XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do new members come and go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 99 xk8 coupe

i agree with midlife,i have retired,and always driven old chryslers,many convertable 300,s.after a messy divorce 4 years ago i needed a life change,and for me driving anything but a chrysler product is big change.so i wanted somthing different,every one and his brother has a corvette,and vipers abound,and i can"t do the jap thing..i found an xj6 and loved it,so i could see myself in an xk8.took 18 months to find the right one[black on black coupe].to my knowledge i have the only one in this county,and i like it that way. iv"e done a lot of work on it myself,as i can"t aford dealer price repairs.i plan to keep comming back to this site,and a"m thankful to all of you who have helped with your input..steven ***

Old 06-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenJewel
Yes they come back, when they have another problem!
+1 to GreenJewel... I have to admit I only frequent the forums when my XKR is having issues. Guess why I'm here now :-)

These forums are invaluable and I can't thank the regulars and moderators enough for all the information in here. I wish I could contribute more but unfortunately I'm not really an authority on the subject.

Other topics/forums where I feel my experience is valid I'm an active participant.

I also think it's good form to follow up any posted question with the eventual solution even if you're not a regular poster. This just helps other quasi lurker/posters like myself when a similar issue is found.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaleD
In some defense (tho I don't really think any is necessary!), I read all the posts almost every day, learn a lot, post very few "useful" comments, and wouldn't leave unless i'm ejected. I'm not a DIY person, but the knowledge and understanding of the various issues has helped me a lot in making good decisions about routine service, tech requests, etc. It is not about the number of participants, but the quality of their interest and assistance, that I value. I too watch a couple of the other forums, but I always come here first! DaleD
I'll second the above.
George

Old 06-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  19.3 KB

Forum activity - Its NOT always about having technical knowledge ofthe cars / the brand or even the intricate details of how to replace a throttle body or fault diagnosis. Ok, so thats the main reasoning behind the site, but.......
sometimes its just about taking part, about helping to welcome other newbies, joining in on the off topic section threads and the regional sections. You can also post up into the mug shot threads, visit the detailing sections etc and post comments / questions....there's plenty of ways to get involved in the site.
There are people here with 400, 500, 700+ posts doing just that who are a REAL part of the site in every way and feel part of it as they do contribute in some way....so why not dive in and participate?
We don't as a general rule bite, in fact anyone considered to do so is usually jumped on and given a warning as that is not the way we are here.
Just as a side note, new members with very low activity levels who are not active for 3-4 months or more with a post count of 4-5 or less are removed to free the site up for those that wish to use it. To be safe, get to a post count of 10 or more for lifetime membership.....I believe the Rev got there in about 10 minutes flat

Old 06-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't worry about the quantity! Worry about the quality! and the answers here are better than answers you get in a lot of other forums. More insightful, more detailed, and I think more well-thought-out.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by XK8Troll
Don't worry about the quantity! Worry about the quality! .
Meh... I'm more of a quantity kind of guy. I mean, I'd chose quality if I could, but I usually get what's left at the end of the night around last call.

Hang on a sec... are we talking about posts or chicks? I thought this was a thread about chicks.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 AM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

From my experience, this forum has been all about quality and not quantity! If it changes (and I hope it does not), at least I will depart.

Once, early on, I got out of line with my non-technical posts, and one of the MODS, corrected, warned and instructed me on proper posting content and decorum. I really appreciated it, and hope the forum stays "clean". This is the best, and most active, "database" of technical info on theses cars I have found - and we need it. It has already saved me hundreds of $$$, and I don't DIY! DaleD

Old 06-18-2010, 02:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,147 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Hang on a sec... are we talking about posts or chicks? I thought this was a thread about chicks.
Though the title of your thread was indeed we are talking about posting.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well To add to other posts. This forum is fantastic. I am someone who rarely contributes as i do not have the expertise. What I would say is I scan forum at least once a week. If I feel I can be of help I would. Someone normaly beats me to it. A Final point would be. jaguar quoted me £1200 / $1800 for inspection work with no guarentee of cure !. With the help of this forum I solved the problem for about £150 / $225.

Priceless

Steve

Old 06-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,147 Likes on 753 Posts

what do you know Steve, you contributed! lots of good off topic (at least off-'technical' content that anyone can be a part of.

we appreciate the kudos from all the admin/mod staff!

Old 06-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  19.3 KB

As Matt says, thanks to all for the compliments on the site / content and the way its run, much appreciated

Stephen - great to know that we managed to help you save quite a sum of money on your issues.Great to see you posing more too.....always good to jump into the off topic sectiom, regional section and others to join in there. You'd be surprised how many "non technical" members there are with hundreds of posts and extremely well known here too

Dale D - thanks for the comments and nice to know you're still enjoying the site and we've been able to help in some small way

XK8TROLL - nice comments, thanks!

Old 06-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,356 Posts

I dont know about ya'll, I come here for the coffee.....
Really it helps to keep me sharp on stuff that I might not see much anymore, and to try and keep missinformation at bay....plus I like to let people realise that PEOPLE work at dealers, not morons, thieves, or incompetants....well at least not all of em...

Old 06-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Newby here...

I've been lurking for months, and since I just got my XKR yesterday, I figured I'd better start building my post count

Many thanks to all who have contributed- it certainly helped me make a better and more informed buying decision.

-Terry

Old 06-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DrPerlJam
I've been lurking for months, and since I just got my XKR yesterday, I figured I'd better start building my post count

Many thanks to all who have contributed- it certainly helped me make a better and more informed buying decision.

-Terry
Awesome! What did you get? Year, color, etc... Post some pics!

Old 06-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPerlJam

-Terry

Old 06-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of us are out here still Jagless, so could you post pics of yours!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't want you to feel deprived...................so here's something to look at in the meantime!
Brian

Attached Thumbnails Do new members come and go?-p1020104-1-.jpg  
Old 06-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brian2000XKR
I don't want you to feel deprived...................so here's something to look at in the meantime!
Brian
Oh man! That is awesome! Before I joined this site I didn't know anything about Jags, but now I really want one of those XKR coupes. I actually went to look at one yesterday, but it was black on black, and I don't think I could handle that in the hot Carolina summers. I really like the silver, though. I like your smoked lights on the bumper, too. It looks so much better than the orange.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm partial to the Coupes myself, although I like the Convertibles too. With just a few tasteful (in my opinion) mods, these cars really stand out!
Brian

Old 06-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I must say Brian's interior is standing out more than others as well

You can see arts and ultimate craftsmanship been there

Quick Reply: Do new members come and go?