XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe or Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile Coupe or Cabriolet

This was my internal dilemma for quite some time.
So I thought that now I've had both I would throw my thoughts out in thehope they help someone else.

I started with a 1998 XK8 Coupe and I've just bought a 1998 XKR Convertible,both are the 4L and both are totally standard cars.
So I hear you say, what's the difference, well

I bang my head on the sun visor quite often when climbing into the car, thevisor position is much lower on the convertible due to the screen top layout.

The convertible feels very small and a little claustrophobic with the roofup, the headliner is far darker and the car is no where near as light and airy.

The all around visibility in the coupe is far better.

The road noise and sound insulation is far better in the coupe, there isquite a noticeable increase in the noise levels inside the car.

The interior on the convertible shakes and vibrates, nothing like otherconvertibles I've had, but it is noticeable, there is a definite shake throughthe steering and on the dash that isn't present in the coupe.

I've not driven the convertible hard enough yet to see if there is any perceivableflex to the car when being a hooligan.

The convertible appears to have a bigger boot, but that may just be me.
The convertible has (in my mind) better body lines, and looks squatter andmore agressive.

So which do I recommend, well all around performance and refinement I thinkthe coupe is the better car by far, and for the British weather, I would say anormal person would be best off in a coupe, but I drove home today in the coldcold rain with all the heaters on and the roof down, smiling at all the peoplepointing as they passed me. So I think for me it's the convertible on smilefactor alone.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

What - people passed YOU? It should be the other way around. Good thoughts though.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Considering the amount of cars you possess: You will drive your XKR Convertible at times when weather permits roof down, so the visibility and head room will obviously be moot points

Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have noticed the same problems. I came to the same conclusion. The vert just puts a smile on my face.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I also and still do own both and have upset UK forum members with my thoughts..... But of course they are just my opinions so nobody should take offence... Personal I think Blue has his cars around the wrong way. I cant see the point of an XKR convertible, the skuttle shake is horrendous and with all that power seems pointless unless on a straight smooth road, I live out in the sticks with bad undulating, uneven roads so for me the ride in my XK8 convertible is like riding a jelly/jello with wheels on!
However my XKR coupe is superb in most environments, I love it, even if I have now pulled it apart to do some serious mechanical and body mods......

But by no means do I dislike my rag top, if on those RARE occasions we get a sunny day it is brilliant to drop the top and go for a cruise and I love it too but if I am felling like a bit of a hooligan coupe every time

Old 04-13-2013, 02:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with XKRacer, for me the R would be better in the coupe. Sadly I can't keep both of mine so the coupe has to go. If the novelty factor of the drop top wears off over the next few months I might swap it out for a 4.2R coupe, but we'll have to see how we get on.

And by no means am I aimed at upsetting anyone, these are just my opinions.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:40 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

No shake in mine at all. Smooth runner. Yes the cockpit is a bit smaller but I personally like the feeling.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I don't regret going for the coupé, but there is the odd occasion when I just wish I could take the roof off. I am currently looking at getting a V8 Vantage and although the roadster is super rigid, I still think the drawbacks outweigh the advantages of the coupé.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Very odd that folk think the convertible shakes. I agree noticeable wind noise but no shake or noticeable chassis wind up.
I used to have an SAH converted 2.0 Vitesse - you could tell how in-tune it was by the width of the gap that appeared between the scuttle and the bonnet on acceleration!

Old 04-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Maybe it's a matter of perspective... those that had convertibles from the olden days might be more forgiving to a little scuttle shake.

I submit as and an XK convertible would be more rigid than say, a 70 Bonneville, which came factory equipped with its own zip code.

Attached Thumbnails Coupe or Cabriolet-6676659093_aeefbab040_z.jpg  
Old 04-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

I suspect that the "shake" in an individual car may also have much to do with how many miles it has and how it has been driven.

The PO of my car babied it, and I don't drive it very hard either. The only time that I have noticed any sort of "shake" is in my windshield when going over some rough roads with my front windows down. When I put the windows up, it goes away.

Now, I don't doubt for a moment that the coupe is more rigid than the vert, and that someone who drives both might notice the difference between the two, but, being that I don't drive my vert like an adolescent and subject it to rough treatment, the "shake" is not a bother to me at all.

No doubt that if you buy one of these cars to drive it hard and fast and to go around racing other people on the highway, you should buy an XKR Coupe.

That is, however, not everyone's cup of tea.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I drive my car aggressively, fastest I've gone is 145-ish... I have not experienced abnormal steering wheel shake or unexpected vibrations. Having the convertible top is amazing. I live in CA so during the spring/summer/fall months I regularly have the top down and absolutely love it.