Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver window loose

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 10:43 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Driver window loose

2005 XK8 Conv

Symptom initially was the trailing edge of the window didn't seal properly, causing wind noise. Deconstructed door, adjusted the "mid-rail" nut, but could not get it to line up despite multiple attempts. At this point, realized that the window was loose, especially the front edge. You can grab the glass, and the window is moveable up and down (sort of rotational) - the front especially moves up and down. You can also go in thru the speaker hole, and lift the window up from the bottom. There's at least 1/4" and maybe 1/2" of play in it up and down. The rear is firm, barely moves.

Basically, the front end is loose, and because of this, you can't get the trailing edge right because the front isn't locked down. I think it's also causing the window to go up a bit too much, and it's wearing/tearing up the seals too.

Read about a dozen threads, and have done the following with no joy:
double checked the regulator bolts - they are solid
the mid rail nut is secure
the channels are clear and the white nylon U-clip thing is in place
the anti-rattle bumpers are there
all three of the nylon sliders appear to be fine and in place

It's just loose and I can't figure why. It almost has to be one or more of the nylon sliders that connect to the regulator arms, right? Looking for confirmation that is probably it, of if there is something else I might be missing.

TIA.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:22 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Have you checked the clips in the picture below? I've seen where these crack and fall apart inside the door.

Remove clips from nylon fixings and retain for re-use.