XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An east coast road rallye

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default An east coast road rallye

What do you think??? I mean I would love to do the UK or France,,, But until they build a Chunnel/Tube from the States I'm afraid we're stuck on this side of the pond...

Oh Yeah Sure Fly over and play with Someone Else's Kitty,,, That will go over like a lead balloon with the PBTW... but Honey... its only for a few days... and you know I like yours the best...

So let's do one here... OPEN TO ALL IDEA's... I am on the South End here and figure the middle of the East Coast and available to the Mid-Western States could be the Blue Ridge Parkway,,,

The Blue Ridge Parkway is a National Parkway and All-American Road in the United States, noted for its scenic beauty. It runs for 469 miles (755 km), mostly along the famous Blue Ridge, a major mountain chain that is part of the Appalachian Mountains.

Blue Ridge Parkway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am open to breaking the trip up with a Golf Tourney, Fly Fishing, Hiking,,, What ever you might like to do... MAKE A WEEK OUT OF IT,,,, Spring is always nice and the Fall has the leaves changing colors...

We could organize a real cool one... Whose Game

You only live ONCE...

Old 01-03-2012, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Count me in, but fall would be best for me. Blue Ridge Parkway sounds great. I actually remember reading about this road in a 1987 Car and Driver article and have always wanted to drive it. Here's another interesting link from Sports Car Advisors:

Best Driving Roads, Scenic Highways, Blue Ridge Parkway North Carolina (NC), Driving highways | Sports Car Advisors | Best Driving Roads |

Mark

Last edited by mjlaris; 01-03-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:57 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Wink

Are you trying to "Up Stage" us?

Al

Last edited by Alag; 01-03-2012 at 04:00 AM. Reason: to sign
Old 01-03-2012, 04:08 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Just googled Blue Ridge Parkway......
"Maximum speed limit 45mph, in some places 25mph"

Old 01-03-2012, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Yeah, but it is really twisty!

We tried to get a group up last year but it didn't work out. I live about an hour and a half from the Cherokee, NC start of the BRP and have ridden the lower end many times in the Jaguar and on the motorcycle. For those that haven't experienced the Southern Appalachians this is not to be missed.

Perhaps groups starting from both north and south and meeting in the middle.

I'm in.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

I'm in...for at least part of it. Great idea.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:26 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Lads;

Not to rain on your parade as you 'steal' a stage on this side of the pond's summer trip....but Top Gear did a show on the Blue Ridge Parkway last year for the same reasons you suggest....only to pull the plug and get off of it because as Malbec points out very, very limited speeds on it.

The one with... the big US road trip - BBC Top Gear

Hmmm I actually watched this last week....and now it won't play.

Here is a text version

http://www.topgearbox.com/2010/episo...16-episode-01/

Count;

You are welcome to join our trip in the summer from the Loire Valley to Bordeaux....I am sure the PBTW will deign to put up with staying in a Chateau or two to burn up more of your retirement fund.

Speeds will be considerably higher....you can rent an XF from Hertz I think or as I have suggested previously be bungee corded to the back of mine as the Wives drape them selves in the front...if I am not careful I will be bungee corded next to you.

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 01-03-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:34 AM

JamJax "Count;

You are welcome to join our trip in the summer from the Loire Valley to Bordeaux....I am sure the PBTW will deign to put up with staying in a Chateau or two to burn up more of your retirement fund.

Speeds will be considerably higher....you can rent an XF from Hertz I think or as I have suggested previously be bungee corded to the back of mine as the Wives drape them selves in the front...if I am not careful I will be bungee corded next to you."

Thank you and I would love to,,, However the PBTW is taking the kids to Las Vegas in March for a week,,, And that will take a bit out of my Weasel Sack... and I will need a Volitile Market in 2012 to be able to replenish it... Next year we could I need to plan it properly,,,

MALBEC- Just googled Blue Ridge Parkway......
"Maximum speed limit 45mph, in some places 25mph"

This is true,,, However we ARE SEVERLY LIMITED in speed in all of the U.S. based on the ability of our cars... but the veiw is SPECTACULAR,,, it is in the Middle and you can speed on your way there... I DO I was doing 90 -110 yesterday on the way back from Ocala on the Florida Turnpike,,, When the wife asked how fast are you going???? I Told Her and she said to slow down and not to abuse her Kitty,,, She has NO IDEA...

AL-Are you trying to "Up Stage" us? Absolutely not,,, Your invited,,, Just trying to find something to do... Beside you guys have the Speed and Real Mountains over there...

mjlaris- Count me in, but fall would be best for me. Would be better for me,,, I'll be up there then anyway,,, in Linville,,, GrandFather Mountain Area...

We could make it really COOL...

Old 01-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are looking for a real road rally here is one on the East Coast of Canada for you. 2200 km of speed. The only Jags I have seen compete are a XK140 and an E Type.

Targa Newfoundland - It's About the Drive

"Targa Newfoundland is the first and only event of its kind to be held in North America. At 10 years young, every aspect of our high end automotive adventure just keeps getting better. As motorsport enthusiasts, we know that limits were made to be pushed and cars were designed to be driven".

Old 01-03-2012, 08:47 AM

JAGYOUR- Looks like fun but that is over 2000 miles from me,,, and did you SEE this,,,

CALGARY (January 2, 2012) – He became famous overnight as the driver who sailed his million dollar Ferrari Enzo into the river, and now Zahir Rana is eager to get back to Targa Newfoundland to put his “little miscalculation” behind him and finish what he calls one of the most amazing motoring events in the world.

Thank God it was a Ferrari and not a Jag,,, Cats Hate Water...

Old 01-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks Count....save your Weasels.

At least you are not putting ferrets down there, a bizarre English sport, that fortunately has not caught on anywhere else.

JY that Newf. Targa sounds fantastic and the first time I have heard of it.

There is one in Tasmania as well.

Targa Tasmania The History

Been trying to get a friend from Sydney to enter his 430 Ferrari for a couple of years now.

Fall trip might get me back over the pond then I would have to find a Jaguar to use.

cheers,

jj

Old 01-04-2012, 09:57 AM

We might not have the speed here in the States but that DOES NOT STOP US...

Off the Blue Ridge Parkway in Foscoe is OLD SCHULLS MILL ROAD,,, North Carolina's Most Notorious Road,,, And at the top is a Great Restuarant,,, The GameKeeper fantastic menu...

This is how you get there,,, and after watching this video if you don't think that a rallye could be fun,,, Then I am at a loss...LOL

Shulls Mill Road - July 4th, 2011 '93 Miata - YouTube

Gamekeeper Restaurant and Bar

Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Count_Damonee
What do you think??? I mean I would love to do the UK or France,,, But until they build a Chunnel/Tube from the States I'm afraid we're stuck on this side of the pond...

Oh Yeah Sure Fly over and play with Someone Else's Kitty,,, That will go over like a lead balloon with the PBTW... but Honey... its only for a few days... and you know I like yours the best...

So let's do one here... OPEN TO ALL IDEA's... I am on the South End here and figure the middle of the East Coast and available to the Mid-Western States could be the Blue Ridge Parkway,,,

The Blue Ridge Parkway is a National Parkway and All-American Road in the United States, noted for its scenic beauty. It runs for 469 miles (755 km), mostly along the famous Blue Ridge, a major mountain chain that is part of the Appalachian Mountains.

Blue Ridge Parkway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am open to breaking the trip up with a Golf Tourney, Fly Fishing, Hiking,,, What ever you might like to do... MAKE A WEEK OUT OF IT,,,, Spring is always nice and the Fall has the leaves changing colors...

We could organize a real cool one... Whose Game

You only live ONCE...
Keep me informed. I've been thinking of a neat road trip for next spring.

EZDriver

Old 01-04-2012, 10:33 AM

I am very familiar with the Boone, Foscoe, Valle Crusic, Banner Elk, Linville area,,, I can plan this leg of the rallye very well with input from those interested,,, Can make it fun for the guys and the gals,,,

We could include Golf, Fly Fishing, Hiking on some really neat trails, White Water Rafting Excellent Restuarants and I know the local hotels for those interested...

Below are some of the local attractions,,,

Linville Falls, Waterfall on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Festivals & Events- Blowing Rock, North Carolina

GMHG Home Page

GRANDFATHER MOUNTAIN : Wonders Never Cease | Towering almost 6,000 feet above Northwest North Carolina, Grandfather Mountain presents guests with opportunities for rejuvenation, excitement and family memories in a natural haven that will endure for g

Linville Ridge | Golf

Bristol Motor Speedway

http://www.flyfishingnc.com/

Or we could just RACE AROUND the MOUNTAIN...

Old 07-19-2012, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Is anyone still interested in doing this in the fall excepte me. I think this would be great fun.

Mark

Old 07-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I would join ... if I was close to the East Coast.

Any midwest, great plains, southwest guys, how about we do the same? US 89 links 7 national parks and it passes through the Rockies where in a lot of stretches during Fall have light traffic. Not too much twisties, there are some near Sedona and Oak Creek canyon near Flagstaff, maybe. It certainly is not the 'Tail of the Dragon' ... but it's a really scenic highway stretching from AZ to MT.

Sorry Count, did not mean to hijack .... carry on back to the original topic.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I still am!

I live about 2 hours from Cherokee, NC, the southern start of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Am very familiar with roads and restaurants from 20 years of big bike riding. I would suggest a start just before the prime leaf season the middle of October. Mid week days are going to be much better than weekends. The Parkway is no fun with traffic doing 25 mph.

I would also suggest starts from both the north and south ends with a meeting in the middle. The parkway is 469 miles of 45 mph driving across 3 states. Adding the Skyline Drive through the Shenandoah National Park adds an additional 106 miles so this is a vacation, not just a day ride. With a published schedule anyone could join for a day or a lunch.

Sign on with interest and lets see what develops. Target the weeks of October 8th or 15th and please indicate preference in a response.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi...line-drive.htm

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/index.php

Last edited by test point; 07-20-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Count I'm in we try to head that direction at least twice a month. Just got back from a 4 day 650 mile trip. As test Point can confirm lodging can be an issue during the fall with the leaves changing. We have already booked reservation for 2 weekends in Bervard NC at a local B&B. Speed is an issue but the traffic will be a greater problem.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Test Point we will be in Bervard the Oct 12 -13, i am sure we could add a day or two.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:22 AM

I am still in for a fall run,,, I need to be up in NC in Oct...
I have not been able to get up there yet this year...

Sorry for not being more visible here over the last couple of months...

Been Fishing...

Quick Reply: An east coast road rallye