XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty... Did anyone purchase one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Extended Warranty... Did anyone purchase one?

The first vehicle I was going to look at was a 2003 XKR convertible... It had 78,000 miles and a transferable extended warranty... The owner said Alpine Jaguar in Fort Lauderdale honored all the coverage,,, He had an issue with an Oxygen (1) sensor and the dealer replaced both No Problem... Switches were covered ETC. so he said...

I called the company and reveiwed the website and disclaimers, seems Upfront. I was curious if anyone has used them? United Repair Plans...

UNITED REPAIR PLANS

I called on one car - a 2000 XKR with 44,000 miles and was quoted for a car titled in Florida 5 yrs 100,000 $3650

Same car BUT titled in North Carolina $2550

Honored at any ASE Certified Shop Anywhere

$100.00 deductable

Must drive the vehicle at least 1000 miles and a 30 day wait period...

Would love to hear the Good the Bad and the Ugly if any on this...

Old 12-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I have 2 Jags, an '02 XKR and an '02 X-Type and have extended warranties on both. The warranty on the XKR cost a little over $3k and the warranty on the X-Type cost a little under $3k. However they are different kinds of warranties. The warranty on the XKR is a standard warranty, like you would get on a new car, with a 5 year/100,000 mile term. It covers everything except things like belts and other consumable type parts specifically listed in the warranty. Basically, if a part is not listed in the warranty as not being covered, then it's covered.

The warranty on the X-Type only covers parts specifically listed in the warranty. If it's not listed, then it's not covered. It covers mostly only major parts, like the transmission, drive train, major engine parts, etc. and it's term is only 3 years or 175,000 total miles on the car.

The reason for the difference in the warranties is that my XKR had only 34k miles on it when I bought the warranty and the X-Type had 130k miles on it. Both warranties started after 30 days and 1k miles.

So, you need to check to see which kind of warranty you're buying, exactly what it covers, and decide if it's worth it. For me, in a year of owning the X-Type I've only needed one major repair, $2k for the throttle body, and it was covered, nearly paying for the warranty after a little more than a month's ownership. I've only had the XKR for about 4 months and have had no problems with it.

While I have found that Jags are reliable cars, even relative minor repairs can be very expensive, unless you ca do most of the work yourself.

One other thing, I have seen adds from one of this sites sponsers saying that they specialize in Jag warranties. I don't know anything about them but you may want to give them a look.

Mark

Last edited by mjlaris; 12-22-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Better to be your own insurance company and put $100 to $200 a month in a bank account for service. Then it is there if you need it, and it is yours if you don't.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Default WhiteXKR

I do like that Idea,,, I am the type to evaluate the Time Value of Money...(kinda like Options). The initial risk is the Immediate Mechanical Failure. Taking into account the year of the vehicle, the Most Common Types of Issues/Cost, Previous Care, the mileage of the vehicle and the anticipated mileage you will drive over the years to be covered. It might not make sense... Or worth the Roll of the Dice...

I could put it in the Weasel Sack till I need it... Not bad...
It would be 2-3 Grand UPFRONT for the coverage.

$200 a month in 10 months is $2000...

I had thought of this angle,,, My only concern was major failure were I would want a Dealer to fix the issue...

Thanks for the input it helps with the total risk analysis.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I spent many years dealing with time value of money and now, with current interest rates that means almost nothing.

Remember . . .

. . . the insurance company always wins.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Default Test Point

"I spent many years dealing with time value of money and now, with current interest rates that means almost nothing."

Never Invested in a fixed returned product... Equities, Annuities here... So Interest rates have no bearing on me at this point.... Other then to borrow money on the cheap... But I don't believe borrowing money at this stage in life,,, No need to...
Pay cash for what you want... And if you do not have the cash to buy it,,, YOU CANNOT AFFORD IT....

Just turned 48 this month... When I was looking for the car for the wife, I saw one that I wanted her to see. We went to Fort Meyers to see the car, she liked it and I put a deposit on it. Told them I would be back later that week and pick up the car....

I drove over with a friend wearing my Blue Jeans and Crocodile Boots. The owner said I love your boots,,, I said they are Crocodile and I have a wallet just like it...
We went over the car and paperwork. After everything was in order I looked at him and said I guess you want to be paid,,, He nodded yes.

I reached down and Pulled $26,000 out of my Boots... I looked up and said they double as a wallet... He looked at his shorts and flip flops and said "I need to get me some,,, Flip Flops don't cut it..."

Old 12-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I agree with you in regard to paying cash. I'll be 53 in a little over 2 months and paid cash for both my Jags, as well as everything else I buy. I have no mortgage, no credit card debt (everything paid in full at end of month), and no car payments. I run my own business and business is very good. Maybe I should get a pair of Crocodile Boots?

Mark

Old 12-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Another idea.

Decided to go on offense after a few red and yellow warning lights. I replaced tensioners,water pump, thermostat and all fluids (including transmission) Also installed conv. relief valve and a new rear view mirror. I've cleaned wheel sensors and some fuses and had the throttle body cleaned. The hoses could still burst, but I have confidence now that I could take a long trip and I figure it's cheaper to prevent rather than to repair! I've spent about $ 2500 and a warranty was about $3000 that I didn't buy. I had 16,000 miles on the car that I bought six months ago. Time will tell if I did o.k.......Merry Christmas!

Old 03-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the UK and bought a 2001 XK8 in March 2011.
I paid £499 for a 'lifetime' warranty from VAG.
Best £500 ever spent.
Within 6 months I needed a new throttle body.
It was replaced in 4 hours at Marshall Jaguar in Ipswich at a cost of just over £1,400.
Cost to me?
Nothing.
VAG didn't even query it.
One call from Marshall is all it took.
Diagnosed on Monday, fixed on Tuesday.
I'll buy another IF I ever change my gorgeous XK8 (Unlikely)
Roy.

Last edited by roymattblack; 04-05-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I will be paying cash for my Jag and plan to get a warranty, too. I expect to pay about $3k for the warranty and look at it as peace of mind coverage. If I need it, it's there, if I don't - well I guess that's the chance I take. I will be reading the policies very closely so I can get the one that meets my expectations as closely as possible. Haven't looked at any yet, just started looking into it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think putting x amount aside is the way to do it

Old 04-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I got a 4 year warranty on the XKR when it was 3 years old with 32,000 miles and just about out of the factory warranty. The warranty cost $3,000. It is a good warranty but the only thing that ever happened was a bad ABS sensor. It paid, minus the $100 diagnostic fee and the $100 deductible. The most expensive thing that happened was a damaged wheel and tire from a small pothole that cost over $2,000 for a replacement and it is not covered by warranty (insurance covered the $1900 wheel though, just not the $400 tire). The XKR is a very pricey car to fix and it could easily make the warranty a good idea. You just never know when you will need it though.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Your warranties in the US seem incredibly expensive.
$3000 is 'about' £1800.
Even the 'Premium 5 star lifetime' warranty I bought (which even includes oil seals and leaks and breakdown recovery) was only £499 - currently $800.
Is there any reason for this massive difference?
Roy.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

A family member of mine paid over $2k for the ABS sensor problem on her S-Type, so if you paid anything close to that, plus the $1.9k covered for the wheel, you made out pretty darn good on getting the warranty -- I assume when you said the insurance covered the wheel, you were talking about the warranty, right?

Old 04-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Any time you can get a transferable warranty (where the current warranty is transferred to you for a small fee)....DO IT! I got one for $50 when I bought my ZR-1. It saved me about $10,000 in covered work over the next couple of years. Yeah, they fought like hel to not cover some things, but a good service manager can save you a bundle.

OTH: I have not been able to justify paying $3500....or even $2500...for a new warranty. Maybe I'm taking a risk on my (now) 115K '97 XK8, but I've already done all the normal fail items and only drive it a few thousand miles a year, I can't see giving someone else money that probably won't ever pay off.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

I like your optimism, but I think of it like catastrophic health insurance -- if you never need it, oh well, but if you do....you'll be glad you have it.

Last edited by OldMike; 04-02-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 04-04-2012, 06:47 AM
Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Can you even GET an extended warranty on a (mine), 97 Jag w/117,000 miles??

Old 04-04-2012, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member

I don't know, you should call around and see.

I clicked on a link in this forum for a free quote two or three days ago -- still no response. I'm going to try calling later today. Would like to know the price and terms and limitations and exclusions.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
A family member of mine paid over $2k for the ABS sensor problem on her S-Type, so if you paid anything close to that, plus the $1.9k covered for the wheel, you made out pretty darn good on getting the warranty -- I assume when you said the insurance covered the wheel, you were talking about the warranty, right?
The dealer charged about $500 to diagnose and repair the ABS sensor. I paid $200 and the extended warranty paid $300. My collision insurance paid for the wheel. Hitting a pothole is a road hazard. So after three years, the warranty has paid out $300. Not a very good bet so far. I got the warranty to protect from drivetrain failures. A bad tranny could make th ewarranty look very smart. Since I paid about $500 to change the fluid, electronics sleeve and pan on the tranny, I am hoping to avoid a tranny failure at 100K which is more common than we like to think.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty... Did anyone purchase one?