XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

early XK8 purchase advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

As you look through this forum, you'll find tons of info on what to look out for on the early XKs. the plastic timing chain tensioners were an issue that had to be dealt with as were nikisil cylinder liners and issues with the front suspension. In the converts, the hydraulic line for the top has a nasty habit of blowing and spraying fluid into the interior. Having said all that, I purchased a 2001 XK8 coupe in January and use it as a daily driver. I've had a few minor problems like having to replace a leaking power steering hose. Other than that, oil changes are the only things I've had to have done, (about $85 at the dealer but you also get coffee donuts and they wash the car). As for how the XK compares to the other cars you're thinking about...it doesn't. The XK is pretty much in a class by itself. When it comes to looks, the Germans just can't match the Jaguar designers. I think if you drive a couple you'll see what I mean. Try putting one in Sport Mode and then floor it getting onto an interstate. Regarding suspension and exhaust mods, I know there are exhaust systems that give you a throatier sound. I kinda like the stock version. Hope this helps. Oh, I would suggest going for low mileage. Mine had 33K when I got it. Still drives and looks like new.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I got my 1999 coupe with 31K and had to do the following, reman engine covered under warranty. The reman tag on my car was located at the rear of the right head. You might want to look for the tag that way you know if the nickasill problem was addressed. New CPU, glitch, under warranty. Had to add a second ground to tail light assembly. Kept blowing bulbs. I replaced coil packs @ 70K. 8 ea @ 148.00. The dealer advised they tend to act up after 60 to 80K. On my reman it still has the plastic tensioners. The reman has about 35k on it. So i'm saving for the tensioners now.

I put the Mina exhaust on my coupe and it just has a small rumble/grumble. If you order one from JAGXP, be sure to tell them the year of your xk so you get the correct hangers. If you can turn a wrench it is and afternoon install. All you need is a pair of ramps and some hand tools.

Plan on maintaining you cat and you can enjoy the ride.

All cars have issues why not get one the looks good standing still.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by nickco201
What would be your opinions on the purchase of a 2000 or so Jag XK8.....? I would love an XKR but a nice one is around 25K or so while I an get a nice XK8 for around 15 or so. How do they drive ? Reliability ? Any major problems? Also what are the major differences from a 1997 or so to the 2003 range ? The other major cars I am looking at would be a E46 BMW 330CI sport pack, Porsche Box, Merc SLK 320. How does the jag compare ?
Also if I did buy 1 are there upgrades for suspension, loud sport exhaust ( ie Aston Vantage sounding)and ipod connection ?

Thanks

XK is in a totally different class than SLK, 3 series cabrio, and Boxster. There is no comparision. The Mercedes SL and Aston Martin V8 vantage are this car's competition not the above mentioned.