Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Cooling Issues

Hi Guys,
Have recently, (last 2 weeks), been experiencing progressively increased operating temps in my 98 vert (non SC'd). Mileage around 145,000 (daily driver)

I have Steve's Real Gauge kit installed for over a year, and outside of metal tensioners, the best upgrade I've done.

Usual temps for the car are around 205 with ambient of 70-90 degrees, confirmed with code reader.
To date, I have replaced radiator approximately 1 year ago, thanks to a kindly elderly gentlemen that backed into me with his SUV. I have replaced ALL of the cooling hoses within the past year, and the H20 pump with metal impellers approximately 3 months ago along with thermostat. Also AC condenser replaced due to leaking refrigerant approximately 4 months ago.

Troubleshooting thus far:
Fans appear to be functioning as normal. Low fan coming on approx. at 205, with high fans coming on at approx 217.
Additionally, high fans come on with automatically with AC.
Fans have recently continued to run after shut down until approx. 212 temp is reached. This would occasionally happen in the summer when ambient reached was 95-100+.

Last night while on the way home, temp guage went to red, and warning buzzer went off just as I arrived home (thanks again Steve). Car has never remotely shown to be running this hot, especially with ambient last night at 60.

Just prior to shut down, again no coolant leaks or smell, both fans on high, and upper radiator hose hot, (not burn my hands hot but close), with lower radiator hose much cooler.

Needless to say I am perplexed on possible cause, and know full well of the significance of an over heated engine.

I'm open to any thoughts by the best Jag brain trust around.
Would it be possible that the temp sensor could be the culprit and giving inaccurate readings as the engine just does not seem to exhibit signs of over heating in my humble, and getting more so that way, opinion.
Thanks guys,
Dave

Old 11-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Same symptoms that my car had with a bad Thermostat.

The following users liked this post:
platinummaker (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 12:13 PM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by platinummaker
Hi Guys,
Have recently, (last 2 weeks), been experiencing progressively increased operating temps in my 98 vert (non SC'd). Mileage around 145,000 (daily driver)

I have Steve's Real Gauge kit installed for over a year, and outside of metal tensioners, the best upgrade I've done.

Usual temps for the car are around 205 with ambient of 70-90 degrees, confirmed with code reader.
To date, I have replaced radiator approximately 1 year ago, thanks to a kindly elderly gentlemen that backed into me with his SUV. I have replaced ALL of the cooling hoses within the past year, and the H20 pump with metal impellers approximately 3 months ago along with thermostat. Also AC condenser replaced due to leaking refrigerant approximately 4 months ago.

Troubleshooting thus far:
Fans appear to be functioning as normal. Low fan coming on approx. at 205, with high fans coming on at approx 217.
Additionally, high fans come on with automatically with AC.
Fans have recently continued to run after shut down until approx. 212 temp is reached. This would occasionally happen in the summer when ambient reached was 95-100+.

Last night while on the way home, temp guage went to red, and warning buzzer went off just as I arrived home (thanks again Steve). Car has never remotely shown to be running this hot, especially with ambient last night at 60.

Just prior to shut down, again no coolant leaks or smell, both fans on high, and upper radiator hose hot, (not burn my hands hot but close), with lower radiator hose much cooler.

Needless to say I am perplexed on possible cause, and know full well of the significance of an over heated engine.

I'm open to any thoughts by the best Jag brain trust around.
Would it be possible that the temp sensor could be the culprit and giving inaccurate readings as the engine just does not seem to exhibit signs of over heating in my humble, and getting more so that way, opinion.
Thanks guys,
Dave
Is the stat in the right way up. Vent hole at the top. Stops an air lock issue

The following users liked this post:
platinummaker (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 06:57 PM

Guys,
Thanks for the responses. Culprit turned out to be the thermostat. Probably one of the cheapest and easiest things I've ever done to the Jag.
Normal is so good!
Thanks again

Old 11-21-2015, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Was it faulty or just installed incorrectly?

Old 11-21-2015, 09:49 AM

Faulty