Sponsored by:

Convertable Top Hose

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts
Default Convertable Top Hose

I have given the hydraulic hose line for the roof latch a great deal of thought over the past several months only because it keeps coming up on many of the Jaguar forums. I had to replace my hose and posted a detailed instruction on how to do it on my webpage. When I decided to do the job myself I found no instructions were available so I asked a lot of questions with the intent to eliminate any surprises. A comment here and a suggestion there I put it all together and I must say it went well. A lot longer than I expected but the first time is often like that way. Now I receive e-mails asking many other related questions that I am unable to answer and wish I could. A most recent posting on the forum has prompted me to see what I can do to make the hose replacement a lot easier and less intrusive and less expensive. In order to do this I will need a lot of technical information, input and several old parts. I did not save my hose and connector from my roof latch. I wish I had!

I have had many years of experience with tools and have worked on many sophisticated systems and would like to give this a shot. My expertise is in electrical and mechanical not in hydraulics but would like to try. This is only doable if I can get a few old hose and/or hose connections at the point of failure (not the entire hose). Or if you have the hose or the latch replaced get the old parts. I would also like to see the new short hose setup. And in the case of failure on the short hose where and what failed? Photos will work if is available.

So with that being said let me know by providing me with information you already have. I will go to Jaguar and see what I can find. By the way dumpster diving is not beyond me to get what I need.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts
Default RE: Convertable Top Hose

Bravo! It seems like this is one of those problems that should have a more simple fix than ripping out half the interior of the car to replace a few dollar hose. At the very least there should be a way of replacing just a portion of hose since it seems like the problem is more often than not the hose connection at the latch.

One drastic option would be to cut the hose at the latch and cap it off and just work the latch manually.

Doug

Old 12-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

Gus,

Thank you for your effort! That's what makes these forums work.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

The Jag OEM supplierof the pumps and lines is a Dutch firm called Power-Packer NL. The working line pressure is approx 1700 psi.They confirm high temps are a problem. They also provide some interesing observations about twist tension near the coupling. Finally, they suggestto insulate the hose, probably from chaffing as well as thermal absorption.

Old hose material PA6
New material PA11/12
System pressure 110 +20 bar max.
Min bust pressure hoses ca. 600 bar.

I will send you the complete email thread via your email add.

Good Luck. Gordo

Old 12-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Well you can thank Doug (SeismicGuy) for starting the fire. He is right we have talked it to death and it is still a problem. What puzzles me is that Jaguar has not found a fix because this is a big problem. All they did was make a Band-Aid that seems to leak again!

Well, I need a few old parts to look at and evaluate to identify the problem. Anyone who has the old parts or has one that is going to be repaired/replaced, get the parts and let me know. I only need a few to evaluate to identify the failure. You can go to my webpage and select my contact me link and send me a note. I will respond by e-mail or phone and we can go from there. I do need your help to do this right.

Gorto,

Thanks for the information. I will use whatever I can get my hands on. Did you have direct communications with the Dutch firm? If so do you have the e-mail addresses?

Old 12-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

I sent you an email of thecomplete email thread w/ Power-Packer, incl names of contacts and their email addresses. gordo

Old 01-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I recently posted my results of the Hydraulic Roof Hose failures. You can find it on my page www.jagrepair.com I have not completed it but this will bring you up to date with my findings. I will continue adding information as I get it. I hope this helps!
Gus

Last edited by Gus; 06-20-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Gus, your efforts are fully appreciated. However I have to say this whole issue is laughable. Typical aircraft have a plethora of hydraulic devices and I cannot imagine that the environmental stresses for the Jaguar convertible system are anywhere near those encountered by in an aircraft: extreme vibration, extreme temperature gradients, extreme change in external pressure, etc.

So come on Jaguar, can't you make a stinkin hose that won't rupture??

Doug

Old 08-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi JD,

When you say "side", do you mean in the area around the left end of the dash? Left kickpanel area, just below the dash by chance? Thanks, and enjoy your new ride!

Old 08-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Maybe a splice kit, HJA8258AB?

Old 08-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Yep, that was the guess...two of the ten I sold were reported to be inadequate by the owners/ installers, and I stopped selling them. Never put a pair on myself, nor will I.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya know I was looking at this and i am of the impression that a couple of AN fittings and some braided stainless lines would eliminate the problem for 20 or 30 bucks.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

There have been a number of treasure hunts for the parts necessary to make this repair, all without complete success. Jaguar appears to have installed some proprietary fittings and hose that aren't otherwise available.

I always thought that a formed stainless solid line from the latch to the just down the 'A' pillar would address the issue.

I installed the splice kit without difficulty and it did not leak for several months until the car died at an intersection.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I am not saying that one could not be made nor am I saying a solid line would not hold up. What I will say is that every effort was made to make a short hose kit for the repair. I can say that the short kit from Jaguar was discontinued. Makes you wonder why. I can tell you why just see my page.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
I am not saying that one could not be made nor am I saying a solid line would not hold up. What I will say is that every effort was made to make a short hose kit for the repair. I can say that the short kit from Jaguar was discontinued. Makes you wonder why. I can tell you why just see my page.
When iN doubt I go to your page first. In fact looking at your pics gave me the idea.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Good! Let me know if I can help. I can say I worked on this for a little over a year and have a lot of information. I am not the expert but have a lot of experts to refer to.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:09 PM

I have had success in the past welding a hard line onto a propriety fitting and using a standard AN fitting.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

The problem is finding a good splice fitting that is going to work on the old hose that you can connect your solid line to. Please keep in mind you are dealing with 1600psi. FYI - Been there done that!

Old 02-11-2010, 06:24 PM

I couldn't tell from your pictures, but there is no break in the hose from the pump through the interior up over the a pillar to the latch correct?

So the issue is finding a fitting to add into that (rubber?) hose that will hold massive pressure (IE: 1600psi) Correct?

Quick Reply: Convertable Top Hose