XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electronic suspension fuse location

Old 09-09-2017, 11:08 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default electronic suspension fuse location

I just installed Billstein, non-electronic shocks on the front and need to remove the electronic suspension fuse. Is this system called CATS? My understanding is the fuse is in the trunk. Car is a 2002 XKR convertible with electronic suspension
Thanks

Old 09-09-2017, 12:21 PM

Now my ABS, traction and suspension fault warning lights are illuminated. I tried removing the module in the trunk to no avail.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Are you able to make any progress on this? I do not have the system, so I am not able to provide actual help with it. The fuse chart is in the owner's manual. From memory, folks disable the system by pulling a fuse. Removing the module might possibly interfere with whatever bus this system is on.

As usual, I would recommend fin tuned searching of this forum. I usually get very good results with the Google "site: notation, like:

some search terms site:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17

This way, it searches just this forum, not the broad internet.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:41 AM

According to the research I did, the "fuse" is actually a module located in the spare tire well, attached to the bumper side of the wheel well, slightly to the right as you are standing in the centerline of the car looking forward. THe module has a long connecter of about 20 pins. I disconnected it and the ABS, Stability control and suspension warning lights remained. The common denominator between all of the systems is 3 axis accelerometers, I hope the module does not contain them. There must be an easy way to do this as most XK8 do not contain this feature (i.e. it is an add on) given that there must be a way to remove the feature. Currently I have two non-CATS Bilsteins up front and the original CATS shocks in back. I also wonder if my ABS and Stability Control is not working or if there is just one warning light for everything?

Old 09-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by VAXKR
Now my ABS, traction and suspension fault warning lights are illuminated. I tried removing the module in the trunk to no avail.
The accelerometers are located external to the CATS Module. They connect ONLY to the CATS Module.

Disconnecting the CATS Module should result in NO Suspension Fault messages. It will result in any CATS Shock that is still installed to go into the FIRM Setting.

The ABS and Stability Control messages are caused by something other than disconnecting the CATS Module.

This is true on my 2000 XKR and should be the same on your 2002.

The following users liked this post:
VAXKR (09-11-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Hmm, it sounds like you have identified the actual module. I would put that back in place, with the connector attached.

Looking at the owner's manual, in the luggage compartment fuse box, this module is protected by a 20A fuse, at position #2. It is surrounded by 5A fuses in position #1 and #3 (for helping you locate it). I am talking abut those $.50 colored fuses. I would remove that 20A fuse and see what happens. You might have to start the car and drive a short bit to clear these ABS errors. On and off your driveway should be enough.

I would also give some thought to the idea of a mismatched set of shocks. My understanding is that these adaptive shocks default to stiff. I believe it is for rebound only (vs compression). Speaking in broad-brush generality, the stiffer end of the car takes more load and, everything else being equal, would slide first. In other words, you possibly have shifted your car's handling towards oversteer a bit. Something to keep in mind in the wet, I suppose.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:28 AM

First - thanks for the replies. I do intend to replace the rear shocks and in fact have a set of non-CATS Bilsteins to match the front (complete with mounts), I just need a few hours to do it. In the interim, I will start with the fuse and also erase the error message via my OBDII, if that does not work I will replace the fuse and then disconnect the module and erase the messages as well. Hopefully that will do the trick

Old 09-11-2017, 04:25 PM

So in a moment of self-reflection, literally when I was laying in bed, I determined a solution. Seems that in my haste to complete the job I did not connect the wheel speed sensor cable and thus I received several faults. So I took the wheel off and luckily I had pinned the connector behind any of the moving parts - so it was intact, I simply reattached it. I then took out my OBD II reader and erased the codes. Unfortunately, the suspension warning light persisted so I reinserted the fuse (see above) and then disconnected the module. The suspension fault warning is extinguished and I am very happy. Thanks to all who commented.