XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical issue

Went out to start the car and the battery was dead. Got it started. Tried 2 days later, battery dead again. Also noticed the windshield wipers were off but still were running when I turn the ignition key, like they won't fully shut off. Also the window keeps creeping down after I had put them up. How is this all happening when there is no key in the ignition and is this my battery problem?

Old 08-29-2017, 05:03 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Have your battery and charging system checked. You can take it to Auto Zone, Advanced Auto or Sears they do it for free.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Double check the little trap door switch at the ignition switch, right where the key goes. It is known to stay stuck in the open position, leading the car to "think" the key is still in, leaving circuits activated, and draining the battery. Probably needs some lubricant.

Of course, you car will need a good battery to work correctly.

As you battery drained, you will need to reset the windows. Press and hold the window up button until you hear a faint click. Hold the down button until you hear the same. Repeat on the other side. That should do it.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:53 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My windshield wiper always turns on when I start the car. But it's because I have long legs and even with the seat all the way back I end up hitting the wiper stalk with my knee when I'm settling in.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz
Double check the little trap door switch at the ignition switch, right where the key goes. It is known to stay stuck in the open position, leading the car to "think" the key is still in, leaving circuits activated, and draining the battery. Probably needs some lubricant.

Of course, you car will need a good battery to work correctly.

As you battery drained, you will need to reset the windows. Press and hold the window up button until you hear a faint click. Hold the down button until you hear the same. Repeat on the other side. That should do it.
I'll give that a try. Just spray some non flammable lubricant in the keyhole?

Old 08-30-2017, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Well, the switch is what closes the keyhole when there is no key in it. You should be able to see it (it's not deep in the keyhole). That is what needs lubrication. I assume you would want to use something you would not mind coating part of the key and find it's way on your hands and pockets. I would start with a silicone-based spray.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:23 AM

And the hits keep coming....bought new battery, now the car has an engine code light, the cars in failsafe mode with a restricted performance warning.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

You might as well get yourself a code reader and put some info in your signature line. This may take a while.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi Bob . . . and don't panic yet. Rarely are new batteries sold fully charged. Threads here are full of members reporting that their new battery actually delivers worse results than expected. Alternatively, battery cable connections, and especially ground connections to body, are notorious culprits . . . more so if disturbed, and you have been in there.

There is only one measure that is relevant here and easily done and it is not "good" or "fully charged". . . measure the actual battery voltage using a DVOM or whatever you call a multimeter. Anything less than 12.6V deserves a charge. Do not allow the "surface charge" present immediately after a charge to inflate the true value . . . wait until the morning after. Remove, inspect and clean all those major battery and ground connections.

These may not be sources of your problem . . . yours may be a Jaguar just like one I once had, which falls apart all by itself in the dark of night . . . but I don't trust mysterious coincidences until proven, and your symptoms still point to a battery voltage problem.

Best wishes,

Ken

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (09-16-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 08:10 PM

Any recommendations on a code reader? Took the car to have tires balanced and a front end alignment. I was told I had a leaking waterpump(they showed me) a bad ball joint and tierod. They said I'd have to have the rack replaced $1700.00 and water pump $350.00.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:21 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

If you have a smart phone download Torque and go to ebay and get a OBDII Bluetooth adapter and you will be set. As for the water pump simple to replace.

Link to Water pump JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Tie-rod not a problem, Ball joint a little more difficult to deal with. What is wrong with your rack that it has to be replaced?

Old 09-11-2017, 11:05 PM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Bob, put year and type of Jaguar in your signature please.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

+1 to Gus on both rack and w/pump. Several good write-ups on both here to add to Gus' JagRepair.com link.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 09-12-2017, 07:26 AM

I checked youtube(love that site) Watched a guy replace his tie rod in 20 minutes. Looks like it took a special tool to unscrew the other end of the tie rod. Where can I get that tool?

Old 09-12-2017, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gus
If you have a smart phone download Torque and go to ebay and get a OBDII Bluetooth adapter and you will be set. As for the water pump simple to replace.

Link to Water pump JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Tie-rod not a problem, Ball joint a little more difficult to deal with. What is wrong with your rack that it has to be replaced?
I don't know Gus. I think they were just scamming me because I came in with a Jag, and maybe they didn't know how to fix it. Heck after 4 hrs there, They pulled off the centercaps and I was missing 6 lug nuts. They are regular 1/2 inch nuts and they charged me $95 for 6 damn lug nuts.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:44 AM
Old 09-12-2017, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Do a search for "ELM327", there are TONS of options. The latest models have both Bluetooth and WiFi, so should work with both Android and Apple devices.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:34 PM

Do a search for "ELM327", there are TONS of options. The latest models have both Bluetooth and WiFi, so should work with both Android and Apple devices.
This the one? ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Car Code Reader Diagnostic Scanner For Android PC

Old 09-13-2017, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

I have the Bluetooth version of this one:

W903-ELM327-OBD2-OBDII-Auto-Bluetooth-WiFi-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-iOS-Android

There are TONS of choices, including from vendors with stock in the US (faster shipping). Remember, Bluetooth versions are for Android devices, iPhones have to use WiFi devices. Easiest is to pick a device that does both as they are pretty cheap.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:01 AM

I have the Bluetooth version of this one:

W903-ELM327-OBD2-OBDII-Auto-Bluetooth-WiFi-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-iOS-Android

There are TONS of choices, including from vendors with stock in the US (faster shipping). Remember, Bluetooth versions are for Android devices, iPhones have to use WiFi devices. Easiest is to pick a device that does both as they are pretty cheap.
Does the one you posted work on the V8 models? According to the "compatibility" chart it just says for V6?

Last edited by Bob Ford; 09-16-2017 at 09:58 AM.