XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead radio, windshield header rattle

Old 04-30-2017, 04:03 PM
Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Dead radio, windshield header rattle

Hey all;
Did two things today. Replaced surge suppressor. Radio developed ignition static a few months ago and then stopped working. Power and lights on, no sound. Finally got around to changing suppressor. Four different fasteners for fender liner. Are they kidding? Radio still dead. Could the head unit have just crapped? Next thing was to fix a rattling noise. I thought from the dash but tracked it to the windshield header with top down. I took it apart. I just found a couple of slightly loose screws. I put extra tape between the hydraulic line manifold and the header bracket. Maybe manifold was touching bracket. Put back together. Amazing, sound gone. Also, last month I replaced front right wheel bearing and ball joints. I took everything apart myself. I have access to a press. I bought new abs rotor but reused old one. I just used the 2 inch 12 point socket. Soaked hub and ball joints with penetrating oil first.

Last edited by GGG; 05-01-2017 at 02:38 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Fasteners? No; plenty of variety to spice your life. Dead radio? Yes, ignoring the electrical "noise" can be a killer. Check fuses or strip and test. Header rattle, hub bearings and ball joints? well done.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 04-30-2017, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by rumm5
Hey all;
Did two things today. Replaced surge suppressor. Radio developed ignition static a few months ago and then stopped working. Power and lights on, no sound. Finally got around to changing suppressor. Four different fasteners for fender liner. Are they kidding? Radio still dead. Could the head unit have just crapped? Next thing was to fix a rattling noise. I thought from the dash but tracked it to the windshield header with top down. I took it apart. I just found a couple of slightly loose screws. I put extra tape between the hydraulic line manifold and the header bracket. Maybe manifold was touching bracket. Put back together. Amazing, sound gone. Also, last month I replaced front right wheel bearing and ball joints. I took everything apart myself. I have access to a press. I bought new abs rotor but reused old one. I just used the 2 inch 12 point socket. Soaked hub and ball joints with penetrating oil first.
l had a strange problem with my own radio. If car was started with radio off, subsequently turning it on would turn on (lights display etc.) but no sound. If radio was on (but still no sound) when car was turned off, subsequently turning car on radio worked correctly. Sounds confusing l know.
Pulled white radio connector plug and tweeked female terminals in plug slightly to increase tension on male radio pins fixed it. I did have a slight electrical noise issue prior to the fix which also disappeared with the fix.
The head unit obviously powers different internal functions via separate power wires.
You could maybe try it.

Last edited by baxtor; 04-30-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:20 PM
Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Default update

Hi all
I bought a used amp, also harmon kardon from a 98, to eliminate that. radio still makes no sound. Looks like it must be the head unit. Has anyone had an apparently functioning radio with no sound?

Old 01-20-2018, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

There are 3 fuses :

F9 / 10 amp passenger side fuse box

F12 / 5 amp pass

F18 / 30 amp trunk fuse box

Editing

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 01-20-2018 at 01:43 PM.