XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 12:17 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Cooling system

Summer is coming and I like to keep up on maintenance so here is a Cooling system question.
I pulled the coolant filler cap, and my coolant is a yellowish brown. Is that the normal color for the jag specific coolant?. In the motorcycle world, I always used a type of coolant called water wetter. It helped keep my bike at least 10-20° cooler while running hard on the track. I ran that during the summer, and changed it back in the fall, back to regular coolant. Would you guys recommend that for the xkr?
if not what would you guys recommend?

Last edited by BlooDSMeaR; 05-17-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

What does your owners manual specify for your particular model year? The 4.2 engines run the M97B44-D spec coolant, usually colored orange. DexCool meets those specs and I have been running it in both of our Jaguars with zero issues since we acquired them....

Old 05-17-2017, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

That coolant has a weird sheen when looked at from above, while in the tank. I recommend you wick some of it on a paper towel to confirm the color. Should be plain orange. For the 4.2, it should be DEX-COOL.

I have used Water Wetter back in the (track) days. Not sure with this car. To me, it boils down to tested combinations. Jaguar/Ford settled on DEX-COOL, and spec'ed all the seals, etc. for it. I am staying with what Jaguar says. Adding anything to it makes you take a chance, I suppose. Also, the design calls for a minimum temp controlled by the thermostat, and a max temp controlled by the fans. Not sure where Water Wetter fits in all of this. Just my thoughts.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

mine looked a similar colour but when drained into a pot it was orange