Sponsored by:

Considering a 2006 XK8....

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts
Default Considering a 2006 XK8....

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at a 2006 XK8 convertible with 22,500 miles. It was a Florida car, probably a lease, and probably purchased at auction by the Lincoln dealership here that is selling it. I'll find out from Jaguar Corporate on Monday. I have the service history for the car at our local Jaguar dealership dating back to September of this year. Normal issues that we have learned to expect from Jaguar including replacement of the coolant expansion tank, window regulator adjustment, emergency brake adjustment, some trim pieces replaced, and an ECM recall performed. No deal-killers there. What I don't have is the service history of the car prior to September 2011. I'll get that from Jaguar Corporate on Monday. It has apparently had two prior owners....

We drove it this morning. The steering seems to have a slight "wobble" at speeds of 40 mph or so, perhaps a tire-balance issue since new tires (Toyo Proxes T1R, 245/40ZR19 in front and 255/40ZR19 in rear) were installed by the selling dealership prior to listing the car for sale. It also is missing it's convertible top tonneau cover, which I'm told snaps down over the convertible top when it is in the down position to protect it and hold it securely in place to keep it from rattling and to minimize vibration wear-and-tear on the convertible top and frame....

So what should I look for in terms of potential problems and issues for the 2006 XK8 convertible? We have a 2005 S-Type 3.0 that we love. Our S-Type has been a great car since we've owned it over the past three years, but I don't know the XK8 other than to say I've always admired their gorgeous lines and my wife thinks it is beautiful. It would be her car, not mine. I'm 6-feet-7 and therefore way too tall to drive it for more than 50 miles or so....

Thanks for any advice you XK8 owners can provide. Based upon what you say, I may be willing to make a low-ball offer for this car on Monday afternoon. The selling dealership has had it for a couple of months now and may be motivated to work with me....

Here's the VIN number: SAJDA42C662A47645

Old 11-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Go here: TOPIx - TOPIx and put in your vin.

Mark

The following users liked this post:
mcbeefsteak (11-19-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

I went to TOPIx, but from reading the disclaimers it appears that only automotive repair shops can register and use this website. And those that choose to do so must pay a fee. I'm just looking for guidance on the pros and cons, maintenance-wise, of the 2006 XK8 convertible....

If I've missed something here, please elaborate....

Old 11-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Anyone can register and see some info for free. To see it all you have to pay but you can pay for one day of access for like $8 or $10. You should be able to see what service the car has had, if there are any recalls, etc.

Mark

Last edited by mjlaris; 11-13-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Hey Guys,

I'm looking at a 2006 XK8 convertible with 22,500 miles. It was a Florida car, probably a lease, and probably purchased at auction by the Lincoln dealership here that is selling it. I'll find out from Jaguar Corporate on Monday. I have the service history for the car at our local Jaguar dealership dating back to September of this year. Normal issues that we have learned to expect from Jaguar including replacement of the coolant expansion tank, window regulator adjustment, emergency brake adjustment, some trim pieces replaced, and an ECM recall performed. No deal-killers there. What I don't have is the service history of the car prior to September 2011. I'll get that from Jaguar Corporate on Monday. It has apparently had two prior owners....

We drove it this morning. The steering seems to have a slight "wobble" at speeds of 40 mph or so, perhaps a tire-balance issue since new tires (Toyo Proxes T1R, 245/40ZR19 in front and 255/40ZR19 in rear) were installed by the selling dealership prior to listing the car for sale. It also is missing it's convertible top tonneau cover, which I'm told snaps down over the convertible top when it is in the down position to protect it and hold it securely in place to keep it from rattling and to minimize vibration wear-and-tear on the convertible top and frame....

So what should I look for in terms of potential problems and issues for the 2006 XK8 convertible? We have a 2005 S-Type 3.0 that we love. Our S-Type has been a great car since we've owned it over the past three years, but I don't know the XK8 other than to say I've always admired their gorgeous lines and my wife thinks it is beautiful. It would be her car, not mine. I'm 6-feet-7 and therefore way too tall to drive it for more than 50 miles or so....

Thanks for any advice you XK8 owners can provide. Based upon what you say, I may be willing to make a low-ball offer for this car on Monday afternoon. The selling dealership has had it for a couple of months now and may be motivated to work with me....

Here's the VIN number: SAJDA42C662A47645
A 2006 should be a pretty good bet...most of the issues had been resolved by this time. Regarding the steering wobble, these cars really need a Hunter roadforce balance before you conclude there is a problem. These wide, low profile tire are also prone to denting in the inside of the rims from potholes...they should be carelfully checked.

This ebay seller make superior replacement tonneau covers at around $250: XK8 Jaguar Boot / Boot Top Cover for convertible NEW | eBay. A Jaguar OEM cover is $1200 new...so you might consider that in your negotiations.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
jamjax (01-31-2012), Jon89 (11-12-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, WhiteXKR. That is exactly the kind of information I am chasing....

Can you confirm that a convertible top tonneau cover should have been included when the car was new? The Lincoln dealership has no idea, but I saw metal snaps that look like they are for snapping the tonneau cover in place once the top is fully lowered....

Any other advice, both pro and con, would be appreciated from you XK8 owners out there....

Old 11-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

There may not be a problem with the wheels/tires; if the car has been sitting for any length of time it tends to put flat spots in the tires which can take several miles to wear out. Mine get worse when it's colder, and take longer to round out. I typically get a noticable vibration around 35mph and by 65mph I can watch my hand shake on the steering wheel. After 2-5 miles, depending on the temperature, it completely goes away.

The following 2 users liked this post by OhioXK:
Jon89 (11-13-2011), Minnievirginny (12-14-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, WhiteXKR. That is exactly the kind of information I am chasing....

Can you confirm that a convertible top tonneau cover should have been included when the car was new? The Lincoln dealership has no idea, but I saw metal snaps that look like they are for snapping the tonneau cover in place once the top is fully lowered....

Any other advice, both pro and con, would be appreciated from you XK8 owners out there....

Yes, absolutely, the soft vinyl cover is standard. OhioXK makes a valid point about flat-spotting.

Jon89 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a 2006 that I bought with 48K miles and I've put nearly 5K trouble-free miles on it so far. The top cover snaps onto the two studs and tucks in behind the seats and around the edges of the body; you put it on with the boot (trunk) lid open and the lid helps hold it down. Compared to the old British cars (like my Midget) it is very easy to install and remove. I don't think driving with the hood (top) down and no cover is a good idea as the headliner will blow around a good bit. The only caveat with these cars is the hydraulic hose issue (lots of posts on this forum) but I'm taking the attitude that if they start leaking, I will bite the bullet and fix them. Meanwhile, I always raise and lower the top with the door key and the engine off, to lower the pump pressure. You might as well do it that way as you need to be outside the car to attach or remove the cover.

Jon89 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

The only real issue I can think of that remains in the 05/06's is the convertible top hose is still prone to the green shower of death.

Jon89 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks to all of you for continuing to educate me on the issues to watch out for regarding the 2006 XK8 convertible. I will take all of this information into consideration as I do my due diligence before deciding whether to make a low-ball offer tomorrow or Tuesday. I still need to talk with Jaguar Corporate tomorrow to obtain the rest of the service history on this car....

In the meantime, I'm still all ears for whatever you experienced XK8 owners have to say....

Old 11-13-2011, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

If you want some additional ammunition for negotiating, take a close look at the condition on the interior A-pillars, header over the windshield and the headliner. They all have a foam backing that for some reason deteriorates faster than typical on these cars, and develops a loose, limp look and feel. Replacement or restoration professionally of all three of these is probably worth $1500-$2000. Also look for small tears and wear spots in the convertible top on the outside.

Also check the memory features on the seat and steering wheel....the potentiometers that feedback the position often fail early, and the seat modules are prone to failure from abrasion on the circuit board tracks.

You can also bring along an OBDII reader and see if there are any stored codes that need to be addressed.

To check the climate system press AUTO and RECIRCULATE together while turning on the ignition, then release and press AUTO again. The display will either display '00' for no faulits or cycle through a series of numbers which indicate fault codes. If there are any fault codes, have them addressed.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 11-13-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Jon89 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Fantastic advice, WhiteXKR....

Keep it coming, guys. I'm building my case as you offer more and more suggestions....

Old 11-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Jon: The '05 and '06 XK's were some of the most dependable cars Jag ever made. At that period they were ranked very highly by JD powers . Maybe #2 overall.

Jon89 (11-14-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Update:

The Lincoln dealership selling this car informed me this morning that they will NOT be replacing the missing tonneau cover. I'll certainly use that as a bargaining chip against them if we decide to make an offer....

In the meantime, are these covers available in the aftermarket? Our local Jaguar dealership parts department just quoted me $1,170 for the official Jag cover. After I picked myself up off the floor, I said thanks but I'll keep looking around....

Old 11-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Update:

In the meantime, are these covers available in the aftermarket? Our local Jaguar dealership parts department just quoted me $1,170 for the official Jag cover. After I picked myself up off the floor, I said thanks but I'll keep looking around....

Yes, please go back and see my post #5 above.

Jon89 (11-14-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks White XKR. I missed it the first time. That product is a real wallet-saver....

Old 11-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

Update:

The Lincoln dealership sales team is stonewalling me. Even though the car is missing its $1,200 tonneau cover and a few other various and sundry parts, they are standing firm on their list price of $27,895 even when I calmly point out the missing parts and various minor flaws. The car has been sitting on their lot since late September, and as winter approaches here in North Carolina, it will become more and more difficult to sell. I think I'll go into stealth mode and watch their newspaper ads and website for awhile to see if the price goes down....

What is truly puzzling is the fact that they have made no effort to clean up this car to get it ready to sell. It is dirty inside and out, fallen leaves have accumulated all along and under the windshield cowl as well as all around the trunk seals, while the door jambs and trunk seals are absolutely filthy with grime and debris. I've been purchasing vehicles since the mid-1970s, and I've never seen an upscale car like this presented for sale in such unappealing cosmetic condition. Yet the dealership continues to believe they'll get twenty-eight grand for it. They indeed may, but it won't be from us....

I was told on Saturday that two other customers had appointments to see the car. This morning, I was told that two more customers would be stopping by today to see it. I don't believe a word of it....

Many thanks to all of you who have taken the time and effort to contribute to this thread. Please continue to do so if you have more valuable advice for me. I'll continue to watch this thread, and if I decide that I'm done with this dealership in an effort to purchase this car, I'll finish up this thread by letting you know that....

Last edited by Jon89; 11-14-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Update:

The Lincoln dealership sales team is stonewalling me. Even though the car is missing its $1,200 tonneau cover and a few other various and sundry parts, they are standing firm on their list price of $27,895 even when I calmly point out the missing parts and various minor flaws. The car has been sitting on their lot since late September, and as winter approaches here in North Carolina, it will become more and more difficult to sell. I think I'll go into stealth mode and watch their newspaper ads and website for awhile to see if the price goes down....

What is truly puzzling is the fact that they have made no effort to clean up this car to get it ready to sell. It is dirty inside and out, fallen leaves have accumulated all along and under the windshield cowl as well as all around the trunk seals, while the door jambs and trunk seals are absolutely filthy with grime and debris. I've been purchasing vehicles since the mid-1970s, and I've never seen an upscale car like this presented for sale in such unappealing cosmetic condition. Yet the dealership continues to believe they'll get twenty-eight grand for it. They indeed may, but it won't be from us....

I was told on Saturday that two other customers had appointments to see the car. This morning, I was told that two more customers would be stopping by today to see it. I don't believe a word of it....

Many thanks to all of you who have taken the time and effort to contribute to this thread. Please continue to do so if you have more valuable advice for me. I'll continue to watch this thread, and if I decide that I'm done with this dealership in an effort to purchase this car, I'll finish up this thread by letting you know that....
Better for you. If you can see "the hidden truth" under the dirt, others may not and can be discouraged to make any offer. I suggest you just now wait and see what happens in the next 30-45 days. Be sure to let your phone # at the dealer and kindly let them know that if they are willing to reconsider you are willing to hear back from them. Only time will tell, if it is for you, it is, if not, there are plenty of options out there. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Update:

We've ruled out the above 2006 XK8 convertible for a number of reasons. But I'm now researching two other 2006 XK8 convertibles here in North Carolina. I have a few more questions for you experienced XK owners:

1. How do you put the car into Engineering Test Mode? I can do that with my 2005 S-Type, so I assume the 2006 XK8 has the same capability....

2. Proper tires for the 19-inch Atlas wheels (245/40ZR19 in the front, 255/40ZR19 in the rear) are very costly, and it appears that if you get more than 25,000 miles out of a set, you're fortunate. I do not want summer tires. I prefer all-season tires since they should last longer and handle our moderately cold winters much more effectively. The car will never be driven in the snow and ice, but it will be driven in temperatures that can sometimes fall below 15 degrees. What brands and models of tires can you recommend for longevity on the highway? My wife will be the primary driver. She is not a racer, she is a highway cruiser. She's probably never driven faster than 80 mph in her life....

3. What are the best products for protecting the convertible top and extending its lifespan? It has been nearly 20 years since we owned a convertible, and I'm sure the product line has changed dramatically....

Thanks for any information regarding these topics that you can provide....

Quick Reply: Considering a 2006 XK8....