Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Our Cars "Learn"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Do Our Cars "Learn"?

This is a serious question! I've had my XKR for about 6 months now. I know the previous owner was an "easy" driver, and I have been too as I got used to the power, handling, braking, etc., but more recently, I have been driving "harder" - faster, more downshift passing, higher speeds, faster turns, quicker stops, etc. (also, spring is here and the weather is nicer, roads dryer, etc.)

It seems to me that as I have pushed the car more, it has responded more - firmer, better directionality in steering, more secure ride, etc - or is it just my imagination?

As I read all the posts about all the computers onboard - I wonder - is it learning my driving habits, or am I just getting used to it? Thanks, DaleD99

Old 03-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

I believe only the transmission has some learning ability. Oh, the engine has fuel trim and likely some sort of anti-knock learning too, but you won't feel any of that.

Everything else is probably just you and the XKR forming a closer and more communicative relationship. Nothing wrong with that!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

+1, can't argue with that science.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaleD
This is a serious question! I've had my XKR for about 6 months now. I know the previous owner was an "easy" driver, and I have been too as I got used to the power, handling, braking, etc., but more recently, I have been driving "harder" - faster, more downshift passing, higher speeds, faster turns, quicker stops, etc. (also, spring is here and the weather is nicer, roads dryer, etc.)

It seems to me that as I have pushed the car more, it has responded more - firmer, better directionality in steering, more secure ride, etc - or is it just my imagination?

As I read all the posts about all the computers onboard - I wonder - is it learning my driving habits, or am I just getting used to it? Thanks, DaleD99
Haha good question but no it does not learn.

It is just the computer activated performance adjustments that are programmed in the XKR systems. That is a big difference between the XK8 and the XKR. The CATS system on the XKR (Computer Active Technology Suspension) doing what it is supposed to do is what you are describing.

That was the biggest thing we noticed when we were in the process of buying our car and it came down to an XK8 and the XKR, the handling and road feel was significantly different and totally adjusted and changed noticeably (all to the good) when pushed at speed in the corners.

Sounds like your car is running as it should!

Cheers,

Mark

Old 03-26-2010, 12:09 AM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks everyone. Our affair was definitely attraction at first sight, and there was intimacy on the first date, but I called back the next day, and we have been working on a meaningful relationship ever since - glad to know it is normal - whatever that is! DaleD99