XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant

Hello all ! I am a newbie who recently purchased a 2003 XKR. I am completely loving the car, and it is in fantastic shape. My question appears to be a common one:

I have a constant "engine coolant low" warning/light on. The coolant level (orange) is full to the bottom of the filler neck per the manual & no visible leaks on tank or engine area. The temp gage stays pegged right in the middle all the time. I drive it for a week and it does not appear to go down. I tried playing with the float and it is at the top and does not appear to be sticking.

I understand this is a fairly common problem, but in searching thru the threads I did not see anything re how the sensor/system actually works. It appears to be a magnet in the float which trips a switch on the rod type level sensor outside of the tank. I tried replacing the outside sensor but the problem is still there. So I guess what I really want to know is -
1) Is my understanding of how this works correct ? Is the sensor a simple on/off (does not seem to be the case with my problem) or does it measure resistance or some other property which goes to the engine computer etc. If so does anyone know what the proper readings should be and how/why they may be off ?
2) After replaceing the sensor, does the system need to be "reset" in some way ?

Sorry for maybe beating a dead horse but before I spend $200 for a new tank the engineer in me wants to know what the real problem is. I'll probably just do that anyway (anyone know the best/cheapest place to order one from ?)

Regards,

Vinnie

Old 08-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Fjk
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You are correct, there is a normally open reed switch inserted in the center column. When it feels the magnetic field from the magnet, it closes. This will supply ground to the appropriate pin (FC26-23) at the instrument cluster, turning on the indicator.

Disconnect the sensor and see if indicator is on.
If it stays on, the wire to the panel is grounded somewhere. Orange w/ green
If it is out, check the reed switch.

With the switch disconnected, check it with an ohmmeter.
It should be "open" with absence of magnetic field.