end up buying in the future, start by getting a cheap ELM327 off of eBay, and the associated app for your phone (I use Torque Pro on an Android device). It only covers OBDII (so nothing Jaguar specific), but OBDII already has a lot of great information for basic problems. For just a few dollars, it is a complete no-brainer.

For the next step, there are basically 2 options. You can get an OBDII handheld scanner that has been supplemented with the Jaguar/Land Rover codes. Pro is that it is the convenience of a scanner, Con is that it is typically not complete. The other option is to obtain a version of the "factory" software (to run on a laptop) and an associated cable. Pro is that it is just about as complete as whatever a dealer would have (with the exception of flashing new software), Con is that it requires a Windows laptop.

The following 3 users liked this post by fmertz:
IXLLER8 (07-31-2018), Orthodixie (06-04-2017), texasjono (05-31-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I went with the Cen-Tech OBDII/EOBD Scanner from Harbor Freight.

Works on all 1996 and later OBDII compliant US, European and Asian Vehicles.

Retrieves generic P0, P2, P3, and UO mfg specific P1, P3 and U1 codes.

Turns off check engine light and clears codes and resets monitors.

Displays monitor and I/M readiness status (emissions).

Have no clue if it can do the fuel trim graphs or upload that info to your laptop. It does have the computer interface cord.

I am a greenhorn and am just learning about these codes and how to diagnose issues.
Certainly is an educational process and helps you learn about how these complex little engines work.

The following users liked this post:
IXLLER8 (07-31-2018)