Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drain paths on convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:09 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default drain paths on convertible top

Good Morning,
Love this forum I don't think I could maintain my lovely Jag without it.
Here we go I have a problem with water intrusion on the passenger side (LHD)
in heavy rain. it is on the forward part of the window where the window starts to go down. it has done this since I got the car. I have worked on the seals and have slowed the leak down a lot. I just recently had a new top installed and that of course did not affect the leak. What I am looking for is a diagram of the drain path for rain water. I have used the search function and either there is not much here or my search terminology is poor.
Any help is highly appreciated.
Rich

Old 05-29-2017, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The drains are at the ends of the cowling in front of the windshield. If you raise the bonnet/hood the drains are in the corners where the fenders/wings meet the windshield area. If it plugs up it would back up into the door area.
Also the doors have drain holes at the bottom and get get closed up.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:25 PM

Thanks Vern,
I just checked the drains at the cowl I poured a cup of water in and it ran out immediately onto the shop floor. I am going to look at the door drains next. I wish I could find a diagram of how the water is supposed to flow down the rain gutters and then goes??? this is about all I am down to not being right on this car. I have rebuilt front and rear suspension, resoldered the ABS module, done the timing chains, replaced the brake light switch, had the seat modules repaired, replaced the mirror switch pack, recovered the seats and console, refinished the steering wheel had the top replaced ect ect ect. Yall know how it is, it takes a while. i've been working on / driving the car for about 2 years and love it more each day. any help to the drain path would sure be appreciated.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:51 PM

My friend Eddy brought his 01 vert down to the shop today and I was able to explore the drain paths. On my car in an effort to repair this leak a couple of years ago, I had done a bunch of work with black rtv/silicone on the seals. I now know I shut all the holes the water is supposed to drain down. DUH! a new header seal is on the way and I am pretty darn confidant that when it is installed I will keep water out of the people spaces.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Take some pictures and post them. It helps for future inquiries.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:39 PM

Will do Vern its time I learn how to edit the pictures to make them useful anyway. I will see what I can do tomorrow.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:26 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Other than the cowl drains how else is water channeled from the convertible top? There must be drains at the rear somewhere and possibly drown the A pillar.

I would appreciate any help with this before I get mold and mildew growth, or rusted floorboards.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:48 PM

Sorry to hear about your surgery. On my car the problem was the back side of the header rail seal was split. I have pictures but they are too large to post 5 mbs per. Water runs inside the seals going down to the bottom of the A pillar and exits at the bottom of the door. Send me a pm and maybe I can either explain via phone con of I may be able to email you the pictures.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:37 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks rt. I think I understand. Once I get the interior sufficiently dry I'll try the hose on the front of the top vs hose in the rear trick to narrow the search.

The good news is that in Florida now that I've got the excess water sucked out it will only take a day or two of sun cooking the car to dry it completely.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by WAFlowers
Other than the cowl drains how else is water channeled from the convertible top? There must be drains at the rear somewhere .
In the rear, behind the rear windows, the top channels water into the space between inner and outer panels. This exits on either side just forward of the rear wheels. I doubt this is your problem, as water from this area wouldn't find an easy path to the front footwells.

The door bottoms have a number of square cut holes, maybe four or five. To insure these are not blocked from the inside, run a screw driver up into the door hollows.