XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door window can slide back any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Door window can slide back any ideas?

Hi All,

The window in all other regards is working perfect except it can slide backwards causing it to overlap the rear window slightly. I can give it a light touch and it slides forward and makes a good seal.

Has anyone run into this before?
Something loose or broken that will allow this type of issue, plastic insert missing...?

I have read several posts and didn't find this issue in any, and wanted to have some ideas on what to look for. Seems like it would be something in the rear guide that is out of adjustment or broken.

Thanks for your hints.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Tex, Is the window going slightly cockeyed? IOW as it travels is the vertical line of the rear of the window shifting forward or backward?

If yes, I've been there. There is an adjustment nut and bolt that has gotten lose. To fix this you take the door pannel off. Note the horizontal bar that one of the regulator arms travels in as the window goes up and down. This bar is inside the passenger side of the door about 2/3 of the way up. There is an adjustable nut/ bolt at the rear of it. you use this to adjust one of the window alignment parameters. WHen it loosens it allows the window to move around as it is raised. It is just a matter of ensuring proper position, then tightening the nut.

If I'm right do it before it gets worse. The window motor can break the window if you're not careful (don't ask me how I know .

John

The following users liked this post:
RaceDiagnostics (04-25-2023)
Old 03-09-2017, 04:31 PM

The window is in perfect alignment as it moves up, it is when I open the door and go to close it that I notice it has move toward the rear maybe 1/4 of an inch. That much movement puts it on top of the rear window by just a little too much and then it won't be able to align in the top seal, and I am sure it is putting too much outer pressure on things. I do want to attempt a fix be for I end up shutting the door and crack a window. I will review some more reading on adjust locations and have a swing at fixing. I was more curious if there was any plastic guide parts that are potential failures that I should be prepared for. Being able to notice something missing is harder than noticing something loose.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:17 AM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Here is an excellent link for window adjustment. Worked for me!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ets-dig-37326/

Cheers,

Stu

Old 03-12-2017, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I must have read too fast. Text is talking about the way the window moves when you touch the handle and it moves to protect the rubber seal.

Yesterday I noticed the passenger window seemed to bind the slightest amount when opening. Took a closer look. Just as text described the windows upper rear corner moves back as the window drops the 1/4 inch or so to protect the the seals.

I checked the driver side. Same thing, just no binding. So it looks like it is working properly but some particular adjustable parameter is off a touch where this movements strikes the raised rubber edge of the rear window. We are tasking about fractions of an inch .

I don't have the answer yet, but wanted to clarify the issue andyou response.

Fyi, for anyone reading my first reply I was referring to the adjustment in Stus' photo 1.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:17 AM

Hi Sorry is I confused the issue I have. The window works perfectly in regards to the drop with handle and is aligned squarely in the opening and meets the rear window correctly when closed. I think my issue is with adjustment of the rear guide or (guessing here) some type of plastic missing from inside the guide that the window tracks in. The problems shows up when opening the door and then shutting, the window seems to move toward the rear so when shutting it overlaps too much. My work around is to just touch the top corner the window moves a very small amount and aligns perfectly. I am fairly sure rear guide issue, I just have never taken a window apart to know what is in there, and have not found a good picture of it.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:24 AM

Okay update

I may have found a picture and my possible problem, has anyone had the item break or go missing before?

So like is number 8 some type of plastic that is in the rear guide. If so that is the kind of thing I am suspecting has gone bad in some way.

Last edited by TexMurphy; 03-12-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:39 AM

If this is a common issue I would rather source prior to tearing the door apart. Doesn't look too expensive. GJA1049AC

Old 03-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had same problem with mine. Initially it could be cured by the 'reset procedure' but kept recurring. New battery fixed the problem.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:16 PM

Goosey,
Thanks for offering the opinion but my issue is not with the windows settings. It goes all the way up no problem. I am familiar with how to reset the windows, it was one of the first things I learned as the PO let the battery die and I have had it disconnected doing work several times.

My issue must be guide or adjustment. Still looking for anyone with experience with the plastic guide insert part.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem - good luck!

Old 03-13-2017, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

Have a look at these items on your car and see if they are worn. Neither were on my car (130k miles), but swapping out the entire regulator much improved my window, it was just badly worn.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TexMurphy
Okay update

I may have found a picture and my possible problem, has anyone had the item break or go missing before?

So like is number 8 some type of plastic that is in the rear guide. If so that is the kind of thing I am suspecting has gone bad in some way.

I have had the exact same problem with my 2003 convertible drivers door. The window functions properly from switch but when opening or closing door or if I simply place the palm of my hand on the top portion of the glass the top rear corner of the glass can fall a quarter inch or so rearward allowing it to overlap the black metal strip on the rear quarter window causing an air leak. This can be corrected by pushing the glass back into position and gently closing door but is annoying. I did take door panel off and did check for loose components but no luck. I did not notice part #8....perhaps it was missing? However I did find part #12 was loose in the bottom of the door. not sure where it goes but it may be part of the issue. Does anyone have a photo or diagram of where part #12 belongs?

Old 03-14-2017, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

Parts 11 and 12 are there to stop the glass clattering when you close the door only.

The following users liked this post:
Jag Pilot (03-15-2017)